suffolk county bus map

Mtatransit

Wow, SCT should really work on that.

Same thing with Bee-Line and north. In the age of Google Transit we've been accustomed to a level of detail beyond the streets and times on which a bus runs, one that we never really cared for a few years ago.

Even NICE has some un-signed stops. But at least you know approximately where they exist because they're on the map.

This is one of the sticking points when I plan SCT trips. Sometimes the stops are visible in Google Street View (Riverhead LIRR) but sometimes they're not. (Port Jeff LIRR, Greenport LIRR) I feel like when I actually go out into the field I'm going to be spending an inordinate amount of time trying to find an unsigned/unmarked stop.

Suffolk Transit buses aren't suppose to stop at unsigned or places that aren't stops. (The exception I believe is for the S92 out east though even that exception has an exception.) 

It's not Suffolk Transit if you can not locate a bus stop on Google Street View. If you have no idea where the stop you want is, then you should ask the bus driver, who should know where all the stops are, like SCT advised on their schedules at one point.

Wow, SCT should really work on that.

If you are paying attention you can spot a SCT bus sign, it is not SCT's responsibility nor concern if you can locate a bus stop using Google Street view. People who relay on that to locate a bus stop are crazy especially when at times the map could be a few years old and could show a bus stop at a location where one doesn't exist anymore. 

Suffolk Transit buses aren't suppose to stop at unsigned or places that aren't stops. (The exception I believe is for the S92 out east though even that exception has an exception.) 

It's not Suffolk Transit if you can not locate a bus stop on Google Street View. If you have no idea where the stop you want is, then you should ask the bus driver, who should know where all the stops are, like SCT advised on their schedules at one point.

If you are paying attention you can spot a SCT bus sign, it is not SCT's responsibility nor concern if you can locate a bus stop using Google Street view. People who relay on that to locate a bus stop are crazy especially when at times the map could be a few years old and could show a bus stop at a location where one doesn't exist anymore. 

Maybe another reason, maybe existed bus stop might be missing because maybe some bad car/truck drivers knocked out bus stop sign.

Maybe another reason, maybe existed bus stop might be missing because maybe some bad car/truck drivers knocked out bus stop sign.

Or the driver had an medical emergency, which is what was the cause of a local bus stop being knocked down a few months ago. A driver of a pickup truck had a heart attack and accidentally took out the bus stop sign as well as a light pole. 

@mac56: I wasn't talking about Google Street View, I was talking about the visibility in real-life. LMAO Street View and Google Transit are a joke for transit usage.

Most if not all Suffolk Transit bus stop signs I've seen are visible. Though since I've ridden SCT since I was basically a baby, heck one could say before I was even born, I know what to look far and where they most likely would be. 

SCT buses with the exception of certain villages like Huntington, Babylon, Patchogue,etc. still pickup & drop-off at any safe location,esp. in the eastern part of Suffolk, where marked stops are few & unreasonably far between.

Google maps was recently updated to about last year or early this year. Most likely the sign is shown because it is probably still up. State records have CBS Lines being merged out January 31st of this year. 

SCT buses with the exception of certain villages like Huntington, Babylon, Patchogue,etc. still pickup & drop-off at any safe location,esp. in the eastern part of Suffolk, where marked stops are few & unreasonably far between.

That exception is for the twin forks only because of the reason that you said, else where in Suffolk SCT drivers are only allowed to stop at bus stops. I know this for a fact because I had a driver get annoyed at me when I flagged him down in a spot that I thought was safe, and a family member who flagged a bus down in the same spot I had was told by a driver that they weren't suppose to stop there because it wasn't a bus stop. Not to mention that I've ridden countless buses where a driver by passed someone trying to flag them down, and the driver said that they couldn't stop for them because they weren't at a bus stop.  I even remember once a rider wanted to get off at a safe location and closer to where they were going and the driver said that they could only let the person off at a bus stop, and the nearest bus stop was across a busy highway.

Google maps was recently updated to about last year or early this year. Most likely the sign is shown because it is probably still up. State records have CBS Lines being merged out January 31st of this year. 

That exception is for the twin forks only because of the reason that you said, else where in Suffolk SCT drivers are only allowed to stop at bus stops. I know this for a fact because I had a driver get annoyed at me when I flagged him down in a spot that I thought was safe, and a family member who flagged a bus down in the same spot I had was told by a driver that they weren't suppose to stop there because it wasn't a bus stop. Not to mention that I've ridden countless buses where a driver by passed someone trying to flag them down, and the driver said that they couldn't stop for them because they weren't at a bus stop.  I even remember once a rider wanted to get off at a safe location and closer to where they were going and the driver said that they could only let the person off at a bus stop, and the nearest bus stop was across a busy highway.

Not true.

Google Maps aren't up to date, I know this because Suffolk Transportation Service recently expanded their Coram Depot because of Atlantic Express pulling out of at least three local School Bus Contracts, which have been reassigned to STS, yet Google Maps doesn't show such an expansion. Also they remodeled the offices of the Coram Depot and that neither is shown. 

Not true.

So your telling me, that my own experiences, stuff that happened to me and happened while I was on board a bus, is wrong.  

I know out east the rules for drivers are different, that they are allowed to stop at non bus stops, but for all the other routes the rules are indeed different.  As proof, SCT has a rule that no buses can stop on Rt 347 West of Nichols Road heading to Smith Haven Mall. This is proven as there is not one bus stop west of Nichol's, and I even doubled checked with a driver I know who said that that rule is still in effect.  

Google Maps aren't up to date, I know this because Suffolk Transportation Service recently expanded their Coram Depot because of Atlantic Express pulling out of at least three local School Bus Contracts, which have been reassigned to STS, yet Google Maps doesn't show such an expansion. Also they remodeled the offices of the Coram Depot and that neither is shown. 

So your telling me, that my own experiences, stuff that happened to me and happened while I was on board a bus, is wrong.  

I know out east the rules for drivers are different, that they are allowed to stop at non bus stops, but for all the other routes the rules are indeed different.  As proof, SCT has a rule that no buses can stop on Rt 347 West of Nichols Road heading to Smith Haven Mall. This is proven as there is not one bus stop west of Nichol's, and I even doubled checked with a driver I know who said that that rule is still in effect.  

Just today, I happen to be behind an S41 bus coming from Bayshore heading to Northport. I followed him from the LIE service Rd all the way up to Jericho Tpk in Commack, as he picked up and/or dropped-off passengers all along the route at unmarked bus stops. I have also observed this on the S23 bus from Walt Whitman Mall heading for Babylon, along Wolf Hill & Carman Rd in Melville, at unmarked stops.

You have to realize that a lot of SCT's drivers are new & not that experienced in transit operation, & are either mislead or are making up their own rules. Also,the system is run by different companies that may be instituting different policies regarding bus stops. After all,how do you expect to attract people to ride a bus in car-dependant Suffolk County if you make accessibility so inconvenient & restrictive with such long unreasonable gaps between bus stops?

Just today, I happen to be behind an S41 bus coming from Bayshore heading to Northport. I followed him from the LIE service Rd all the way up to Jericho Tpk in Commack, as he picked up and/or dropped-off passengers all along the route at unmarked bus stops. I have also observed this on the S23 bus from Walt Whitman Mall heading for Babylon, along Wolf Hill & Carman Rd in Melville, at unmarked stops.

You have to realize that a lot of SCT's drivers are new & not that experienced in transit operation, & are either mislead or are making up their own rules. Also,the system is run by different companies that may be instituting different policies regarding bus stops. After all,how do you expect to attract people to ride a bus in car-dependant Suffolk County if you make accessibility so inconvenient & restrictive with such long unreasonable gaps between bus stops?

The S41 is run by Suffolk Bus Corp, which is one of the professional companies and are very strict about their drivers following the rules. (and the driver who told me that he couldn't pick me where I had flagged him down worked for this company.) I mean they fired drivers for rules violations before. When Suffolk Bus Corp took over CBS Lines routes they hired new drivers from CBS, Inter-County and a few ex MTA LIB drivers.  Just because the driver stopped at a place where a stop was doesn't exactly mean that it isn't a stop, maybe the sign was knocked down and was never replaced. Or maybe the driver had enough seniority with the company that they felt that they would be able to get away with breaking the rules. 

As for EBT, I heard once that some of their drivers do School bus runs as well, though I know very little about that company to say anything about their drivers or where they came from.

I just know what the rules are from what I've heard or been told, if a driver wants to break them then fine, but don't just assume that because you see a driver doing something that it isn't against the rules. 

However that no stopping on 347 west of Nichol's Road rule, I know for a fact is 100% correct, because when I was younger everytime I took the S62 to Smith Haven Mall, not once did anybody ring the bell, and not once was there anyone on the side of the road waiting for the bus. In fact every driver normally staied in the left hand lanes, none had ever driven in the right hand lanes closest to the side walk. 

I didn't know even SCT drivers have new drivers like NICE Bus.

@mtatrain, if you stopped by at Smith Haven Mall's customer service, they have Suffolk County Bus Map.

The drivers work for the companies that SCT contracts with. (IE Suffolk Bus Corp, EBT Inc, Sunrise Coach, and Hampton Jitney.) 

Suffolk Bus Corp has hired drivers in the past year, especially when they received CBS Lines old routes, that have come from CBS Lines, Inter-County Motor Coach, and some that have worked for Long Island Bus. They also have a promotional type thing where Para Transit Drivers, they are the sole contract holder on Para Transit, can become a fixed route driver. But Suffolk Bus Corp is very strict on the rules, over the last few years they have fired many drivers for breaking the rules. 

I don't know about EBT Inc, I know that some drivers have runs that have them also doing school bus routes. 

When I took S56 first time yesterday, there was no marked bus stop at St. Catherine of Siena Hospital. I was wondering where does passenger get off and get on bus?

I wondered that to, when I went to the hospital 13 years ago for surgery I never saw a bus sign. It could be that the county made it a stop but never got around to putting up a sign. It which wouldn't surprise me if the county didn't put up a sign, since there are three bus signs in my area, one that was put up like two years ago, for a bus route that no longer travels that way. (Whether the bus company told the drivers not to travel that way or the county doesn't want them to go that way and never got around to taking up the signs and changing the bus maps is beyond me.)  Though a different bus route stops at the sign that was put up a few years ago so that sign isn't a complete waste. 

There used to be a bus stop sign at St.Catherine's but I guess it must've been taken down.

It's a possibility, especially if they have had any construction there recently.  

When I was there I didn't notice any sign, but to be fair it was my first and only time there, and I didn't know exactly where the bus could have stopped there. It was also possible that St.Catherine could have just been added to the S56 at the time and could explain why I never saw a sign. 

It's a possibility, especially if they have had any construction there recently.  

When I was there I didn't notice any sign, but to be fair it was my first and only time there, and I didn't know exactly where the bus could have stopped there. It was also possible that St.Catherine could have just been added to the S56 at the time and could explain why I never saw a sign. 

It's just another example of a location with no sign,but the bus stops there anyway. As far as the S41 goes, the unmarked stops were not as a result of signs knocked down & not replaced. I've been familiar with that route since it was extended to Northport a number of years ago, & there was never signage there. I can understand why there might be no stops allowed along that stretch of 347 due to a safety factor, as a bus merging back into high-speed traffic can be difficult & unsafe. There are other similar examples of that,such as along Rt. 107 bet. SUNY Old Westbury & Northern Blvd in Brookville on NICE's N20, where there are no shoulders for the bus to pull over on(as if anyone from there would ride a bus anyway-lol).

It's just another example of a location with no sign,but the bus stops there anyway. As far as the S41 goes, the unmarked stops were not as a result of signs knocked down & not replaced. I've been familiar with that route since it was extended to Northport a number of years ago, & there was never signage there. 

Sorry, I didn't know that you were familiar with the S41, so it could be the case that the drivers were told that those places were official stops, but the county never got around to placing actual signs. If the drivers are told that a place is a bus stop yet there is no sign, then that is a different matter  then a driver just stopping anywhere there is no sign. But I think it's a general rule of thumb for drivers not to make stops where there is no bus sign, unless told otherwise, unless in this case it's a depot thing. (One depot tells driver to do it one way and other depot tells their drivers to do it another way.) The S41 is run out of the SBC/STS's Bay Shore depot, while my local routes are run out of their their Ronkonkoma depot.

However one of the times I was on a bus and the driver said he couldn't pick up a guy who was trying to flag him down, the route was operated by a different company then it is today. I just thought I should just be clear about that.  (That companies drivers followed the rules, except for a few senior drivers who bent the rules, but not about picking passengers up, and dropping them off or at least not that I'm aware of.)

I never knew that the 41 never originally went to Northport, though that could be because I'm probably a number of years younger then you, and the fact that I have only spent a few years in the mid point of the S41 after it had been extended to Northport. 

"as a bus merging back into high-speed traffic can be difficult & unsafe"

If executed right, it's possible to do so. I do know some highway stops here in my country. So it could be done in SC too.

As well as being unsafe, NYS Route 347 is also one of the most congested roads in Suffolk County. The congestion is so bad that they needed to expand it by one lane, which they started doing about two years ago I believe.  

Archived