George Zimmerman acquitted of murder in Trayvon Martin shooting death

Orion VII 4 Life

on a sort of related note

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

tell me there is no racial bias here and wanna know something else?!  using the same syg arguement  she was prosecuted by the same Prosecutor Corey and team  who is acting like she won an award 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say however, that although I fully support the notion of self defense, if that really was the case that night, I still do not think that that makes one innocent in the killing itself. On a higher level, the blood of the life that he took will always stain him. The reason people are so fired up about this is because of the fact that regardless of the reason, George Zimmerman still took Trayvon Martin's life, and that automatically makes him guilty in that sense. Thus, your celebrating his acquittal is seen by them as a travesty. It's like you're simply ignoring the fact that a kid is dead. Advice? Try to be a little more sensitive around situations that involve people killing other people. Otherwise, you just look like a pompous jackass who condones killing whatever the rational.

It's a victory for our right to self defense, a victory for the great State of Florida and our nation. We're not celebrating death, we're celebrating a victory for our rights and our country. A man defended himself and the Court agreed that he was within his rights, and when you see a man in this day in age where sadly people are so willing to give up these rights win this case, you feel an amazing sense of American pride.

The only irrational people here are the folks who refuse to accept the fact that the Court bas made their decision, threatening to riot on Twitter or maybe doing just that as we speak.

Awesome, I just came back from vacation (very limited connectivity, didn't bother with internet much) and read this. What a pleasant surprise. +1 for the Sunshine State.

Amen brother!

I am not on zimmerman's side, but even though he was found not guilty, chances are he'll need to find some part pf the country where no one knows who he is or isn't gonna try and kill him in retaliation. So in a sense, he is a prisoner wherever he goes. So it isn't going to be the good life.

on a sort of related note

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

tell me there is no racial bias here and wanna know something else?!  using the same syg arguement  she was prosecuted by the same Prosecutor Corey and team  who is acting like she won an award 

She gets 20 years for warning shots, not even lethal or fatal shots, but Zimmerman fires and kills, and he walks free. Both in the name of self-defense. Well, that's justice for you in Florida.

I am not on zimmerman's side, but even though he was found not guilty, chances are he'll need to find some part pf the country where no one knows who he is or isn't gonna try and kill him in retaliation. So in a sense, he is a prisoner wherever he goes. So it isn't going to be the good life.

I can assure you he gets a better life than Trayvon.

It's a victory for our right to self defense, a victory for the great State of Florida and our nation. We're not celebrating death, we're celebrating a victory for our rights and our country. A man defended himself and the Court agreed that he was within his rights, and when you see a man in this day in age where sadly people are so willing to give up these rights win this case, you feel an amazing sense of American pride.

The only irrational people here are the folks who refuse to accept the fact that the Court bas made their decision, threatening to riot on Twitter or maybe doing just that as we speak.

Amen brother!

So only you and your fellow conservatives have actual American Pride?

Personally glad to see the American way of self defense prevail yet again! ^_^

There are fireworks going off in the sky here in Manalapan, NJ (I just got home from the city, God knows what's going on up there but I hope no rioting), and I saw lots of them going off along the Turnpike as well. God Bless America!!!!

Personally you sicken me. How you have no remorse is very disrespectful and your overall attitude is distasteful to say the least.

You make me f**king sick.

Agreed 100%.

And looking at how this thread already started I predict it won't last long, especially how some users are around here...

Which is why I'm typing 1000 WPM. I know this thread won't last 24 hours.

I personally feel that we as people have every right to express our opinions, but we should all know that criticism will follow as easy as acceptance.

NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!

No lie, preach!

Downvoting news I have no control over? Nice work man.

Your prevalent attitude was a bit unnecessary.

You had control over what you said afterward:

I never read this case as one of self-defense.

Exactly.

Self defense was a claim the defense pulled out of their ass as a last ditch attempt.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...

Knowing him hell no.

Except I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to downvote things we don't personally agree with. I'm not downvoting the other guys here.

Far from it my friend! USA! USA! USA!

You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's sad to see you don't even acknowledge Martin.

Lol, really? As if you haven't downvoted anything you don't agree with.

LOL.

Not cool man <_<:angry:

Understatement.

My post went through? Damn, I have more.

I could have said more but I didn't wanna start anything that could have lead to me getting banned.

Understandable. It's all good.

Thanks for posting, thus allowing my additional replies.

People will down vote whatever they want to, for whatever reason. To be honest, we will never really know what happened that night, so to take such a strong side either way is folly.The fact is that the man was acquitted. Rightfully, or wrongfully so is not my place to judge. In the end, justice will play out as it was meant to.

Sorry, I have to disagree as I've had experience first hand with the corrupt justice system serving the U.S.

Am I doing that now?

Besides, Harry made a post somewhere that it wasn't OK to do that, and I'm done with downvoting anything really unless it's spam or something.

The fireworks were cool actually! Gives you a real sense of American pride, you can feel it rushing through you.

Fireworks? Do you realize how irrelevant that even is? Do you? If anything they symbolize ignorance.

I weep for the future.

No further comment necessary.

I wasn't talking about the fireworks.....

As I've said they're meaningless.

Thanks man. The legal system has done its work, the case is over, and no matter your opinion this is how it played out.

I just hope, for the sake of every one of us, that there are no riots. Accept it and move on.

What a crock. Amazing how your attitude shifts so fast.

and you are just as bad as the jerk defense attorneys who are gloating by putting a kid on trial and stomp on his grave... cause they damn defense attorneys flooded the conservative talk shows and did a whole load of victim blaming. i hope you are happy heck you already even ruled after arraignment, you got your dangerous precident going on to where we can profile hunt and kill kids... i am ashamed to live in florida, now i see why they call florida the gunshine state.

I can only imagine what you must be going through right now, living in what is basically a utopia of degenerates. My genuine pity.

You should be proud to live in a state where you can easily own a gun and defend yourself. In fact, I see myself potentially living there come a few years...

Yes, as I've previously said everything is so much safer when I flash my 9mm in front of my clerks face when I buy my daily smokes.

Keeping peace, yeah right.

Personally you sicken me. How you have no remorse is very disrespectful and your overall attitude is distasteful to say the least.

Your prevalent attitude was a bit unnecessary.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's sad to see you don't even acknowledge Martin.

Of all the posts you quoted, you forgot the one where I said we're not celebrating dearh, we're celebrating a victory for our rights. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd quote it.

Someone making MHV sick?  Winning!

You're up next, so don't act so damn mighty.

So, continuing.

What came out of that courtroom tonight was because of our legal system that we've had in place for years. If you wanna be butt hurt about a verdict that came out from a jury selected randomly from people of the state of Florida and a verdict that probably has no effect on you whatsoever, then go ahead and complain or move to another country. But I personally, see no problem with what came out tonight, especially considering both sides of the case agreed to the jury selected to hear the case which somehow was all women (something that doesn't happen often).

The verdict has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever, and most of the BS that is coming up now in the media is people complaining about the verdict and saying justice wasn't served, blah blah blah. You feel so pissed off, then go complain in that upcoming civil suit and push to get Zimmerman deported or something. But don't fill my TV screen with more of this crap. Now where is the damn remote?

I must say I am shocked by your insensitive mannerism as well. It's one thing to be annoyed by the constant replay of the trial (I am as well), but if you aren't interested why even partake in the discussion?

From The Atlantic:

Personally for me, after seeing how the news media like CNN can reach new, morally depressing lows in regards to coverage of a major trial, I’m kinda glad that the trial is finally over. It went from what is supposed to be a serious legal affair into a full blown, reality-TV style media circus.

And in all honesty, the prosecution never had a legitimate shot anyway of gaining a conviction. The seeming lack of preparation on their part and effective questioning by the defense, coupled with Florida’s moronic “Stand your Ground" law, all but ensured that Zimmerman would walk free. Surprised about the Manslaughter acquittal, though.

I think BreeddekalbL has every right to feel ashamed, this trial and the outcome was a disappointment from the start. Honestly, you just sound so offensively patronizing and arrogant right now.

Part of the glamorization is likely why the verdict ended as it did, but if anything it showed the public how forgiving the justice system truly is, even today.

I will say however, that although I fully support the notion of self defense, if that really was the case that night, I still do not think that that makes one innocent in the killing itself. On a higher level, the blood of the life that he took will always stain him. The reason people are so fired up about this is because of the fact that regardless of the reason, George Zimmerman still took Trayvon Martin's life, and that automatically makes him guilty in that sense. Thus, your celebrating his acquittal is seen by them as a travesty. It's like you're simply ignoring the fact that a kid is dead. Advice? Try to be a little more sensitive around situations that involve people killing other people. Otherwise, you just look like a pompous jackass who condones killing whatever the rational.

Thank you! I'll agree with that.

Im not happy and besides "guns go wild here" in florida i live in the most screwed up state you see why when i post in another thread with a better topic to lighten the mood

also i saw more victim blaming from the defense attorneys then a trial

As I said already, I genuinely feel for you.

So far I have not heard any reports of rioting or looting and it's been almost two hours since the verdict was given.

At least. If the mainstream can be civil throughout this then at least something came out great.

Awesome, I just came back from vacation (very limited connectivity, didn't bother with internet much) and read this. What a pleasant surprise. +1 for the Sunshine State.

You sicken me.

Degenerates like you are just useless objects that impede progress in this fine country. To call yourself a proud citizen of the United States is a disgrace.

Of all the posts you quoted, you forgot the one where I said we're not celebrating dearh, we're celebrating a victory for our rights. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd quote it.

Look it up now.

It's kind of hard when I'm quoting 25+ replies to this damn thread.

I'd gladly give up my right to bear arms. I have no frets over it. I have no need for a gun. Unless it's the zombie apocolypse. Or a war fought here. Those are the extreme situations where I'd use a gun. Not in a situation where one would go "Well, that guy looks like he comes from the ghetto, so I better prepare myself".

I'd gladly give up my right to bear arms. I have no frets over it. I have no need for a gun. Unless it's the zombie apocolypse. Or a war fought here. Those are the extreme situations where I'd use a gun.

Just as you have every right to exercise your right to bear arms, you have every right not to, and if that's how you want to play it that's perfectly fine. And as long as no one's forcing their anti-gun agenda on the rest of the country trying to take away our Constitutional rights to bear arms, I got no problems.

I'd gladly give up my right to bear arms. I have no frets over it. I have no need for a gun. Unless it's the zombie apocolypse. Or a war fought here. Those are the extreme situations where I'd use a gun. Not in a situation where one would go "Well, that guy looks like he comes from the ghetto, so I better prepare myself".

To me it goes further than that.

I don't take issue with the ownership of weapons, but rather I take issue with the regulation of said weapons in this country.

I'll touch on one issue right now, the open carry of weapons. If Florida wasn't so lenient than perhaps the state wouldn't be dealing with so many untrained/incompetent people owning firearms, and worse carrying in public. Perhaps if firearms were further regulated cases like this could be avoided.

Just a thought.

The only irrational people here are the folks who refuse to accept the fact that the Court has made their decision, threatening to riot on Twitter or maybe doing just that as we speak.

So you feel a sense of pride in the fact that according to you, anyone has the right to kill anyone else as long as it can be justified under the broad term of self defense? I really have to wonder if you have people you really care about and are close to you, because I am willing to bet a small fortune that if one of those people made a simple mistake and someone else killed them in "perceived self defense," you would be hard pressed to stay true to your current train of thought. So easy it is for us to depersonalize things that don't affect us directly; we could care less if we personally have nothing to lose. But put someone we care about in the line of fire, and everything changes.

And Turbo, the ultimate justice I was speaking of in the first reply I posted has nothing to do with the American justice system, which I also agree has many flaws. No justice system is perfect, but it is in place of no justice system at all. Things happen the way they happen for a reason, and I truly believe that no matter how dark any situation is, there is good that can come out of it.

And Turbo, the ultimate justice I was speaking of in the first reply I posted has nothing to do with the American justice system, which I also agree has many flaws. No justice system is perfect, but it is in place of no justice system at all. Things happen the way they happen for a reason, and I truly believe that no matter how dark any situation is, there is good that can come out of it.

Which in itself is horrible. Zimmerman will continued to be catered to like a victim if anyone were to attempt to "make it right". As I said it wouldn't be shocking and is almost guaranteed.

Which in itself is horrible. Zimmerman will continued to be catered to like a victim if anyone were to attempt to "make it right". As I said it wouldn't be shocking and is almost guaranteed.

You see it that way; I see it another way, and we are both entitled to our opinions. I'll leave it at that.

So you feel a sense of pride in the fact that according to you, anyone has the right to kill anyone else as long as it can be justified under the broad term of self defense?

If I'm being physically threatened or someone comes into my home, I can and will defend myself against the person(s). The fact that I can do that is part of what makes this country so great, it makes me feel safe here and proud to be an American. What do you expect people to do in those situations? Nothing? Also, you libs seem to have no problem with me calling 911, waiting minutes of valuable time for a police response, and them potentially ending up firing shots.

If I'm being physically threatened or someone comes into my home, I can and will defend myself against the person(s). The fact that I can do that is part of what makes this country so great, it makes me feel safe here and proud to be an American. What do you expect people to do in those situations? Nothing? Also, you libs seem to have no problem with me calling 911, waiting minutes of valuable time for a police response, and them potentially ending up firing shots.

It's almost funny that you think this is even remotely similar to a random racist deciding to follow and then murder a young kid without any prior confrontation. 

It's almost funny that you think this is even remotely similar to a random racist deciding to follow and then murder a young kid without any prior confrontation.

And again with the race card. You guys really gotta stop playing that, it makes you look bad and you know it's not true.

I insinuate nothing of the sort, and if you've read what I clearly stated before, people have a right to defend themselves if they so choose. HOWEVER, the way you're wording your responses makes you look like a heartless wretch who is PROUD that we have an "inalienable right" to kill others whom we perceive may threaten us, while ignoring the fact that you are taking the most precious thing from that person: their life.

And again with the race card. You guys really gotta stop playing that, it makes you look bad and you know it's not true.

Then take the word "racist" out, replace it with a more neutral term, and you get the same result without the race card. Why is this point so hard for you to see and understand?

It's almost funny that you think this is even remotely similar to a random "dude/guy/man/vigilante" deciding to follow and then murder a young kid without any prior confrontation. 

This is the problem I see: Americans are so damn concerned about all their personal rights and everything they're entitled to that they get all sucked up in stupid debates such as this one, rather than consider that instead of thinking in such an individualistic mindset, perhaps we should think more about our community and society as a whole. It's all about "MY RIGHTS!!!" and not about how perhaps if we gave up certain things, we could achieve so much more than this bickering state of existence.

Wow, were all of you there, watching it happen?

No, you weren't.

Now stop it.

The justice system only seems to work, accoruding to some of you people, when you agree with it's decisisions. There's a reason justice is supposed to be blind. SCOTUS finds in favor of one thing one day, and a certain subchatter was calling for them to be starved to death, when the next, they find in favor of another thing that fit his agenda and everyone is supposed to be happy about it.

I took a look at that quoted atlantic article. "The murder trial of George Zimmerman did not allow jurors to deliberate over the fairness of Florida’s outlandishly broad self-defense laws. It did not allow them to debate the virtues of the state’s liberal gun laws or its evident tolerance for vigilantes"

This is where the bullshit really starts. The jury's job is to weight the evidence and facts of the case and render a verdict. they are not law makers.

Simple way it really works, what the jury worked with:

Did zimmerman shoot martin? Yes.

Can I, as a juror, say without a one iota of doubt that he was not "defending himself?" No, they couldn't.

If you have any realistic doubts what so ever, you MUST vote not guilty. That's way they say "Beyond a resonable doubt". The prosecution could not remove the doubts of 6 people.

Do I think this was right? I don't know. Nothing ether side said had me convinced.

Zimmerman got off because the jury looked at the evidence. The fact is no matter how emotional anyone gets, there was simply no evidence to support that he killed Martin outside of the laws of Florida because even though Zimmerman started the confrontation, the fact of the matter is Florida law states that if he felt his life was in danger then he has a right to defend himself.  This is why he is free because there is no evidence to support the idea that he killed Martin for any other reason aside from the fact that he felt his life was in danger.

The prosecution had a duty to prove that Zimmerman killed him for other reasons that they simply couldn't prove.  Now with that said, clearly the jury was questioning whether or not he should've been convicted on the manslaughter charge.

Laws aside, I think it's troubling that you can be minding your own business and someone can start a confrontation with you and then argue Stand Your Ground.  What is evident is that Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin because instead of staying put as the office recommended, Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin.  Had that not happened, maybe he would've never been on trial in the first place.

If you're confronted by a complete stranger I don't see how a confrontation wouldn't ensue. I mean some stranger who is not a cop but just a vigilante comes along and starts questioning you about what you're doing here and so on.  I would think most people would react violently maybe because they fear that this guy maybe some sort of weirdo out to harm them.  You never know.  My first or second night in Italy I thought some guy was following me and my first reaction was that I had to get away from him and if I couldn't then I was going to beat the crap out of the guy if he approached me and tried to start something.

I insinuate nothing of the sort, and if you've read what I clearly stated before, people have a right to defend themselves if they so choose. HOWEVER, the way you're wording your responses makes you look like a heartless wretch who is PROUD that we have an "inalienable right" to kill others whom we perceive may threaten us, while ignoring the fact that you are taking the most precious thing from that person: their life.

I'm proud of it because it gives me a sense of safety and security I am unable to have in many other countries.

If someone is physically threatening (and especially if they're attacking) someone or breaking into a home, they are asking to be met by Mr. Glock or his buddy Mr. Shotgun. To say that someone doing one of those things isn't asking for that to happen is ridiculous. I value life, but making a move you know can get you killed is asking for that to happen. It's like jumping onto the train tracks to get your phone when there's a train coming in.

I'm proud of it because it gives me a sense of safety and security I am unable to have in many other countries.

If someone is physically threatening (and especially if they're attacking) someone or breaking into a home, they are asking to be met by Mr. Glock or his buddy Mr. Shotgun. To say that someone doing one of those things isn't asking for that to happen is ridiculous. I value life, but making a move you know can get you killed is asking for that to happen. It's like jumping onto the train tracks to get your phone when there's a train coming in.

And that's a very big IF they're attacking. I know a lot of us know when to use force to defend ourselves, and all the more power to those who do. But what you're doing here is taking a case in which you very well don't know what happened and are just pulling general assumptions out of your ass. I think your over the top celebrating this "triumphant victory" is ridiculous, considering the possibility that you may actually be wrong, and Zimmerman did indeed unjustifiably kill Martin, and there simply was not enough hard evidence to prove otherwise. And if it was indeed an unjustified killing (which we will probably never know), then instead of being a victory, this was a tragic failure of the American justice system. You can't just look at things from one perspective. You have to consider all possibilities. Things are never black and white; there is a LOT of grey.

And to challenge others who think that Zimmerman won with this acquittal, I argue the opposite. This outcome merely opens up more doors for further legal action in the civil courts that could plague him for years. This is an act that he is going to have to live with for the rest of his life. Ultimately, from the perspective that many of you are viewing this from, no one wins, no matter the outcome. Treyvon doesn't get resurrected at the end of this or anything, and no one besides him, Zimmerman and God will ever know what happened that night. There will never fully be closure in this, or any other case like this one.

Archived