George Zimmerman acquitted of murder in Trayvon Martin shooting death

Orion VII 4 Life

And again with the race card. You guys really gotta stop playing that, it makes you look bad and you know it's not true.

Well, that's bullshit.

This entire case is about race. It was Martin's race that made George Zimmerman leave his car and follow him. It was race when Zimmerman complained about "these a**holes" and "these punks" who "always get away," knowing nothing about Martin except his appearance and skin color. It was race that let Zimmerman murder Martin and be treated as if he acted in self-defense. It was race that let him walk.

But I'll make it simpler for you: do you think if the case were the reverse and a black man had gotten out of his car and followed and murdered a young white boy who had committed no crime, do you think he would be free today? 

Laws aside, I think it's troubling that you can be minding your own business and someone can start a confrontation with you and then argue Stand Your Ground.  What is evident is that Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin because instead of staying put as the office recommended, Zimmerman decided to pursue Martin.  Had that not happened, maybe he would've never been on trial in the first place.

Correct. And tell me that if a black man had randomly jumped out of his car to follow a young white boy and then shot him, tell me this would be the same case. 

I'm proud of it because it gives me a sense of safety and security I am unable to have in many other countries.

If someone is physically threatening (and especially if they're attacking) someone or breaking into a home, they are asking to be met by Mr. Glock or his buddy Mr. Shotgun. To say that someone doing one of those things isn't asking for that to happen is ridiculous. I value life, but making a move you know can get you killed is asking for that to happen. It's like jumping onto the train tracks to get your phone when there's a train coming in.

You talk about lethal weapons like some sort of five or six year-old. "Mr. Glock"? "Mr. Shotgun"? "His buddy"? If you ever get shot by a random stranger who got out of his car to follow you, let me know if you still refer to weapons that way.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't read the posts yet, I will -after- making this statement:

The deal is this with me (speaking for myself only) as an advocate of the 2nd amendment to carry arms: If a man was to come into my house and threaten to rape my wife and children I will f**king kill him!!! The hell with 911. People you know my story about what I went through when someone threatened to rape my ex girlfriend and what I did. Please don't ask. Enough people knows already about what happened to me.

However the monkey in the wrench is that according to an article the prosecutors defense is this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/14/george-zimmerman-acquitted-murder-in-trayvon-martin-shooting-death/#ixzz2Z0ElWtcD

Prosecutors called Zimmerman a liar and portrayed him was a "wannabe cop" vigilante who had grown frustrated by break-ins in his neighborhood committed primarily by young black men. Zimmerman assumed Martin was up to no good and took the law into his own hands, prosecutors said.

To me it's apparent that this was a racist motivated revenge killing, of a freaking 17 year old. He is a neighborhood watchman volunteer, not the damn police. I will research this further but this post reflects my initial thoughts.

Personally glad to see the American way of self defense prevail yet again! ^_^

There are fireworks going off in the sky here in Manalapan, NJ (I just got home from the city, God knows what's going on up there but I hope no rioting), and I saw lots of them going off along the Turnpike as well. God Bless America!!!!

Do you know how to give proper commentary in a thread starter? Journalists and experienced bloggers try to report the news objectively. At least if you have the unpopular view say it in such a way so this thread does not have to be a flame from the very start, from post # 1. No wonder this thread was a shitfest from the start.

"But, but, I hope no rioting" your words ..... like what was that supposed to mean? Do tell....

Racism is not the way of America. Why would an impartial God support bigotry? 

Good Bless America with a smug? Again your words? WTF?

I'm proud of it because it gives me a sense of safety and security I am unable to have in many other countries.

If someone is physically threatening (and especially if they're attacking) someone or breaking into a home, they are asking to be met by Mr. Glock or his buddy Mr. Shotgun. To say that someone doing one of those things isn't asking for that to happen is ridiculous. I value life, but making a move you know can get you killed is asking for that to happen. It's like jumping onto the train tracks to get your phone when there's a train coming in.

What you seem to be overlooking was that Zimmerman followed Martin after he was told not to by the police and confronted Martin.  Let's not confuse things here.  It's one thing to defend yourself when you're minding your own business and another to confront someone and then argue self-defense.  If someone pursued you and you were minding your own business, you're telling me that you wouldn't act to protect yourself?

What you seem to be overlooking was that Zimmerman followed Martin after he was told not to by the police and confronted Martin.  Let's not confuse things here.  It's one thing to defend yourself when you're minding your own business and another to confront someone and then argue self-defense.  If someone pursued you and you were minding your own business, you're telling me that you wouldn't act to protect yourself?

I guess so. I guess that's what he's saying. Note how he is giving himself away with the hardcore debaters here, better he heeded my advice and made the thread starter objectively like we do. Oh well too late, we see him in his flying colors. So much for intelligent debate

Well, that's bullshit.

This entire case is about race. It was Martin's race that made George Zimmerman leave his car and follow him. It was race when Zimmerman complained about "these a**holes" and "these punks" who "always get away," knowing nothing about Martin except his appearance and skin color. It was race that let Zimmerman murder Martin and be treated as if he acted in self-defense. It was race that let him walk.

Indeed that was a racist micrograssive statement implying that he hates so called ******s stalking in his neighborhood, and that being apparent, the prosecuters were right in the defense of the plaintiff. It's unfortunate that as VG8 pointed out the stand your ground loophole saved Zimmermanns ass. These laws must be changed.

What you seem to be overlooking was that Zimmerman followed Martin after he was told not to by the police and confronted Martin.  Let's not confuse things here.  It's one thing to defend yourself when you're minding your own business and another to confront someone and then argue self-defense.  If someone pursued you and you were minding your own business, you're telling me that you wouldn't act to protect yourself?

You know how f**ked up this whole case is when Vittorio is the one talking absolute sense... ;)

The case and this debate is real interesting...

All joking aside (I know I shouldn't be, and that the above quote will be used against me), I do agree that it was quite unfair for Zimmerman to be freed, since he took another's life. Also, as I have observed from reading others' posts, it is quite sad to see that his motives were leaning towards racist ones (correct me if I'm wrong), kinda similar to that incident on the (7) train where a racist woman pushed a guy onto the tracks. As I have not listened to much of the news of the trial, forgive me if I have stated many wrong points, and feel free to correct me.

I'm not going to bitch, but I will say that some of these views seem wrongful, but those are the views of those people and I'm not going to try changing them.

Wooowwwwww idk what to say... shows how some of yall real personalities are...I lost respect for some of yall... unbelievable all this ranting going on... this world is going to have some major future problems... and the key word.-Racism. You can't hide it... it's still lingering in this country... seems like nothing is going to change it soon...

Just as you have every right to exercise your right to bear arms, you have every right not to, and if that's how you want to play it that's perfectly fine. And as long as no one's forcing their anti-gun agenda on the rest of the country trying to take away our Constitutional rights to bear arms, I got no problems.

But look at this: if one of your loved ones got shot, and died, because he/she got shot because he/she got into a heated debate with that person which turned into a fight and the person who shot him or her has a gun as self defense, and isn't convicted for anything, how would you feel...

Wooowwwwww idk what to say... shows how some of yall real personalities are...I lost respect for some of yall... unbelievable all this ranting going on... this world is going to have some major future problems... and the key word.-Racism. You can't hide it... it's still lingering in this country... seems like nothing is going to change it soon...

OK fine. 

I think you need to understand something with all due respect (and do not take this as a personal attack, but as my personal opinion): People of color like many posters here are victim to many facets of racism every day of our lives. Either direct racism, violations of their citizen rights due to skin color, denial of work because of their race, police brutality, and all the way down to violent crimes due to racial bias. Of course people will be wilded up over the ruling in Florida. It defys the very point of the Civil Rights Act and the US Constitution where it states plainly that all people are created equal.

Now as for the jerk reaction from many posters (who are also railfanners and busfanners on this site as myself)  see why the thread became a flamewar from post #1:

BREAKING NEWS: George Zimmerman has been acquitted of all charges in the February 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla.

The jury of six women informed Judge Debra Nelson shortly before 10 p.m. local time Saturday that they had reached a verdict after deliberating for approximately 15 hours over two days.

After hearing the verdict, Judge Nelson told Zimmerman he was free to go.

Zimmerman was initially charged with second-degree murder in the death of Martin, but jurors could have also convicted Zimmerman on the lesser charge of manslaughter. The jury had asked for a clarification on the manslaughter charge earlier in the evening. 

If convicted, the 29-year-old former neighborhood watch volunteer would have faced a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder or 30 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter.

The jurors sent Judge Debra Nelson a note asking for clarification on the manslaughter charge, the less-serious charge Zimmerman faces, after deliberating for about eight hours Saturday. The question read simply: "May we please have clarification for the instruction on manslaughter?"

As jurors awaited an answer, Nelson talked to lawyers at the bench and then said court would recess for a half hour. When attorneys returned, prosecutor Richard Mantei said that after conducting research, he would suggest asking the jurors to elaborate. Defense attorney Mark O'Mara agreed.

"Let's get clarification on their confusion," O'Mara said.

The judge then sent a note back to the jury that read: "The court can't engage in general discussion but may be able to address a specific question regarding clarification of the instructions regarding manslaughter. If you have a specific question, please submit it."

The jury also recessed for an hour for dinner, during which they were allowed to continue deliberating. They did not immediately respond to the judge's note.

During the day about two dozen people gathered outside the courthouse awaiting a verdict, with supporters of the Martin family outnumbering those there for Zimmerman. One man held a sign that read, "We love you George." A woman lay in the grass in a hoodie, her arms spread, in a re-creation of Martin's death.

On Twitter, Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, shared what she called her favorite Bible verse: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

During closing arguments, Zimmerman's attorney attempted to portray him as a neighborhood activist who shot Martin in self-defense and prosecutors attempted to paint him as a wannabe cop whose misguided suspicion resulted in the teen’s death.

As the jury began their discussions, police and civic leaders in this Orlando suburb went on national television to plead for calm in Sanford and across the country, no matter what the verdict.

"There is no party in this case who wants to see any violence," Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said. "We have an expectation upon this announcement that our community will continue to act peacefully."

There were big protests in Sanford and other cities across the country last year when authorities waited 44 days before arresting Zimmerman.

Zimmerman shot Martin as the two fought following a confrontation in the gated Sanford community where Zimmerman lives.

"Your verdict should not be influenced by feelings of prejudice, bias or sympathy," Judge Debra Nelson told the jury, reading from a 27-page set of instructions. "Your verdict must be based on the evidence, and on the law contained in these instructions."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2Yz2EnAGm

Personally glad to see the American way of self defense prevail yet again! ^_^

There are fireworks going off in the sky here in Manalapan, NJ (I just got home from the city, God knows what's going on up there but I hope no rioting), and I saw lots of them going off along the Turnpike as well. God Bless America!!!!

This is post #1. I'm absolutely shocked Orion said that XcelsiorBoii4888, and so are the majority here. I still can't believe he would make a racist comment like that, he might as well used the N word in the process. he is even raiding the status updates with the same wicked mentality. What is he implying? That perhaps we should start supporting the KKK and start lynching blacks? What a shame!

Truth is, when news like this is posted some of the ugliness of people you think you may know comes out in all truthfulness. 

The case and this debate is real interesting...

All joking aside (I know I shouldn't be, and that the above quote will be used against me), I do agree that it was quite unfair for Zimmerman to be freed, since he took another's life. Also, as I have observed from reading others' posts, it is quite sad to see that his motives were leaning towards racist ones (correct me if I'm wrong), kinda similar to that incident on the (7) train where a racist woman pushed a guy onto the tracks. As I have not listened to much of the news of the trial, forgive me if I have stated many wrong points, and feel free to correct me.

I'm not going to bitch, but I will say that some of these views seem wrongful, but those are the views of those people and I'm not going to try changing them.

I agree with your view, absolutely but it comes to a certain point that if someone say in the middle of the city comes out and calls me a black ch!nk then obviously I will do something about it. It's happened to me before, and more....

You make me f**king sick.

You can only imagine how I felt when I saw that thread starter last night! Proper commentary writing objectively is fine but comments such as that, disgusting.

Nevertheless, for the sake of keeping the peace of this forum the moderators seriously needs to lock this thread, it's out of control because of a post to serve as flamebait with use of racist commentary rather than simply giving a report in off topic.

So because of sad enough how this turned out in this discussion with that post which set this thread off worse then the newsbreak itself:  :Lock:

OK fine.

I think you need to understand something with all due respect (and do not take this as a personal attack, but as my personal opinion): People of color like many posters here are victim to many facets of racism every day of our lives. Either direct racism, violations of their citizen rights due to skin color, denial of work because of their race, police brutality, and all the way down to violent crimes due to racial bias. Of course people will be wilded up over the ruling in Florida. It defys the very point of the Civil Rights Act and the US Constitution where it states plainly that all people are created equal.

Now as for the jerk reaction from the older adult posters who are also railfanners and busfanners on this site see why the thread became a flamewar from post #1:

I'm absolutely shocked Orion said that XcelsiorBoii4888, and so are the majority here. I still can't believe he would make a racist comment like that, he might as well used the N word in the process. he is even raiding the status updates with the same wicked mentality. What is he implying? That perhaps we should start supporting the KKK and start lynching blacks? What a shame!

Truth is, when news like this is posted some of the ugliness of people you think you may know comes out in all truthfulness. 

I agree with your view, absolutely but it comes to a certain point that if someone say in the middle of the city comes out and calls me a black ch!nk then obviously I will do something about it. It's happened to me before, and more....

You can only imagine how I felt when I saw that thread starter last night! Proper commentary writing subjectively is fine but comments such as that, disgusting.

Nevertheless, for the sake of keeping the peace of this forum the moderators seriously needs to lock this thread, it's out of control because of a post to serve as flamebait.

Orion isn't thinking about anything but the Stand Your Ground Law and pro-gun stance of Florida.  Unfortunately he either doesn't care about or refuses to acknowledge how Zimmerman came to have to defend himself in the first place which is the real issue. I wouldn't have a problem with Zimmerman if he was minding his own business and then had to defend himself, but here he is the one that started the confrontation by following Martin when the cops told him that he didn't have to follow him.  

Now he (Orion) threw a fit when he was stopped at the airport because he was simply taking pictures and felt his rights were violated, as he was treated like a criminal.  Meanwhile this Martin kid was simply minding his business as well and was treated like a criminal and he dismisses how Zimmerman came to having to "Stand His Ground".  Based on Florida law, there is no question that Zimmerman had the right to defend himself if he felt he was harmed but seeing that he started the confrontation by following Martin I think it's a bit ridiculous that he then can turnaround and argue that he was in danger when he created the danger.

I think it's a shame that we are calling this racist... typical liberal BS. It's a matter of self defense and the fact that he was being attacked, done period the end and it doesn't matter what the kid's race was. I've been hearing some ridiculous shit about George like that he's in the KKK, yet there's not one piece of evidence that he's racist let alone in the KKK. Stop playing the race card already, that in itself is racist! He's part hispanic anyway, but all you hear from the lib media and "activists" is that he's the "white devil cracker".

Also, I would like to express whole heartedly that I am not racist in any way. I am a proud 2nd Amendment and self defense advocate, and I'm proud to be on George's side in this situation. I don't care what the kid's race, religion, or skin color was, I would feel the same way I do regardless.

Orion isn't thinking about anything but the Stand Your Ground Law and pro-gun stance of Florida.  Unfortunately he either doesn't care about or refuses to acknowledge how Zimmerman came to have to defend himself in the first place which is the real issue. I wouldn't have a problem with Zimmerman if he was minding his own business and then had to defend himself, but here he is the one that started the confrontation by following Martin when the cops told him that he didn't have to follow him.  

Now he (Orion) threw a fit when he was stopped at the airport because he was simply taking pictures and felt his rights were violated, as he was treated like a criminal.  Meanwhile this Martin kid was simply minding his business as well and was treated like a criminal and he dismisses how Zimmerman came to having to "Stand His Ground".  Based on Florida law, there is no question that Zimmerman had the right to defend himself if he felt he was harmed but seeing that he started the confrontation by following Martin I think it's a bit ridiculous that he then can turnaround and argue that he was in danger when he created the danger.

Yes many times in chat Orion the other posters and and I discussed the severe problems he had with the PAPD and I was with him on that one, you know that yourself. I sympathized with him because of the fact as you put it he was indeed treated as a criminal for something that was not a crime namely taking pics and being a transit enthusiast. I had similar problems with the NYPD due to racial profiling so I can definitely in a way understand his anger.

On the rest and his support of the ruling all I can say is to let Orion respond himself and speak his mind to clarify his statements.

If It is simply that vigilante attitude that he has in him, and not some resentment towards blacks then absolutely I would not be offended at him in that case because yes, we live in a corrupt system, and if that is the case then I cannot blame him. Then I will have to take that back because perhaps I misread his posts. I can be mature minded enough to do that if I did not see things correctly here. So let him respond and let's see what he says.

=

But with the incident itself, disregarding the flame going on here, it stands that with Zimmerman it was a racially motivated crime that he was unbelievably acquitted for. This is the original issue from the article itself and the argument of the prosecutors involved in this case.

And VG8, I will try to reason with him since he just posted:

Stop playing the race card already, that in itself is racist! He's part hispanic anyway, but all you hear from the lib media and "activists" is that he's the "white devil cracker".

Also, I would like to express whole heartedly that I am not racist in any way. I am a proud 2nd Amendment and self defense advocate, and I'm proud to be on George's side in this situation. I don't care what the kid's race, religion, or skin color was, I would feel the same way I do regardless.

Excuse me? Race card? That's what many say when people voice out over injustices due to mishaps in court, particularly when it comes to race. Didn't you read the prosecutor's arguement? They are also saying this is obviously a racially motivated crime, the federal prosecutors themselves!!!!!!

What is your view on the NYPD stop and frisk issue then? The same?

Orion isn't thinking about anything but the Stand Your Ground Law and pro-gun stance of Florida.

I am in support of the 2nd amendment as I stated before, but this is a different issue now.

But look at this: if one of your loved ones got shot, and died, because he/she got shot because he/she got into a heated debate with that person which turned into a fight and the person who shot him or her has a gun as self defense, and isn't convicted for anything, how would you feel...

And this which i did not see until now. That is another excellent point. How would a person feel? I think we know the answer.

I think it's a shame that we are calling this racist... typical liberal BS. It's a matter of self defense and the fact that he was being attacked, done period the end and it doesn't matter what the kid's race was. I've been hearing some ridiculous shit about George like that he's in the KKK, yet there's not one piece of evidence that he's racist let alone in the KKK. Stop playing the race card already, that in itself is racist! He's part hispanic anyway, but all you hear from the lib media and "activists" is that he's the "white devil cracker".

You still never answered my question though.  If someone started a confrontation with you when you were minding your own business, you turned around and attacked them and they shot and killed you and argued self-defense, would you agree with that? 

Excuse me? Race card? That's what many say when people voice out over injustices due to mishaps in court, particularly when it comes to race. Didn't you read the prosecutor's arguement? They are also saying this is obviously a racially motivated crime, the federal prosecutors themselves!!!!!!

The prosecutor's argument is irrelevant, since he is saying whatever possible to throw George behind bars.

I do not support NYPD stop and frisk at all.

Yes many times in chat Orion the other posters and and I discussed the severe problems he had with the PAPD and I was with him on that one, you know that yourself. I sympathized with him because of the fact as you put it he was indeed treated as a criminal for something that was not a crime namely taking pics and being a transit enthusiast. I had similar problems with the NYPD due to racial profiling so I can definitely in a way understand his anger.

On the rest and his support of the ruling all I can say is to let Orion respond himself and speak his mind to clarify his statements.

If It is simply that vigilante attitude that he has in him, and not some resentment towards blacks then absolutely I would not be offended at him in that case because yes, we live in a corrupt system, and if that is the case then I cannot blame him. Then I will have to take that back because perhaps I misread his posts. I can be mature minded enough to do that if I did not see things correctly here. So let him respond and let's see what he says.

=

But with the incident itself, disregarding the flame going on here, it stands that with Zimmerman it was a racially motivated crime that he was unbelievably acquitted for. This is the original issue from the article itself and the argument of the prosecutors involved in this case.

And VG8, I will try to reason with him since he just posted:

I am in support of the 2nd amendment as I stated before, but this is a different issue now.

And this which i did not see until now. That is another excellent point. How would a person feel? I think we know the answer.

I also agree.  Race does NOT need to be injected into this because it really isn't important here.  What's important here is if someone is minding their own business and another person comes along and starts a conflict with them that person that is being confronted then decides to attack that person is the person being attacked allowed to claim self-defense? 

To me it's like seeing a bear. The bear isn't bothering you but you decide to confront it for whatever reason and then the bear becomes violent against you, you shoot it saying that it was attacking you. Well of course the bear was attacking you!  You confronted it when it wasn't bothering you. 

You still never answered my question though.  If someone started a confrontation with you when you were minding your own business, you turned around and attacked them and then shot and killed you and argued self-defense, would you agree with that? 

That's why I am bringing my argument from the racism perspective in support of the federal prosecutors in this case, that would be a definite motivation behind the crime. Hey we got some sick  and demented people full of hate in this country. 

The prosecutor's argument is irrelevant, since he is saying whatever possible to throw George behind bars.

So then what is your take on a vigilante like George Zimmerman following someone who was not bothering him and confronting them?  

That's good enough for me. That means you are not in support of racial profiling either then. I'll drop it.

Now generally speaking,

There are two opposing arguements here that can't be ruled out.

1) The prosecutors called Zimmerman "a liar... a wannabe cop" vigilante who had grown hot with anger by break-ins in his neighborhood committed primarily by young black men. He obviously took matters into his own hands. Yes a citizen can get fed up and take matters into his own hands (Bernie Goetz? # (2) Train , anyone? ) but what I am saying is that the racism argument cannot be ruled out.

2) However, on the flip side of the coin,  the prosecutors may very well be trying to throw Zimmerman behind bars in an attempt to save the police force's credibility, as apparently they failed to protect their citizens and so called vigilante had to carry this murder out on his own accord. That is also a very strong possibility, we cannot deny that either. When things like this happen the police takes this seriously to save face.

So which is it? That's what we may have to discuss at this point.

So then what is your take on a vigilante like George Zimmerman following someone who was not bothering him and confronting them?

The dude was in a private HOA community, George felt he was suspicious and proceeded to follow him. Remember that this is private property, and George couldn't know if the person was supposed to be there or not. He didn't approach him and start an illegal patdown/bag search without consent as the NYPD does.

The dude was in a private HOA community, George felt he was suspicious and proceeded to follow him. Remember that this is private property, and George couldn't know if the person was supposed to be there or not. He didn't approach him and start an illegal patdown/bag search without consent as the NYPD does.

Right and that's the real issue I have... You see I would argue that both of them could argue Stand Your Ground based on how the law is written.  I mean Martin had no idea who Zimmerman was or what he was doing, so he could've argued that he felt his life was in danger and so he attacked him.  Once Zimmerman was attacked, well then he could turn around and argue the same thing. I think the law is flawed for the simple fact that anyone can argue that they felt their life was in danger.  There seems to have been several cases with SYG was used. There needs to be exceptions to the rule because it's easy for someone to say my life was in danger but the question is WHY?

If someone is stalking another individual or confronting someone who is minding their own business and then gets to turn around and use SYG as a means to justify them killing them then we're opening up a whole can of worms here because essentially I can walk around and harass people for any reason, they can attack me arguing Stand Your Ground and then it's just a matter of who comes out on top.  Really scary when you think about it. Now I certainly think that people should have EVERY right to defend themselves, BUT people also should expect some sort of right in terms of not being harassed. 

So there is no question that Zimmerman should've walked based on how the law is written.  I just wonder how many people will be able to use those loophole going forward...

You know I accepted the verdict for what it was in the end, but even I can't deny the fact that I don't like how someone can start a confrontation with another, a fight breaks out between them and the person shoots and kills the other, then claims self-defense despite starting the confrontation in the first place. Orion, I didn't personally respond to your comment you made at the beginning of this thread like everyone else has, but I will say this. That comment you made will come back to haunt you. Matter of fact it already has with most of the posts made so far. Good luck, cause your going to need it, especially with the way some have already responded around here.

Archived