Forest Hills

Via Garibaldi 8

Just a thought- the LIRR Forest HIlls stop is literally at the beginning of Forest Hills Garden, so if you are willing to spend the extra dough, it will cut out any extra walking. Then again, if you want a feel for the area, the QM4 gives a nice tour of the surrounding area. It is all very nice, low crime, well maintained, etc. etc. The people that live in Forest Hills Gardens from my experience tend to be kind of snobby. Also, if you think Queens streets in general are confusing, the streets in FH Gardens are 10 times worse. I'd keep my smartphone with me so as not to get lost. 

Just a thought- the LIRR Forest HIlls stop is literally at the beginning of Forest Hills Garden, so if you are willing to spend the extra dough, it will cut out any extra walking. Then again, if you want a feel for the area, the QM4 gives a nice tour of the surrounding area. It is all very nice, low crime, well maintained, etc. etc. The people that live in Forest Hills Gardens from my experience tend to be kind of snobby. Also, if you think Queens streets in general are confusing, the streets in FH Gardens are 10 times worse. I'd keep my smartphone with me so as not to get lost. 

LOL... Riverdale doesn't have a street grid either, so Forest Hills Gardens can't be any worse and we're pretty snobby here too, so the snobbery doesn't bother me in the least.

Most neighborhoods in Western Queens are not served by express buses (Subway coverage is serviceable in many parts, though not comprehensive. Many residents around here are not willing / not able to pay a premium fare for a ride to Manhattan). Forest Hills (proper) is a wealthy enough neighborhood to be an exception despite already having a fairly robust public transportation service.

As a longtime resident of Northwest Queens, I find that the street grid in Forest Hills isn't nearly as confusing as Elmhurst (many streets are angled from major thoroughfares + random streets abruptly curve and change directions) or Corona.

If you ever decide to grab a quick bite, plenty of options in downtown Forest Hills (on or between Queens Blvd & Austin Street, near 71st Avenue). Also a few stores / fast food at Metropolitan Avenue if you end up venturing that far enough.

That all points to Forest Hills...  <_<  That must mean that it's served by the Forest Hills trains station no?  I'm looking at an (MTA) map that just shows Forest Hills but not Forest Hills Gardens.  Is it a subsection of Forest Hills?? 

Edit: The QM4 stops right at Queens Blvd and Jewel Avenue, which isn't too far from the Forest Hills train station.... So from there how far is Forest Hills Gardens?? 

Forest Hills Gardens is a fairly secluded area- nothing goes in there as far as buses go. Your best bet is taking the LIRR to Forest Hills, it'll drop you off just outside the perimeter. In there, that's all private streets...

A lot of area names share zipcodes in Queens. My zip code has at least five.

Electchester is very far from where you want to go. It's closer to Fresh Meadows...

Kew Garden Hills is also quite far from Forest Hills proper - it's east of the Van Wyck, and if I had to give it a center i would say Main St & Jewel. Predominantly Jewish, and I love the local bakery's rugelach.

Forest Hills Gardens is probably what you're looking for - after exiting Forest Hills station on the QBL, head south on 71st Av away from Queens Blvd and go past the railroad tracks, and you're there.

Forest Hills proper, as I understand it, is north of the railroad tracks, and consists of mostly commercial development south of Queens Blvd and homes and co-ops north of it. I'm not going to attempt to give it bounds, since it seamlessly transitions into Rego Park and Kew Gardens.

You're on the mark about Electchester. If I had to give it a center, it would be Jewel and Parsons. That area is not in the neck of the woods you're looking for.

You are pretty much on the mark for Kew Gardens Hills. Main Street is probably a ghost town on Saturdays since it is an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. It was certainly that way when I lived there as a little child.

Forest Hills Gardens is a subsection of Forest Hills proper, to answer VG8's question. This subsection of Forest Hills is approximately between Metropolitan and the railroad tracks, from south to north. Most of the businesses in Forest Hills are either south of the Forest Hills Gardens on Metropolitan or north of the railroad tracks on Austin Street and Queens Blvd.

Forest Hills Gardens is a fairly secluded area- nothing goes in there as far as buses go. Your best bet is taking the LIRR to Forest Hills, it'll drop you off just outside the perimeter. In there, that's all private streets...

You're on the mark about Electchester. If I had to give it a center, it would be Jewel and Parsons. That area is not in the neck of the woods you're looking for.

You are pretty much on the mark for Kew Gardens Hills. Main Street is probably a ghost town on Saturdays since it is an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. It was certainly that way when I lived there as a little child.

Forest Hills Gardens is a subsection of Forest Hills proper, to answer VG8's question. This subsection of Forest Hills is approximately between Metropolitan and the railroad tracks, from south to north. Most of the businesses in Forest Hills are either south of the Forest Hills Gardens on Metropolitan or north of the railroad tracks on Austin Street and Queens Blvd.

LOL... You two are a bit late to the game, but thanks nevertheless... 

Archived