C riders Happy with New equipment

VIP

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well South Ferry is just one example of a bunch of botched projects.  Canal St is another disaster amongst many that went array.

Canal St?!

Here is what I m having trouble understanding. If the main reason for the C/J and Z swap is the over excessive heat in the tunnels, then why not make the C line 100% R160 for the summer? Does the MTA  honestly believe that the R32s remaining on the C won't break down on them?

Because the 207th and Pitkin aren't set up to maintain and inspect R160's, so any major work and inspections on the cars require (costly and crew-hungry) transfers to East New York. Temporarily moving a small number of cars for about two months avoids the inspection issue.

The R160s are also having the same overheating issues as the R32s.

No they're not. Don't believe everything you read.

Actually, the main reason for the switch is for ENY's R160s to go thru SMS. 

The first R32 train on the J was transferred to cover for R143's and R160's out of service for CBTC modifications.

The swap of five more R32 trains for five R160 trains was for air conditioning.

What are you so puzzled about? I remember when that station was being re-done and it looks horrendous today, particularly the (N)(Q) platform, but also the (J)(Z) connection looks poor as well.  A combination of a lack of upkeep and shoddy construction/materials.

Don't forget how bad the transfers are there. There is too much usage and not enough maintenance. 

But the station literally reflects the neighborhood sooo.........

Those transfers are mostly the fault of the BMT. The MTA could TRY to do something about it but I see no solutions possible due to the Lex, Nassau, and B'way lines proximity to street level.

The (A) rider will always complain, regardless. If anything they were lucky to not get stuck with the R32's this year.

On a side note, it's hilarious to see that a topic started by captain obvious led to such a hilarious discussion over subway cars within the system. Not to be rude, but hasn't this been discussed to death? I mean seriously.

I Agree..Didn't know subway cars means that much to people who doesn't live on them....

But the station literally reflects the neighborhood sooo.........

Those transfers are mostly the fault of the BMT. The MTA could TRY to do something about it but I see no solutions possible due to the Lex, Nassau, and B'way lines proximity to street level.

Didn't Times Square get a couple of passageways redone during its renovation?

It's located in Chinatown.

Normally I would be extremely offended, but I can understand the sentiment and it's nice out, so no need to spoil that.

Normally I would be offended but I took a couple of shots, so yeah. ;)

I don't what that has to do with keeping the stations up.

Well now you do have a point there, indeed. We discussed this before in a different thread and we both had to bring up the same opposing argument. Upkeep of stations is more dependant on MTA construction planners and the capital construction budget against profits from revenue collection and grants from Albany, made against priority of stations depending on the urgency of repairs, station by station, and so forth.

Well now you do have a point there, indeed. We discussed this before in a different thread and we both had to bring up the same opposing argument. Upkeep of stations is more dependant on MTA construction planners and the capital construction budget against profits from revenue collection and grants from Albany, made against priority of stations depending on the urgency of repairs, station by station, and so forth.

Yeah Canal Street really is an (MTA) issue.  The station isn't cleaned and maintained properly. It has nothing to do with it being in Chinatown.

That's because it was a joke. I knew the heat was bad but geez, it's causing mood swings and joke misses.

I got the joke. Bobtehpanda and myself, Asian American to Asian American inside joke. But then VG8 and myself broke the issue down objectively. Nothing wrong with that. 

But I appreciate the heart in your comment though. All good.

The (C) would of been 600ft if the R32 were retired as scheduled so idk where and why the MTA is going to keep the (C) at 8 cars. It serves the busiest line. (8 av). Another thought, how the hell are we in 2013 and the only yards that "cant "handle" R160s" are 207 and pitkin? This is just as ludicrous as the (3) not using R142s.

The (C) would of been 600ft if the R32 were retired as scheduled so idk where and why the MTA is going to keep the (C) at 8 cars. It serves the busiest line. (8 av). Another thought, how the hell are we in 2013 and the only yards that "cant "handle" R160s" are 207 and pitkin? This is just as ludicrous as the (3) not using R142s.

I seriously hope you and LTA are joking...

Archived