Random Thoughts Thread - Suffolk County Transit

Amtrak7

So the s94 bypassed East Hampton RR and intersect s92 at hardscrabble and was a loop route

I don't think the S94 was a loop. It looks like the S94 went from LIU Southampton to either the Montauk Railway Station or Montauk Village. (Its hard to tell because they placed the S94 square in Montauk right in the middle of the 10C route. (The 10C may have been a loop from the Villiage to the Montauk Light House) 

Based on how the S94 isn't indicated as stopping at the East Hampton Railroad Station, I would assume that it didn't stop. However when checking to see if the 74 was listed as a transfer for Coram Plaza, I noticed that it wasn't, even though it was said that the 74 stopped at Coarm Plaza. So it's possible that it stopped there an wasn't shown as it did because of an oversight. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The S94 went to LIU-Southampton in 1993. For some reason whoever made up the map placed the 94's square (to signify it's destination) on the black line meant to show where the shore and not next to the 10A Square. (Like what is done in other places were two or routes end in the same location) 

Did the S94 serve Southampton Hospital?

I don't think so. I do believe back then it was still a summer bus route. I could be wrong.

Edited by The TransitMan

I don't think so. I do believe back then it was still a summer bus route. I could be wrong.

Yeah the S94 was a summer only route back then. (I have no idea why I had thought it wasn't.)

I had only asked because the map showed a route going to Southhampton Hospital and what I believe was the S92 route and then a line for a route connecting the two before Southampton LIU, and I wasn't sure if that short line could have been the S94 or not because it wasn't marked.

I've been trying to draw the 10D/E and the S94 from back in '93 on a Google Map. I've gotten the 10 D and like 90% of the 10E. I wanted to get the S94 as close to correct before I started it, The only part I don't think I have correct would be the routing right before it ended at LIU.

The 10cshould go all the way to the point i mean have it use two buses...after all Hampton jitney owns 6 buses. ..one for the 10c one for the s94 one for the s90 and one for either the 10a aand B also one for the s92 last run at 330pm which would arrive back at 915pm...so now that the s90 is dead have it use for two 10c...iwould prefer the 10c bihourly and not every 3 hours...a total killer

The 10cshould go all the way to the point i mean have it use two buses...after all Hampton jitney owns 6 buses. ..one for the 10c one for the s94 one for the s90 and one for either the 10a aand B also one for the s92 last run at 330pm which would arrive back at 915pm...so now that the s90 is dead have it use for two 10c...iwould prefer the 10c bihourly and not every 3 hours...a total killer

Hampton Jitney doesn't own the transit buses, the County does. They are assigned the 6 buses.

Also non of HJ's assign buses work the s92, that bus is most likely an bus assigned to Sunrise Coach that is kept at the HJ yard for the purpose of being used on the late s92. As I've been told only Sunrise Coach is the operator of the S92.

Yeah the S94 was a summer only route back then. (I have no idea why I had thought it wasn't.)

I had only asked because the map showed a route going to Southhampton Hospital and what I believe was the S92 route and then a line for a route connecting the two before Southampton LIU, and I wasn't sure if that short line could have been the S94 or not because it wasn't marked.

I've been trying to draw the 10D/E and the S94 from back in '93 on a Google Map. I've gotten the 10 D and like 90% of the 10E. I wanted to get the S94 as close to correct before I started it, The only part I don't think I have correct would be the routing right before it ended at LIU.

Yeah that 10D/10E route was (and still was) very confusing at first because they overlap a lot in Hampton Bays. The 10D apparently travels BOTH directions while the 10E travels ONE direction.

As for the S94 ending at L.I.U. Southampton, the map showed it making a LEFT off of Montauk Hwy versus a RIGHT that the 10A would normally make to L.I.U. Southampton. I think that portion of the S94 was either "Not Drawn to Scale" or just wrong.

• 2 months later...

What's with the deviations of the S57 Routes couldn't the 6A be extended to cover Lake Ronkonkoma and the S59 covering McArthur Airport? Is there a point in the deviation, anyone knows the riding patterns?

I would personally have the S42 covering the Colony Park Apartments (and take Peconic straight out to Ocean).

Extending the 6A would mess up the timing, since right now it only requires 1 bus to operate (even though the headways are longer than hourly)

What's with the deviations of the S57 Routes couldn't the 6A be extended to cover Lake Ronkonkoma and the S59 covering McArthur Airport? Is there a point in the deviation, anyone knows the riding patterns?

The S57 routeing around Lake Ronkonkoma covers that of an old private route. So my guess is that there use to be or is some ridership around that. 

The S57 most being doing well enough the way it is to cover the cost. It cost $14.01 to operate the S59 per run according to the County.

Extending the 6A just extends it's run time and could cause the need for a second bus, and if ridership doesn't go up to help pay for a second bus then it would be a waste of money. 

The S57 routeing around Lake Ronkonkoma covers that of an old private route. So my guess is that there use to be or is some ridership around that. 

The S57 most being doing well enough the way it is to cover the cost. It cost $14.01 to operate the S59 per run according to the County.

Extending the 6A just extends it's run time and could cause the need for a second bus, and if ridership doesn't go up to help pay for a second bus then it would be a waste of money.

I still don't think the s57 should serve McArthur Airport, I believe the s59 should do that. People who come from Ronkonkoma could take the shorter more direct s59 Bus

I still don't think the s57 should serve McArthur Airport, I believe the s59 should do that. People who come from Ronkonkoma could take the shorter more direct s59 Bus

The reason why they picked the S57 and not the S59 is something I think we will never know.

The reason why they picked the S57 and not the S59 is something I think we will never know.

Do you believe that if Suffolk County Transit redid their entire route system and eliminate some of the shuttles the system could become more efficient or do you believe that the current system is fine as it is with some modification?

Do you believe that if Suffolk County Transit redid their entire route system and eliminate some of the shuttles the system could become more efficient or do you believe that the current system is fine as it is with some modification?

I believe there are parts of the system that are fine and other parts that could probably use some modification. 

I've personally never seen anyone at Smith Haven shun the 57 for the 59 to get to Ronkonkoma....

Regardless, I don't see what that has to do with whether one bus should serve MacArthur over the other....

I believe there are parts of the system that are fine and other parts that could probably use some modification. 

There's a shock....

Edited by B35 via Church

I've personally never seen anyone at Smith Haven shun the 57 for the 59 to get to Ronkonkoma....

Regardless, I don't see what that has to do with whether one bus should serve MacArthur over the other....

There's a shock....

I mean for people traveling from MacArthur to Ronkokoma Railroad. This could avoid a deviation on the s57

SCT needs to upload GTFS so that they can have Google Maps integration and so that people in this county know that they have a transit system...

Yeah and also with tracking. I once waited for the last s54 and it was a hour late. I thought it wouldn't come. I called the number on the bus stop but it's a Saturday.

• 1 month later...