Coat Got Pulled Bug In Ear R160's on the Fox this week?

RTOMan

Keep in mind, the R160A-1 order is almost complete. We still have the A-2 Order of 5-car sets I believe from alstom to arrive soon. And with the quick assignments of the R160s to lines slated to be later this year, we might have some random drawings.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8918 was spotted in stillwell yard layed up for (F) service next to two R46 (F) trains also on layover.

Isn't 8918 an R160B?

I thought the R160A would move to the (F)

8916, 8917 are cars that has been around. There is a picture of the 8916, 8917. Unclear if the car behind it was 8918 or not.

So assuming this is the starter train for the (F) line, it remains to be seen if more R160's make its way, and it looks like so far it will be R160B's till futher notice.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?85711

Isn't 8918 an R160B?

I thought the R160A would move to the (F)

8916, 8917 are cars that has been around. There is a picture of the 8916, 8917. Unclear if the car behind it was 8918 or not.

So assuming this is the starter train for the (F) line, it remains to be seen if more R160's make its way, and it looks like so far it will be R160B's till futher notice.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?85711

Yes 8918 is an R160B, that one 10 car R160A set was on the (N) line today.

I definitely want to see Queens Boulevard get R160s but I know that it's probably not going to happen. IMO the yard should be expanded (if that's even possible...I've never been there) to be able to take care of the extra cars they can't already take care of. Not only are (E) riders going to be pissed off about those R160 (F)s...they'll use their BS defense that the (MTA) is racist and they gave the (F) R160s because it serves Jamaica Estates but not the (E) because it serves poorer neighborhoods.

I definitely want to see Queens Boulevard get R160s but I know that it's probably not going to happen. IMO the yard should be expanded (if that's even possible...I've never been there) to be able to take care of the extra cars they can't already take care of. Not only are (E) riders going to be pissed off about those R160 (F)s...they'll use their BS defense that the (MTA) is racist and they gave the (F) R160s because it serves Jamaica Estates but not the (E) because it serves poorer neighborhoods.

Completely bogus. (E) feeds into the main Jamaica station for the LIRR + Airtrain.

Both lines need new cars and both lines will get new cars as soon as there is enough to go around.

(E) and (F) could very well be R160. Those R42's on the (E) I doubt will stay very long at any rate which is why I didn't understand why they moved it to the (E) to begin with. It could have been due to the R32 and busted A/C so they moved some R42 for the summer. Fast forward to Summer 2009, we could have R160 and R46 on the (E) + (F)

I think we need to wait for 2009 to see what cars are on the (E) and (F) and to see what happens to those R42.

The Pitkin R32s transferred to the (E) is one cause of the busted A/Cs in trains. Those R32s were crap from the start, while jamaica R32s kept you in a deepfreeze. The R42s were to go to jamaica for THOSE R32s I believe.

btw, the 5 car set for 8918 is 8918-8922

The Pitkin R32s transferred to the (E) is one cause of the busted A/Cs in trains. Those R32s were crap from the start, while jamaica R32s kept you in a deepfreeze. The R42s were to go to jamaica for THOSE R32s I believe.

btw, the 5 car set for 8918 is 8918-8922

The A/C on some of the (E) R32's did suck, but other cars were FROZEN!

- Andy

Those 2 companies are getting so much business from (NJT) and (NYCT) its crazy.
NJT is getting nothing from both Kawasaki or Alstom so I dunno where you come out mentioning NJT around here.....

NJT has been doing business with Bombardier for the railroad side.

like, "OH MY GOD... LIKE, THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO RACIST.... OH MY GOD..."

Its not about location and what the terminus is on some lines, its more of where the R160s are going to be needed at this point, and MTA doing something that requires the (F) to run R160s.

And to all, as you can see, all the lines assigned to Coney Island except the (:P are running R160s.....now that those are almost done, next is the (F).

NJT is getting nothing from both Kawasaki or Alstom so I dunno where you come out mentioning NJT around here.....

NJT has been doing business with Bombardier for the railroad side.

Bomb & alstom. :D

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PressReleaseTo&PRESS_RELEASE_ID=483

Also don't forget the pl42ac! :P

- Andy

One rule in Transit is don't believe it till you see it on the road. I don't believe anything till I see it or if I am scheduled there and I work on it. Personally the (F) line doesn't deserve them yet the (A) should be getting new trains or the damn (C).

Bomb & alstom. :D

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PressReleaseTo&PRESS_RELEASE_ID=483

Also don't forget the pl42ac! :P

- Andy

Thats old news!

dun forget, PATH's PA5 are being built by Kawasaki
PATH is not New Jersey Transit, PATH is under the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

dun forget, PATH's PA5 are being built by Kawasaki

That's not (NJT), however they might buy cars from them for the light rail expansion they have planned up the palisades. Kawasaki bid on the comet 4 cars i believe. I guess we'll see what (NJT) does with them next time they need something.

To be more on topic... I think the 160's need to be peppered about instead of dominating line after line replacing older cars that many people are fond of, give us a chance to slowly get used to it, you know? It will be SO weird seeing them at roosevelt island...

- Andy

One rule in Transit is don't believe it till you see it on the road. I don't believe anything till I see it or if I am scheduled there and I work on it. Personally the (F) line doesn't deserve them yet the (A) should be getting new trains or the damn (C).

dats true... the (A)(C)(E) has the oldest cars running on them

but it depends on da yards

That's not (NJT), however they might buy cars from them for the light rail expansion they have planned up the palisades. Kawasaki bid on the comet 4 cars i believe. I guess we'll see what (NJT) does with them next time they need something.

To be more on topic... I think the 160's need to be peppered about instead of dominating line after line replacing older cars that many people are fond of, give us a chance to slowly get used to it, you know? It will be SO weird seeing them at roosevelt island...

- Andy

no, i was pointing out the fact dat kawasaki is being loaded with orders coming from the ny metro region, nd elsewhere

- Andy

Thats if Kawasaki can build the trains to what NJT has them spec'd to. I think Kawasaki placed a bid on the Multi Level order but they weren't getting the contract because they wouldn't have been able to build them to NJT specs.

Thats if Kawasaki can build the trains to what NJT has them spec'd to. I think Kawasaki placed a bid on the Multi Level order but they were getting the contract because they wouldn't have been able to build them to NJT specs.

Yea, i'm pretty sure that was it. They have really customized low profile multi levels, very unique in the usa at least. I am not shocked by them going with another manufacturer, especially one that has a proven multilevel track record all over the world.

When (MTA) is ready, i believe they will also be getting similar low profile multilevels for the LIRR and/or MNRR. Once THE tunnel and ESA are completed with MNRR having access to penn station it might not be a bad idea....

I also think that on the (F) and (E) the 160's will look really out of place for a long time. The whole transit system is just very worn looking in a lot of spots, and i just hope (MTA) can help find a blend of old & new for their next order so they don't look so odd in places like chambers st wtc and penn station.

Even if the (F) goes 100% R160 by the start of 2009 instead of sooner it will be very strange for me seeing those cars along those stations. They are too sterile for the (F), (V), (E), (A), and (C) in my opinion as far as "feeling right". Hopefully the vestiges of the current fleet's older cars will run on the (A)(C)(E) till they too are taken over.

- Andy

dats true... the (A)(C)(E) has the oldest cars running on them

but it depends on da yards

Both the (E) and (F) run out of Jamaica. So yard placement doesn't really matter there.

I also think that on the (F) and (E) the 160's will look really out of place for a long time. The whole transit system is just very worn looking in a lot of spots, and i just hope (MTA) can help find a blend of old & new for their next order so they don't look so odd in places like chambers st wtc and penn station.

E.g. Chambers St. (J)(M)(Z) vs R160

Even if the (F) goes 100% R160 by the start of 2009 instead of sooner it will be very strange for me seeing those cars along those stations. They are too sterile for the (F), (V), (E), (A), and (C) in my opinion as far as "feeling right". Hopefully the vestiges of the current fleet's older cars will run on the (A)(C)(E) till they too are taken over.

- Andy

Yeah, me too, but I'm of the opinion that the (A)(C) and (E) are more deserving of them right now than the (F). I say run the R32s to the finish line and then DIRECTLY replace them with R160s.

Yea, i'm pretty sure that was it. They have really customized low profile multi levels, very unique in the usa at least. I am not shocked by them going with another manufacturer, especially one that has a proven multilevel track record all over the world.

When (MTA) is ready, i believe they will also be getting similar low profile multilevels for the LIRR and/or MNRR. Once THE tunnel and ESA are completed with MNRR having access to penn station it might not be a bad idea....

- Andy

The plan is the (E) to not see R160s, but it doesn't stratches the possibilty of it happening. Pending how many Jamaica end up with, because R160s are only going to be there to fill the (F) and thats it.

Archived