Staten Island bus lane cameras are being flipped on; those who get fined can review video

Turbo19

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Some bus lane cameras on Staten Island are now active, the city reports. And those caught riding, parking or standing in the lanes won't just receive a summons in the mail -- they'll also get a web link to a video that purportedly catches them in the act.

The new bus lane cameras have been installed at locations on Hylan Boulevard and Richmond Avenue, where Select Bus Service is offered. Unlike the still cameras used to catch those who run red lights, these bus-lane cameras shoot video -- something that can work for and against drivers who receive a "Notice of Liability" in the mail.

On the plus side, the videos are reviewed by Department of Transportation workers for evidence of legitimate circumstances that may nullify a ticket. On the negative side, the video can show conclusive evidence that a motorist was just sailing through the red lane, oblivious to the regulations.

When the rules are in effect, motorists are permitted to enter the red right lanes to make the next immediate right-hand turn or to pick up or drop off bus passengers on the fly. Parking, of course, is not permitted, but neither is standing in the lane -- you can't idle your vehicle in the bus lane while your pal completes a bagel run. If a camera catches the motorist breaking the rules during the posted enforcement times, the vehicle owner could be socked with a $115 fine, according to the city Department of Transportation.

Read More: Source

Finally. I'm sure I and many others here look forward to increased regulation of the bus lanes. I must also add it's hilarious to see most typical Staten Islanders getting riled up about the enforcement, as evidenced in the articles comment section. All around this will be a great (if not hilarious) benefit to bus riders in the borough of Staten Island.

Typical Staten Island rhetoric.  I need my gas guzzling oversized SUV and I need two lanes for myself down Hylan so I can go 50 just to go to the next red light....  <_<

Yeah, and once the get across the light they'll down the accelerator, than slam the brakes and pull into Burger King, White Castle, whatever. Typical I tell you.

Anyone here disagree at all, because I find it very true.

Yeah, and once the get across the light they'll down the accelerator, than slam the brakes and pull into Burger King, White Castle, whatever. Typical I tell you.

Anyone here disagree at all, because I find it very true.

lol... Yeah the drive through is king because of course no one can be seen walking anywhere... 

Good.  They need to have video rather than just pictures because with a still picture you can't prove whether or not someone was just picking up or dropping someone which is legally permitted, or whether or not someone was using the bus lane to make the next available right turn or was just using it to bypass traffic.

They should do that everywhere in the city. It just makes me mad when I'm on a bus and a truck or a car is blocking the bus lane and me and everyone else on the bus is forced to wait because these vehicles are blocking traffic. Happens all the time in Flushing and Jamaica that's why it can take sometimes 15 minutes just to travel 4 to 5 blocks in those areas. I never knew Staten Island was so rough. I expected it to be one of the nicer New York City boroughs.

They should do that everywhere in the city. It just makes me mad when I'm on a bus and a truck or a car is blocking the bus lane and me and everyone else on the bus is forced to wait because these vehicles are blocking traffic. Happens all the time in Flushing and Jamaica that's why it can take sometimes 15 minutes just to travel 4 to 5 blocks in those areas. I never knew Staten Island was so rough. I expected it to be one of the nicer New York City boroughs.

But Albany and AAA believes that either

• It's a ploy by the city to grab money out of hardworking middle class workers' wallets (please, most of them take mass transit to work anyways)
  • It's a ploy to steal jobs from traffic police (which is also bs, because traffic police barely ticket anyone for speeding compared to the actual amount of people who speed, which is basically everyone)

At least we're not Houston - the city voted in a referendum to get rid of their red light camera program, because everyone was getting hit by it. <_<

You'd expect Staten Island's insurance rates to be higher to because of what VG8 said, sadly it's not.  Damn Brooklyn.

Anyways, good to see this being done.  And it's good that you can review, because some uncertain things can happen.  Like say I want to make a right turn that needs me to be on that bus lane to make and the light turns red, I'm screwed.

Happened to me once with a red light camera, lots of traffic on Hamilton Avenue and I caught at the end of the box after the light changed.  Luckily the judge gave me a pass on that.

But Albany and AAA believes that either

• It's a ploy by the city to grab money out of hardworking middle class workers' wallets (please, most of them take mass transit to work anyways)
  • It's a ploy to steal jobs from traffic police (which is also bs, because traffic police barely ticket anyone for speeding compared to the actual amount of people who speed, which is basically everyone)

At least we're not Houston - the city voted in a referendum to get rid of their red light camera program, because everyone was getting hit by it. <_<

morons Won't camera enforcement make HOVs effective.

1 suggestion and 1 question... the fine should be higher ($150 - $200). And whats the rule on non-transit buses (school buses, tour buses, commuter buses) in the bus lanes? Are they allow to use them? Because when I use to take the SBS M15 every day, the driver would always have to pull out of the lane to go around a slow traveling school bus or commuter.

1 suggestion and 1 question... the fine should be higher ($150 - $200). And whats the rule on non-transit buses (school buses, tour buses, commuter buses) in the bus lanes? Are they allow to use them? Because when I use to take the SBS M15 every day, the driver would always have to pull out of the lane to go around a slow traveling school bus or commuter.

IDK I do think commuter buses should be allowed though. But I think they are already.

Good. As someone who uses the S79 SBS, it's nice to see the city clamp down on those Hummer-driving douchebags in the bus lanes. Show them the tape and then let em explain how them cruising through the bus lane and then parking in it during bus access hours was just an honest mistake.

Archived