Should there be more skip stop service on other lines?

Kexpress

I think they should bring back the (9), but make it a "south ferry express" below penn station 34th st, and skip stop above times sq 42st.

I think they should allow crush loaded trains run skip stop like busses, especially on the (4). Would help spread out passenger load on the lex till the SAS is done.

Re-instate the (JFK) have it run from times square and run skip stop with the (A) to its connection to the JFK airtrain?

- Andy

I think there sshould be skip stop on the (L) line and even on the (G) line. There should also be skip stop service on other transit system also on trains even on the light rail.

It really depends on traffic load and "demand shape". Also not every line has the capacity for skip stop service. Express vs skip stop makes more sense in a lot of situations.

- Andy

It really depends on traffic load and "demand shape". Also not every line has the capacity for skip stop service. Express vs skip stop makes more sense in a lot of situations.

- Andy

he's right becuase the (L) needs skip-stop but (1. they already do not have enough trains to supply the (L) (2. the trains operate too close and it would even messed things up)

Like metsfan said (9) train should be brought back.

*the (4) should have <4> express

*the (W) or (N) should be the Astoria express (peak)

*On sundays or weekends during summer they should bring back a <Q> or coney island summer beach express on the brighton

I Heard the MTA had plans to have Canarsie skip stop service on the (L) line and with another route that would skip stop with (L) and that another route was the Y but in either case, it never ran. Then (K) was chosen to skip stop with (L),but no one know if is going to ever run. I bet the MTA might change the plan about the Canarsie skip stop service and might chose another route like ethier (H),P,U,X,or Y since it unused and not planned and one of these routes might be a plan to skip stop with (L). I wonder if the (L) will have a skip stop service in the future.

The (G) needs a skip stop on the line and with another route that can skip stop with (G). One of these routes could skip stop with (G) like ethier (H),(K),P,U,X,or Y since there are not used and not planned and one of these routes can skip stop with (G). I wonder if in the future MTA ever add skip stop service on the (G).

I think they should bring back the (9), but make it a "south ferry express" below penn station 34th st, and skip stop above times sq 42st.

I think they should allow crush loaded trains run skip stop like busses, especially on the (4). Would help spread out passenger load on the lex till the SAS is done.

- Andy

I think the (9) could possibly be a good idea, and sometimes when trains are crush loaded they do skip stops. I've seen it, as well as been on them several times.

I don't think more lines need skip-stop. Skip-stop is basically an alternatvie to an express on a two-track line. It wouldn't save much time on the (L) since the line is only about 40 minutes long anyway, and CBTC will provide better service.

I also know there is skip stop on other transit system. I think more other Transit system needs skip stop service also on the line.

How about other Transit System that need skip stop service?

Re-instate the (JFK) have it run from times square and run skip stop with the (A) to its connection to the JFK airtrain?

- Andy

The day they run skip stop on the (4) all hell will break loose. That line gets backed up as is so that would make matters worse. They need the <4> in the Bronx express between 125 and Burnside, locals turn at Burnside.

The (1) is another line that gets easily FUBAR'd. waited 10 mins for a N/B during rush hours at 72st. it comes and only stops at 96,137,168,191,215,231 and 242. I don't get why they got rid of the (9), things ran smoothly back then.

The day they run skip stop on the (4) all hell will break loose. That line gets backed up as is so that would make matters worse. They need the <4> in the Bronx express between 125 and Burnside, locals turn at Burnside.

The (1) is another line that gets easily FUBAR'd. waited 10 mins for a N/B during rush hours at 72st. it comes and only stops at 96,137,168,191,215,231 and 242. I don't get why they got rid of the (9), things ran smoothly back then.

I think <4> express train can run express between 125 Street and Woodlawn in the broxn.

For some reason the MTA got rid of the (9) service because there is no reduction in subway service along this line so that why there is no (9) service. But I think the MTA should add (1) express and the shape should be Diamond and so (1) express can run express between 96 Street and 157 Street & also run express between Dyckman Street and Van Cortlandt Park-242 Street peak direction only (To Manhattan AM) and (To Broxn PM) and the (1) express can run only on weekdays.

I think <4> express train can run express between 125 Street and Woodlawn in the broxn.

For some reason the MTA got rid of the (9) service because there is no reduction in subway service along this line so that why there is no (9) service. But I think the MTA should add (1) express and the shape should be Diamond and so (1) express can run express between 96 Street and 157 Street & also run express between Dyckman Street and Van Cortlandt Park-242 Street peak direction only (To Manhattan AM) and (To Broxn PM) and the (1) express can run only on weekdays.

Making the <4> only stop at Woodlawn, Burnside 149 and 125 would cause massive backtracking. You can get away with skipping 161-176 but skipping Fordham, Kingsbridge, BPB and Mosholu would be a huge problem.

Same goes for the (1), you can't have it run express between Dyckman and 242 because with the exception of 215 and 238 those stations are heavily used at all times (215 and 238 tend to be empty after midnight).

The only skip stop service I would see now being implemented is the (4) in the Bronx. Like I've said in several threads in the past, skip all stop from 149th to Burnside, then every stop from there to Woodlawn. Making the express 149th, Burnside, and then Woodlawn would make absolutely no sense.

So after all that has been said..... my thoughts are this...

(JFK) 24/7 airport express running with the (A) every other train or every 3rd train as close behind as can be allowed between times square and AirTrain station stop. (E) could have one every 4-5 trains with skip stop service where possible to save a little time.

(9) express to south ferry from penn station (with possible stops at wtc PATH when that is completed), skip stop north of times square with the (1). Could change to stop at chambers street if possible on weekends and late nights if needed.

<4> that runs skip stop at night, does not run weekends, and express during peak hours weekdays. Does not have to run during mid-day except on days that need the extra runs such as new years' eve and thanksgiving day etc.

- Andy

I think the (9) could possibly be a good idea, and sometimes when trains are crush loaded they do skip stops. I've seen it, as well as been on them several times.
I've been on 7 (G) trains that skipped some stops just because it was a few minutes late, not even packed or Rush Hour, makes me think if the (G) should really have it.

skip stop is confusing, you don't know which train stops at and which train skips your stop

and nobody's gonna carry a subway map around with them like a tourist either

Thats why you make a different route bullet (7) vs <7>. Also everyone knew the (9) was skip stop with the (1). Worst case scenario you mind blank about which one you need & have to wait & go back on a local etc.

You know... one time they got the track listing for a (NJT) express wrong on the board and i being in a sinus cold sleep deprived coma, totally not paying attention accidently got on a amtrak train heading to philly. Took an hour to get back from 30th street to trenton, but hey i got back! Only an hour late! :P

- Andy

You know... one time they got the track listing for a (NJT) express wrong on the board and i being in a sinus cold sleep deprived coma, totally not paying attention accidently got on a amtrak train heading to philly. Took an hour to get back from 30th street to trenton, but hey i got back! Only an hour late! :P
So wait, wrong track listing for an NJT train, you end up on Amtrak, how much did they charge you then?!?

skip stop is confusing, you don't know which train stops at and which train skips your stop

and nobody's gonna carry a subway map around with them like a tourist either

I would carry a New York City Subway map to look where the train route does. I already have a New York City Subway.

I also know there is skip stop on other transit system. I think more other Transit system needs skip stop service also on the line.

How about other Transit System that need skip stop service?

wrong.

Market Street El in philly operates a Skip Stop Service

(Photo a few posts above....)

Amen.

idk abt express service in bx on 4 but...

skip stop on 4...

Woodlawn, Bedford Park Blvd, Fordham Rd, Burnside Avenue, 170th Street, Yankee...

bitchcakes.

i think that the mta should implement CBTC on those two lines. skip stop service can be a bit hell raising. and having exp service on the 4 can be a pain in the ass, since the only intermediate stop between GC and woodlawn is burnside.

• 2 weeks later...

There was skip stop service before in Chiago. Chicago's CTA elevated system used skip-stop service from the 1940s until the early 1990s, at which point all-stop service patterns replaced skip-stop service. This was done to reduce waiting times for passengers riding to or from "A" and "B" stations who could only take half of the trains. It also eliminated the need for a train transfer for passengers riding from an "A" station to a "B" station which required a transfer at an "AB" (all trains stop) station to complete their trip. Further, the system was simpler to use for new riders and visitors.

Archived