Mega Bus crashes into overpass at Port Authority

46Dover

Oh man, I took that same Megabus route to Pittsburgh and back last year for work and that was quite an experience. Young, inexperienced driver in the snow who was quite nervous and literally said "I really don't want to drive in this weather." We got to New York about 3 hours late. I took it round trip and there were maybe 30 people total at any time, even after picking up students at Penn State U., so I really don't know why they need a double decker bus. 

Another thing on that: GPS does not work for buses as it would for cars for this very reason

If someone were to use a GPS you'd think they'd have enough brains to use one made for trucks and not cars...  Would a GPS made for a car actually route someone into the PABT?  Talk about a bad day for a tourist from Kansas or something, getting lost in there...  LMAO

If someone were to use a GPS you'd think they'd have enough brains to use one made for trucks and not cars... Would a GPS made for a car actually route someone into the PABT? Talk about a bad day for a tourist from Kansas or something, getting lost in there... LMAO

PAPD watches every entrance like a hawk, no car's getting in there lol.

lol too bad they didn't catch the DD before it hit the bridge.

Question for those who have worked for MegaBus or CoachUSA, it sounds like it is very clear based on the posts here that a driver is to pull over and call dispatch as soon as a driver realizes they are off course.  So, why are drivers not doing this?  Do they get bitched at by dispatch or management?  Get disciplined for getting of course?  I'm wondering why someone ignores such a direct order and risks a spectacular f uck up instead? 

lol too bad they didn't catch the DD before it hit the bridge.

Question for those who have worked for MegaBus or CoachUSA, it sounds like it is very clear based on the posts here that a driver is to pull over and call dispatch as soon as a driver realizes they are off course. So, why are drivers not doing this? Do they get bitched at by dispatch or management? Get disciplined for getting of course? I'm wondering why someone ignores such a direct order and risks a spectacular f uck up instead?

All I can say is Coach USA instructors were very bullish in height clearances with us (at least in Elizabeth, they were). As for why drivers don't call dispatchers, who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men?

No wonder I didn't see it. This had nothing to do with New Jersey Transit...

At the time I felt it did since the incident fouled NJT Bus Operations (and Lakeland, my company) six ways to Sunday

• 2 weeks later...

If someone were to use a GPS you'd think they'd have enough brains to use one made for trucks and not cars...  Would a GPS made for a car actually route someone into the PABT?  Talk about a bad day for a tourist from Kansas or something, getting lost in there...  LMAO

It used to happen all the time, but at the Dyer Ave entrance to the North Wing Lower Level (the Greyhound entrance).  Out-of-town tourists coming from the Lincoln Tunnel following their GPS were instructed to "take the next right turn", and instead of waiting for 42nd Street, they would turn into the 'authorized buses only', marked underpass entrance.   Sometimes they would get all the way down the ramp, and even go the wrong way into the one way traffic pattern in the North Wing, until either realizing their error when encountering a bus coming at them, or else Greyhound personnel directing them back out.

This ended a couple of years ago, after a newspaper series on Port security ripped the P. A. for these breeches as well as at the South Wing entrance and exits, the Port Authority posted officer's to guard these portals.

As for the incident mentioned by the Megabus....was it at the south tube (right lane on Dyer) entrance to the Upper Level ramp, or the center tube (left lane on Dyer) entrance to the Upper Level ramp? 

I am guessing at the latter, since in the AM rush hour, that is the one used coming off the Bus Lane thru the tunnel.   The driver was probably fairly new on the run, and just followed some bus in front of him, forgetting that he had to take the right lane at the 'split' to make the U-turn exit onto 40th street, as suggested by BZGuy.   Even in that case, wouldn't the bus  have first struck the hanging "tell-tale" before making it up the ramp far enough to get wedged under the roof, or is that 'tell-tale" only on the outside lane and not the inside?

• 4 weeks later...

It used to happen all the time, but at the Dyer Ave entrance to the North Wing Lower Level (the Greyhound entrance).  Out-of-town tourists coming from the Lincoln Tunnel following their GPS were instructed to "take the next right turn", and instead of waiting for 42nd Street, they would turn into the 'authorized buses only', marked underpass entrance.   Sometimes they would get all the way down the ramp, and even go the wrong way into the one way traffic pattern in the North Wing, until either realizing their error when encountering a bus coming at them, or else Greyhound personnel directing them back out.

This ended a couple of years ago, after a newspaper series on Port security ripped the P. A. for these breeches as well as at the South Wing entrance and exits, the Port Authority posted officer's to guard these portals.

LOL WOW!

When it goes with GPS, even with Trucker GPS, they are not reliable. That's why Greyhound tells us to NEVER EVER USE IT. Sadly, people still do since the route guides that we get are not 100% accurate.

I have went through greyhound training, another respected school bus training program before that and currently deliver school buses, transit buses and other vehicles around the country.  I use google maps to plan my routes and traveling around the country I have never had a problem, I adjust the route avoid parkwways and if I wasn't sure I would stop at local truck stop and ask if trucks are allowed on XYZ, it's as simple as that.  Just do what we are taught, watch signs for bridge sizes and you won't have a problem.  I often go into downtown areas of cities  but never have a problem because I stay alert and look for dangers!  When I'm on the road I'm in a new city everyday, no directions, route guide, or lefts and rights from the compant, never have a problem because of what I described above but always hear about fixed route operators like Greyhound or Megabus hitting something because the got off route.  SMH, I'm "off route" everyday and don't have a problem...  Maybe if these drivers could think after they got off route these problems wouldn't happen!

On of the senior driver had a great quote, he was an older guy who did NYC PHILLY and DC...  Mr. Mathews?  He said "I can teach anyone how to try a bus, but I can't teach anyone common sense, that's what Greyhound looks for common sense and I teach them the rest!!!"

When it goes with GPS, even with Trucker GPS, they are not reliable. That's why Greyhound tells us to NEVER EVER USE IT. Sadly, people still do since the route guides that we get are not 100% accurate.

Van Hool has one of the most reliable and flawless GPS systems in the world so that can't be the flaw with this MegaBus crash.

Van Hool has one of the most reliable and flawless GPS systems in the world so that can't be the flaw with this MegaBus crash.

The flaw was human error, and human error seems to be happening a lot more often these days.  Scary. :o

Exactly. If you trust a computer to tell you where to go and how to get there, you'll never be ready for when it tells you wrong. I love technology but I don't trust it. Human instincts will always win over technology.

Archived