A new connection

You mean Junius (3)(4) and Livonia (L). But even then, wouldn't there be the issue of necessity?

Actually yes...quite a few people asked me how top get to the (3) after getting off the (L) and walking across the bridge.

Maybe an out of system transfer could work

agreed. They have reprogrammed turnstiles to accept out of system transfers like with the D and N at 62nd st when they were rebuilding the connection, it's not like they can't do the same for other parts of the system: QB-QBP, Broadway-Lorimer.. 

=

I dunno what I missed about this new tunnel, but if it's to get Broadway to have another tunnel for Queens-Manhattan service, then why not just route some R trains via 63rd, which is underused? If there's a need for a new tunnel, the Steinway tubes should be replaced so the 7 can be converted to a B division line and no longer need odd numbered cars and can carry more riders (using 60' car trains).

agreed. They have reprogrammed turnstiles to accept out of system transfers like with the D and N at 62nd st when they were rebuilding the connection, it's not like they can't do the same for other parts of the system: QB-QBP, Broadway-Lorimer.. 

=

I dunno what I missed about this new tunnel, but if it's to get Broadway to have another tunnel for Queens-Manhattan service, then why not just route some R trains via 63rd, which is underused? If there's a need for a new tunnel, the Steinway tubes should be replaced so the 7 can be converted to a B division line and no longer need odd numbered cars and can carry more riders (using 60' car trains).

The merge from 63rd St to QBL is already a source of delay during the rush. Not to mention, you cut off (R) access to Queens Plaza (which may or may not be a good thing, since it may boost (M) ridership to the point where it becomes viable to make it a weekend line).

============

Junius to Livonia, Hewes to Broadway, Atlantic to Fulton, and QBP to Queens Plaza. That pretty neatly sums up every pair of stations suggested for a free transfer at some point in time. (Cortlandt and WTC should get one when the Dey Street Passageway opens, because no one's going to use that tunnel if you can't make a transfer over it.)

Unfortunately, MTA's stance is that the free transfers can be exploited in areas with both bus and subway service, so they really don't like adding any more. Theoretically, you could get on at Houston, transfer to the (6) at 63rd, and go north, but then use the M15 to come back down, all for free.

The merge from 63rd St to QBL is already a source of delay during the rush. Not to mention, you cut off (R) access to Queens Plaza (which may or may not be a good thing, since it may boost (M) ridership to the point where it becomes viable to make it a weekend line).

============

Junius to Livonia, Hewes to Broadway, Atlantic to Fulton, and QBP to Queens Plaza. That pretty neatly sums up every pair of stations suggested for a free transfer at some point in time. (Cortlandt and WTC should get one when the Dey Street Passageway opens, because no one's going to use that tunnel if you can't make a transfer over it.)

Unfortunately, MTA's stance is that the free transfers can be exploited in areas with both bus and subway service, so they really don't like adding any more. Theoretically, you could get on at Houston, transfer to the (6) at 63rd, and go north, but then use the M15 to come back down, all for free.

Well, I don't mean run the R permanently via 63rd, but select trains IF 60th st is congested since there's nowhere to send the N/Q from Astoria other than via 60th.

Agreed, it would be great, convenient and cheaper to have mc transfers if they MtA doesn't feel it's worth millions to build new passageways to connect 2 points together.

What may be a compromise is that they don't give free transfers at the transfer points bobtehpanda proposed but reduced fare transfers. Now the fare is $2.50 With such a reduced fare transfer it would be, for example, $1.25 (or $1.50 or whatever reduction they wanna go with). That way the (MTA) still makes some money out of it while keeping commuters happy by not letting them pay the full fare again.

Archived