7 Day B/O Training Help

bfediuk1224

Forget everything you know or think you know about driving. Just do everything the way they want it done.  If you can follow there directions you will be OK. They want it done the TA way.

I am on day 2. I also got an unsatisfactory because I passed my reference point on a turn (going too fast) and had to reverse to avoid hitting a parked car. Then I immediately clipped a curb on the next right turn because I was again in a hurry and turned before the reference point. I was actually done driving but did not know that the superintendent wanted me to pull into the bus stop and switch. He then told me to go around the block to pull into the bus stop. That's four right turns and that's when it happened. Everything else was ok. I will bring my A game tomorrow the good Lord willing but this training in not easy. I am starting to feel like I might not make it. This is coming from someone who has been driving big rigs interstate for a couple of years and has been to a few of CDL schools.

You have two chances to pass the DMV road test if you qualify on day 7 or 9. They will give you a pre road and take you to the road test site. I was told that everything they tell you may not be 100% what the DMV wants so be carefull. If you fail the first time you get one more day of training and another pre road. If you fail the second time you're done. You could find a driving school in the bronx that knows what the instructors are looking for and knows the testing site by Zerega. You could take a lesson with them too to be sure. A friend was told by MTA instructors to make a particular turn from a particular lane. He did it on his road test and failed. 

Hope that helps

Yes that helps a lot. Thanks lawkev. I'll look in to that school near that depot as soon as I get my start date. Did u qualify from training?

Just a suggestion and of course the final decision is totally yours: If your list number is not immediately close (you won't be called within the month of august to take your drug test or medical and you had intentions of taking a few CDL lessons to familiarize yourself or to try to get your license before you get called for training) providing you have the spare time & $$$ to take lessons before training now is probably a great time to do so. Take advantage of the time between now and then to ease any fears, to learn your ALSAPS & pre trip interior / exterior walkthroughs and possibly obtain your Full CDL license so it's one less thing to worry about along with the normal pressures of qualifying. Either way I wish you the best of luck on your journey. 

I'm going to day ten.

You can do it!  Trust me I of all people know it's hard to do but, try hard to get out of your own head and relax so you can executive well. You know this stuff just replay all the things your intructor showed you in your head and make the necessary corrections. Good news ahead I'm sure.

You can do it!  Trust me I of all people know it's hard to do but, try hard to get out of your own head and relax so you can executive well. You know this stuff just replay all the things your intructor showed you in your head and make the necessary corrections. Good news ahead I'm sure.

I needed that.

Thanks

Just a suggestion and of course the final decision is totally yours: If your list number is not immediately close (you won't be called within the month of august to take your drug test or medical and you had intentions of taking a few CDL lessons to familiarize yourself or to try to get your license before you get called for training) providing you have the spare time & $$$ to take lessons before training now is probably a great time to do so. Take advantage of the time between now and then to ease any fears, to learn your ALSAPS & pre trip interior / exterior walkthroughs and possibly obtain your Full CDL license so it's one less thing to worry about along with the normal pressures of qualifying. Either way I wish you the best of luck on your journey. 

I appreciate the suggestion but the thing is I'm waiting to be called for final processing within the next week or so cause I did the 1st drug test back on 7/2 and got the call to come in 4 medical on 7/24. When I was there on the 24th they told me that they'll get in contact with me via phone. I also took another drug test that day after I was done with all the medical exams. I'm from exam #8094 list #29**. I was also informed from members on this site that since I'm this close I would just wait and get the training from the MTA.

I appreciate the suggestion but the thing is I'm waiting to be called for final processing within the next week or so cause I did the 1st drug test back on 7/2 and got the call to come in 4 medical on 7/24. When I was there on the 24th they told me that they'll get in contact with me via phone. I also took another drug test that day after I was done with all the medical exams. I'm from exam #8094 list #29**. I was also informed from members on this site that since I'm this close I would just wait and get the training from the MTA.

Your most welcome I was unaware of where you were in the hiring process however, you & these who advised you previously are absolutely right your way too close to take lessons now. We are on the same list and since the class this monday is full you'll more than likely be called within the next week or so to final process for the class on the 12th.

This whole process has been very stressful especially now that the ball is rolling pretty quickly. Which I don't mind at all cause I've been

waiting for this opportunity for about 5yrs. I have a few Qs 4 u how thorough r they with the whole background check with the whole CPD app

and fingerprinting process? Do they really call and confirm with all of ur work history you've had for the past 10yrs? How long after final

process do they call u to get a date and start training? Thank you!

I needed that.

Thanks

Your very welcome. Trust me I was right where you are so I can more than relate. I trembled & shed more tears than hurricane katrina I was so nervous. It was all in my head. I wish I had access to this forum and additional support when I was going to day 10 a few years ago. We can drive and we have the benefit of being trained by the best in the MTA So we have the knowledge it's the follow through we have to get past. I just pray your nerves will subside and you'll be headed back to zerega on Tuesday I look forward to following in your footsteps (training) within the next few weeks. Try not to worry.

@ Moski79er

In response to how thorough your background investigation will be.......... EXTREMELY! they will check all info and if it happens to be damaging they won't hesitate to pull you off the line and have you hand in your pass.

Omissions are as bad a providing false information be as accurate as possible if you by chance forget something on your initial packet after turning it in notify them ASAP So it won't be held against you.

As far as how long after final processing there is no after. When your called in to final process you will be fingerprinted, take your ID picture and told What day to report to Zerega Avenue for training. That first day is paperwork verbal instruction & your assignment to a depot and instructor for training whom you will report to starting day 2 until the day you qualify or not (either day 7/9/or 10)

Question: If you don't mind me asking..... You mentioned it took almost 5 year's how so?

What I meant to say with this Q is how do u know that I'll be called for a class on 8/12? thank you!

I obviously don't have a crystal ball or possess the power to speed up processing or I'd be in training as we speak lol however, based on your list # and me keeping in frequent communication with the liaison in charge of hiring bus operators off this list I am aware that the last july class is full and begins Monday morning. Also, with the next class set to begin August 12th should you receive your call to complete processing within the next two weeks you should have no problem being placed in the next class as I know a few people with numbers in the same range as you who have already been scheduled for that class. On another note: If there is a great deal of people who clear medical between the last hired and you & the class becomes Full before reaching you then they will schedule you for the class that follows but, since your So close I doubt the latter statement will be the case.

Question: If you don't mind me asking..... You mentioned it took almost 5 year's how so?

Well I took the 8094 exam back in Dec '08. Which was for conductor and then came along the opportunity to get off that list and take the

BOSS survey for the B/O back in may'13. It's just been a long time coming and in no kind of way Am I messing this lovely opportunity 

up. I worked in my parents business back in the day for over 10yrs. When I put that down in the app do I put myself as "SELF EMPLOYED"

and explain in the space provided that it was a family business or what? Thanks again 4 all the answers you've giving me as they made me

feel at ease.  :D

Well I took the 8094 exam back in Dec '08. Which was for conductor and then came along the opportunity to get off that list and take the

BOSS survey for the B/O back in may'13. It's just been a long time coming and in no kind of way Am I messing this lovely opportunity 

up. I worked in my parents business back in the day for over 10yrs. When I put that down in the app do I put myself as "SELF EMPLOYED"

and explain in the space provided that it was a family business or what? Thanks again 4 all the answers you've giving me as they made me

feel at ease.  :D

Unless you are a partial owner I would list myself as an employee as if it were any other employer. However, place a call to HR to ask how they would like you to list it it may be as you stated or similar. Either way it could save you time on filling out additional sheets to change it. Your welcome I am learning right along with you. Glad I could help a bit.

Archived