Mid-Day Flatbush Shooting Sends Bullets on the B35

MHV9218

As far as I'm concerned anything above Avenue H or Avenue I is a no-go for me depending on where in Brooklyn I'm at in comparison to Flatbush.  <_<

Look, I don't think NYC is the city for you. You're scared of the subways and basically any neighborhood that doesn't have people making six figures living in it. This is New York, and at some point you're gonna have to get out of that comfy little shell. Otherwise, you'll keep posting stuff about how well of course there's a shooting there, like it's a scary black people neighborhood oh my gosh on these forums and generate two pages of people calling you out for it. If you bother to actually step foot there, parts of Flatbush look pretty damn good, and you won't immediately get robbed and stabbed. In fact, nobody will care that you are there because they have lives. Take a field trip out there some day, you'll be surprised. Be sure to take some flares, pepper spray and a whistle with you, though, just in case.

Remind me again...when was the last time you stepped foot in Brownsville? What year was it when you last brought yourself to "the hood"?

Is not as bad as you're making it out to be. You making it seem like someone gonna automatically run your pockets as soon as you step off the (3) train. This isn't the 80s anymore, times have changed and it is a lot safer than what it used to be.

I once fell asleep on the (3) coming from Manhattan. Woke up and made it to Junius. I got mugged, stabbed, and shot and am dead now. :(

Look, I don't think NYC is the city for you. You're scared of the subways and basically any neighborhood that doesn't have people making six figures living in it. This is New York, and at some point you're gonna have to get out of that comfy little shell. Otherwise, you'll keep posting stuff about how well of course there's a shooting there, like it's a scary black people neighborhood oh my gosh on these forums and generate two pages of people calling you out for it. If you bother to actually step foot there, parts of Flatbush look pretty damn good, and you won't immediately get robbed and stabbed. In fact, nobody will care that you are there because they have lives. Take a field trip out there some day, you'll be surprised. Be sure to take some flares, pepper spray and a whistle with you, though, just in case.

I once fell asleep on the (3) coming from Manhattan. Woke up and made it to Junius. I got mugged, stabbed, and shot and am dead now. :(

Lol scary black people :P

Maybe he should move else where there are no "scary black people" and the people are middle to upper class. And he can ride the express bus all the time. Crime is everywhere what's going to happen will happen. Sometimes you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. VG8 you need to stop the stereotyping.

My parents lived in Flatbush before their apartment was robbed going back to when Flatbush was starting to go down the tubes so to speak.  After that they moved out and never looked back.  Can't blame them to be honest.  BrooklynBus is relate to this since he used to live in Flatbush back in the old days.  As I said some parts are okay and some parts are starting to gentrify but some pockets are still quite crazy.  The closest my mom ever came to living near Flatbush again was when we lived in Midwood but even that was a stretch since we were closer to Coney Island Avenue more than anything else.

LOL... Bay Ridge is dense but nowhere like Flatbush. It's further out and more isolated if anything, so it doesn't fit into the category in any way shape or forum.  

When I used to volunteer at the V.A Hosp and I read the local Bay Ridge newspaper during lunch... it had a crime section and people's apartments/houses were ALWAYS getting robbed in Bay Ridge. People had parts of there cars stolen as well in Bay Ridge...

Remind me again...when was the last time you stepped foot in Brownsville? What year was it when you last brought yourself to "the hood"?

Is not as bad as you're making it out to be. You making it seem like someone gonna automatically run your pockets as soon as you step off the (3) train. This isn't the 80s anymore, times have changed and it is a lot safer than what it used to be.

It may not be as bad as it used to be when I was growing up, but listen, I grew up in Brooklyn when most of Brooklyn was the good 'old Brooklyn, and not lined with café's and all of that and all fancy.  Brownsville was always the neighborhood that you stayed away from unless you were going there for a good reason and while it's improved, it still has a long way to go.  Even parts of Bedford Stuyvesant and Bushwick are improving.  I know since I was in the Bushwick/Bedford-Stuyvesant area recently to visit a school to give a speech there and was surprised at how diverse it was, though clearly it was still in transition.  I have friends that live in East Williamsburg so I travel all over Brooklyn even though I'm from South Brooklyn.

Seeing that my parents lived in Flatbush back in the old days before it went down hill and I lived in Midwood for some years which is not far from Flatbush, I think I know what I'm talking about. I grew up in Brooklyn, so I've been to Flatbush on a number of occasions, so sorry I don't need a "field trip". <_<   In fact one of my friends (who grew up in South Brooklyn with me) is a cop with the NYPD and regularly patrols in Flatbush so I get the scoop daily.  

You read what you wanted to read because I stated that there are some pockets of Flatbush that are improving.  I was living in Brooklyn wayyy before so many areas became trendy and the hipsters started coming so I'm old school.  You can suggest that field trip to somebody else, but certainly not me.  From my personal experience, I see no need to go to Flatbush.  For what? A lot of it residential, so unless you know someone there or go shopping there, I have no need to go there.  There are some nice parts with nice brownstones and such, but like some parts of Brooklyn you have pockets and some parts are good and some are bad. 

When I used to volunteer at the V.A Hosp and I read the local Bay Ridge newspaper during lunch... it had a crime section and people's apartments/houses were ALWAYS getting robbed in Bay Ridge. People had parts of there cars stolen as well in Bay Ridge...

Not exactly shocking.  It's not the neighborhood per se but sometimes the hospitals that are the problems.  On Staten Island there was an issue on the South Shore with meth heads walking around the neighborhood causing problems and the neighborhood wanted the organization dealing with the meth heads out but the place had to be somewhere so they have to put up with it.

New York is the biggest exception to the rule - aren't we ranked like in the low 200s on crime per 100,000 people?

The densest county in the United States is Union City, NJ, and it's pretty safe over there.

You're living in the nice times of New York with low crime.  I grew up in the 80's when it wasn't safe to go on the subways alone and crime was high and Times Square wasn't all nice and touristy like it is today.  If it wasn't for Giuliani cleaning up NYC, we'd probably be singing a different tune. 

You still never answered my question...when was the last time you personally been to Brownsville? I could care less about Bed-Stuy/Bushwick. All you have to go by is what you remember growing up so long ago, and by the negative misconceptions the news throws at you.

I've noticed that about you...when someone asks you a question, you only answer parts you want to, then go on some little bullshit reminisce trip that has nothing to do with what was asked.

So answer the question...or is or that you're scared to come to Brownsville...

You still never answered my question...when was the last time you personally been to Brownsville? I could care less about Bed-Stuy/Bushwick. All you have to go by is what you remember growing up so long ago, and by the negative misconceptions the news throws at you.

I've noticed that about you...when someone asks you a question, you only answer parts you want to, then go on some little bullshit reminisce trip that has nothing to do with what was asked.

So answer the question...or is or that you're scared to come to Brownsville...

I thought I already answered the question when I said that Brownsville was a no-go back in the day and still is.  What would I be going to Brownsville for? It's a well known hot spot for crime and other "activities" so unless you live there or have "business" there, I don't see who would be going there just because.  Growing up so long ago?? I'm in Brooklyn on a regular basis, so you can spare me with that nonsense.

There is nothing so special about Brownsville that makes it so "unique" to other areas in North Brooklyn that have or are in transition.  The difference with Brownsville that hurts it may be its location which is the main reason that I see it taking longer to gentrify if that ever happens, but who knows? The hipsters keep pushing east so once they gobble up Bushwick, maybe Brownsville will be next.  :lol:

Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick in particular were no-go's for years, that's why I included them in with Brownsville.  Now they're gentrifying and it's shocking to see the transformation.

We're just going off of the facts buddy, nothing more nothing less.  You may think that Brownsville is fine but based on the crime figures some would argue otherwise.  That's my point.

I must be typing small since you obviously didn't see the question...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU BEEN TO BROWNSVILLE?

I have to reason to be in Riverdale (not do I know anyone there), yet I went dozens of times so obviously it shows you're scared to come to Brownsville...

I must be typing small since you obviously didn't see the question...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU BEEN TO BROWNSVILLE?

I have to reason to be in Riverdale (not do I know anyone there), yet I went dozens of times so obviously it shows you're scared to come to Brownsville...

I see no point in going to a neighborhood just because when I have no reason to be there, esp. one known for high crime. For the third time I said Brownsville is a no-go for me, so what does that say then?  I've been in enough high crime neighborhoods in New York City that I don't feel the need to go on a "tour" as if I'm missing something special aside from a potential bullet.  <_<

If I didn't live in Riverdale, I can assure you that I would not be coming here "dozens" of times because there is no reason to visit here like that and Riverdale has very little crime, so whether the neighborhood has high crime or not is not really relevant.

It was kind of like the time you mentioned that you traveled all the way to Bay Ridge at some crazy hour.  I would never do something like just because that's not me, but to each their own. I've been living in NYC long enough that I've seen a little bit of everything, so being in high crime neighborhoods isn't exactly something I've never witnessed before, but at the same time I would not go out of my way to visit one unless I'm looking for a new experience of some sort. LOL

So you're pretty much admitting you never been there and that you're afraid to come here because of the negative stereotype associated with it...

I'm saying that I've been in enough neighborhoods in my life like Brownsville in Brooklyn that I don't feel the need to make a special visit there.  Back in the day Bushwick and Bedford-Stuyvesant were right up there with Brownsville in terms of crime and I've been to both before.  It's only recently with the hipsters moving in and other professionals coming that those areas have improved, so what exactly am I supposed to be missing in Brownsville that I haven't seen already??

I'm saying that I've been in enough neighborhoods in my life like Brownsville in Brooklyn that I don't feel the need to make a special visit there. Back in the day Bushwick and Bedford-Stuyvesant were right up there with Brownsville in terms of crime and I've been to both before. It's only recently with the hipsters moving in and other professionals coming that those areas have improved, so what exactly am I supposed to be missing in Brownsville that I haven't seen already??

Listen to yourself BACK IN THE DAY yeah it might have been very dangerous but this is 2013. Things change people change you just can't be scared of what happened in the past because one day some maniac might decide to do a mass killing in Riverdale. Just because crime is very low in some areas doesn't mean that its safe from ever having crimes going on.

Listen to yourself BACK IN THE DAY yeah it might have been very dangerous but this is 2013. Things change people change you just can't be scared of what happened in the past because one day some maniac might decide to do a mass killing in Riverdale. Just because crime is very low in some areas doesn't mean that its safe from ever having crimes going on.

Yeah and? There are still some dangerous neighborhoods in 2013.  Crime may be down in NYC but there are still some areas that are crime prone.  Who said anything can't happen in a safe neighborhood?  I'm always on the watch no matter where I'm at because there are maniacs all over the place.  Living in Riverdale with the Jewish population here, it's a target anyway with the crazy terrorists that tried to bomb the neighborhood not that long ago. <_<  

Yeah and? There are still some dangerous neighborhoods in 2013. Crime may be down in NYC but there are still some areas that are crime prone. Who said anything can't happen in a safe neighborhood? I'm always on the watch no matter where I'm at because there are maniacs all over the place. Living in Riverdale with the Jewish population here, it's a target anyway with the crazy terrorists that tried to bomb the neighborhood not that long ago. <_<

Well obviously I know some neighborhoods are still dangerous -_- . You are just so quick to stereotype places just because of what it used to be and the areas around it. If you think an area is bad keep it to yourself. Why do you feel that it's ok to judge and stereotype the people living in the area?

Well obviously I know some neighborhoods are still dangerous -_- . You are just so quick to stereotype places just because of what it used to be and the areas around it. If you think an area is bad keep it to yourself. Why do you feel that it's ok to judge and stereotype the people living in the area?

What stereotype? Brownsville has a high crime rate and that's been a fact for years and Flatbush has had hot spots for years as well. I don't see what exactly is so shocking about that either. Now one can debate as to what areas they feel are bad and so on but if we're just talking about areas with high crime then it's pretty much factual and not about one's feelings.

The stats pretty much tell the story:

"The five neighborhoods with the highest murder rate per capita in 2010 were in Brooklyn, including East New York, Brownsville, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Crown Heights and East Flatbush.  In 2010, those neighborhoods accounted for more than 130 murders, roughly 25 percent of the total murders across the city."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/crime-safety-report/brooklyn

Now yes crime is down, but these neighborhoods have always been known for high crime rates going back to when I lived in Brooklyn and even though this focuses on 2010, 3 years later I don't think those numbers are going to have changed that drastically, hence why I'm not shocked about this shooting in Flatbush.  <_<  What it does show is a trend and how crime has ravaged this neighborhoods for decades.

Stereotype the people that live there like all they know how to do is be bad and go to jail. I won't say anymore because you are crazy and its hard to reason with people that are crazy.

I haven't said anything about the people at all or passed any opinions on the neighborhood. All I said was that some areas have high crime rates which is a fact.  The fact that this happened in an area known for high crime just shows that it shouldn't exactly be shocking for this to have happened.

I haven't said anything about the people at all or passed any opinions on the neighborhood. All I said was that some areas have high crime rates which is a fact.

Nobody cares if some areas have high crime rates. If you don't like it don't say anything. This is life and that is a fact.

Nobody cares if some areas have high crime rates. If you don't like it don't say anything. This is life and that is a fact.

It's not about me liking it or not.  It's about people being shocked that it happened.  All I'm saying is no one should be shocked because the area is known for high crime. Areas with high crime are likely to see these sorts of incidents. That's life and that is a fact.  

It's not about me liking it or not.  It's about people being shocked that it happened.  All I'm saying is no one should be shocked because the area is known for high crime. Areas with high crime are likely to see these sorts of incidents. That's life and that is a fact.  

Well, those of us who live in the real world still are shocked when a SHOOTING happens on a bus. Not a fight, or a mugging, but a shooting, like with a gun. Those, regardless of what neighborhood, are still bad news and a shock. When you say "Well duh of course there was a shooting there in that neighborhood" you sound like a dick. And then you wonder why you have five people responding to your posts telling you that maybe you should rethink your views of the world.

dude SHIT HAPPENS everywhere.

It's interesting how statistics are only recognized when it's to someones benefit, otherwise they are worthless.

That's not to say I'm in full agreement with you, but I see many hypocrites in this thread, LOL.

Well, those of us who live in the real world still are shocked when a SHOOTING happens on a bus. Not a fight, or a mugging, but a shooting, like with a gun. Those, regardless of what neighborhood, are still bad news and a shock. When you say "Well duh of course there was a shooting there in that neighborhood" you sound like a dick. And then you wonder why you have five people responding to your posts telling you that maybe you should rethink your views of the world.

Rethink my views of the world? lol I've probably been around longer than most of you, have traveled more than most of you criticizing me and have seen far more than most of you, including people shot, so no I'm not necessarily shocked.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, so let's just agree to disagree.

It's interesting how statistics are only recognized when it's to someones benefit, otherwise they are worthless.

That's not to say I'm in full agreement with you, but I see many hypocrites in this thread, LOL.

Well it's like hearing of a shooting in Compton and then saying OMG!!  A shooting in Compton.  I mean really, we shouldn't be conditioned to it but that's the way it is.  I've seen a lot of sh*t in my lifetime so no I'm not shocked and I'm not going to feel horrible for saying that I shouldn't be shocked.  People need to get over it and move on.  

This happened on my block.

Was trying to come home from work and couldnt get into the block.

All I know was loads of police tape and a B35 just with the hazards on. I was saying oh boy here we go.

Dude got shot but not killed. And apparently got shot the week before too.

This part of east FB isnt disney. Happened close to Albany and church....

This happened on my block.

Was trying to come home from work and couldnt get into the block.

All I know was loads of police tape and a B35 just with the hazards on. I was saying oh boy here we go.

Dude got shot but not killed. And apparently got shot the week before too.

This part of east FB isnt disney. Happened close to Albany and church....

Don't you dare say that. It's all peaches and roses there.  Shootings in Flatbush? No way!  <_<

Ok, so there's blacks over here in East Flatbush... What the f*** is the big deal.....

As far as this shooting goes, I don't have much to say about it, except I'm surprised that it happened on the bus.....

If it were out on the streets, then I would be like wtf done happened now & dismissed it like it was yesterday's news....

Ever since the Shantel Davis shooting last year (quite sure "KingNas" knows what I'm referring to) over on 38th/church, there has been a significant influx in police presence along church & parts of snyder...... This neighborhood wasn't no damn paradise before that, but jesus christ, WW II aint happenin over here either.....

Archived