LIRR package deals not always the best deal - Splish Splash

PinePower

Especially when your "North Fork Express" is an un-airconditioned Cheese Bus. This is what I've been seeing this summer. Instead of the usual coaches, you have cheese buses.

And they really pack 'em in there.

999037_618061731552280_1655722392_n.jpg

1045186_618061734885613_265138671_n.jpg

So I was doing a little math to see just how good of a deal this "package" is. As usual, people in zones 1-3 get the best deal, for $63.75 they get round trip rail, shuttle bus, and admission. So this breaks down to saving $25.50 from Zone 1, and the $39.99 admission. Which means North Fork is only getting nothing round trip for your cheesy shuttle. But from Long Island zones, such as 7, the price is the same as the city. So now we figure the fares round trip are $10.50 for LIRR, so now North Fork gets $10. From Zone 10 things really get so interesting it really doesn't pay. Round trip LIRR ticket is $6, now North Fork gets almost $15 for the round trip shuttle. I saw some unfortunate victims rush over buying the package ticket at the LIRR office in Ronkonkoma today, and they weren't even taking the train, just this cheese bus to Splish Splash. So they'd have saved almost $20 by just using Suffolk Transit! And they'd have had air conditioning. I dont know how LIRR figures these package deals out but they seem to be unfairly priced against LI'ers. Then again, LIRR's schedules seem to be unfair against LI'ers who aren't traveling to the city! Of course lets not forget there's no senior discount for the package, Splish Splash admission to seniors is $27.99, as well as under 48'' tall. So seniors from Penn would pay $16 + 27.99 which means North Fork gets $15. I think North Fork is making loads of $$ on this, and to top it all off they have the nerve to use a school bus! The LIRR and these private crook oops I meant coach companies seem to have some type of inside deal. With Riverhead being the major destination it has become, you'd think Suffolk Transit would offer some type of clipper service like the S110 between Ronk and Riverhead, or the LIRR would provide better train service to Riverhead, and at a new station by Tanger (the tracks go right behind), but something fishy is going on because those options would be cheaper and the schoolmans, jitneys, and north forks wouldn't be able to rake in the dough. 

I guess they are not able to negotiate with the (MTA) for a package deal on the n87 for this summer. For those with unlimited m/c's it wont matter though. I did ask when the ticket will be able to be used on the n87 on NICE's Facebook, maybe you can follow up.

So they'd have saved almost $20 by just using Suffolk Transit! And they'd have had air conditioning. 

I wouldn't hold them to that, there have been reports of buses in service with busted A/C's. 

Some school buses have A/C on them. I know Suffolk Transportation had some, mostly on buses made in the late 90\s and early 00's I believe. I think Laidlaw/First Student had some buses with A/C\s two when I was in High School. I'm not surprised that North Fork doesn't since they are in line some how with Montauk Bus Service and that company is said to not be a very good/ cheap company. (I'm assuming a school bus with A/C would cost more then a School bus without A/C.)

I wouldn't hold them to that, there have been reports of buses in service with busted A/C's. 

Some school buses have A/C on them. I know Suffolk Transportation had some, mostly on buses made in the late 90\s and early 00's I believe. I think Laidlaw/First Student had some buses with A/C\s two when I was in High School. I'm not surprised that North Fork doesn't since they are in line some how with Montauk Bus Service and that company is said to not be a very good/ cheap company. (I'm assuming a school bus with A/C would cost more then a School bus without A/C.)

I believe the owner of North Fork is related to the Montauk Bus Service owner.

Archived