Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Amtrak7

Random Thoughts Thread - Suffolk County Transit

Recommended Posts

Does the S92 get a lot of North Fork-South Fork riders or does the whole bus usually bail at Riverhead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CDTA said:

Does the S92 get a lot of North Fork-South Fork riders or does the whole bus usually bail at Riverhead?

Buses basically tank at Riverhead, especially from the South Fork (which is where most of the S92's overall usage emanates from)....

Not much through ridership between both forks at all...

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, B35 via Church said:

Buses basically tank at Riverhead, especially from the South Fork (which is where most of the S92's overall usage emanates from)....

Not much through ridership between both forks at all...

Not really. Maybe not as much as the South Fork but there is ridership (which I'm VERY surprised) on the North Fork. Enough ridership where if Suffolk Transit were to eliminate the North Fork portion...heads would roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Not really. Maybe not as much as the South Fork but there is ridership (which I'm VERY surprised) on the North Fork. Enough ridership where if Suffolk Transit were to eliminate the North Fork portion...heads would roll.

Not really what? I never said or intimated anything about eliminating the North fork portion...

The north fork doesn't get as much usage as the south fork of the S92..... That's not saying the north fork doesn't get ridership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not really what? I never said or intimated anything about eliminating the North fork portion...

The north fork doesn't get as much usage as the south fork of the S92..... That's not saying the north fork doesn't get ridership.

???

Bro, I never said you were saying to eliminate the North Fork portion. My apologizes if you thought otherwise.

All I was saying was that within the last few years, that North Fork ridership (which is STILL a surprise to me) has slightly increased...the South Fork has more ridership...yes I agree. IF Suffolk Transit were to eliminate that portion of the S92, then heads would roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

???

Bro, I never said you were saying to eliminate the North Fork portion. My apologizes if you thought otherwise.

All I was saying was that within the last few years, that North Fork ridership (which is STILL a surprise to me) has slightly increased...the South Fork has more ridership...yes I agree. IF Suffolk Transit were to eliminate that portion of the S92, then heads would roll.

Alright, so what was that "not really" response towards then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, so what was that "not really" response towards then?

The ridership traveling between both forks. Again, I was very surprised as I have seen the number of riders traveling between both forks. I thought the same with MANY riders dropping out at Riverhead. Most people (must be during different times of the day) go through Riverhead and start dropping off at Jamesport and Aquebogue.

Edited by The TransitMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

The ridership traveling between both forks. Again, I was very surprised as I have seen the number of riders traveling between both forks. I thought the same with MANY riders dropping out at Riverhead. Most people (must be during different times of the day) go through Riverhead and start dropping off at Jamesport and Aquebogue.

The number of pax. I've seen/experienced over the years that ride through Riverhead (specifically, the county center) were quite low.... Matter of fact, every time I would ride the S92 (either [the full route], or [having gotten off in Riverhead for the S66 back to Patchogue or the S58/62 back to Smith Haven]), I would play a little game & count how many people were leftover on the bus after the masses would disembark at the county center.... The # of people that remained on the bus was never greater than the amt. that disembarked, and I say that with no hesitancy at all...

I know turnover (to/from either fork) is quite high in Riverhead (which is why I wanted to make clear earlier that I wasn't remotely insinuating or flat out saying that usage on the North Fork portion is low).... But if you're telling me most people go through Riverhead, I'd like to know how deep/far in the South Fork these riders are heading to/from - because I haven't experienced any ride on the S92 where that was the case.... I mean, that's your general neck of the woods; you have a better vantage point than I do....

You get this question about the S92 out of people, really, because people look on a map (and/or on the schedule) & see that it's a long ass route (for lack of a better term).... That prompts people to question why that's the case (and/or should it be split or not).... While I do think it should be split, I would worry about how much service SCT/Sunrise would allocate for the north fork over the south fork... The south fork getting more patronage over the north fork is not something someone looking at a map/schedule would know - Which is why I ride these routes for myself & take certain mental notes each & everytime I venture out to, wherever.....

Only other NYC resident I know of that rides SCT's routes is BM5 via Woodhaven (I'm not counting that jester QJT, because I believe he was taking us (members on the forum) for a ride with all his stories, if you catch my drift)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 9:43 PM, B35 via Church said:

The number of pax. I've seen/experienced over the years that ride through Riverhead (specifically, the county center) were quite low.... Matter of fact, every time I would ride the S92 (either [the full route], or [having gotten off in Riverhead for the S66 back to Patchogue or the S58/62 back to Smith Haven]), I would play a little game & count how many people were leftover on the bus after the masses would disembark at the county center.... The # of people that remained on the bus was never greater than the amt. that disembarked, and I say that with no hesitancy at all...

I know turnover (to/from either fork) is quite high in Riverhead (which is why I wanted to make clear earlier that I wasn't remotely insinuating or flat out saying that usage on the North Fork portion is low).... But if you're telling me most people go through Riverhead, I'd like to know how deep/far in the South Fork these riders are heading to/from - because I haven't experienced any ride on the S92 where that was the case.... I mean, that's your general neck of the woods; you have a better vantage point than I do....

You get this question about the S92 out of people, really, because people look on a map (and/or on the schedule) & see that it's a long ass route (for lack of a better term).... That prompts people to question why that's the case (and/or should it be split or not).... While I do think it should be split, I would worry about how much service SCT/Sunrise would allocate for the north fork over the south fork... The south fork getting more patronage over the north fork is not something someone looking at a map/schedule would know - Which is why I ride these routes for myself & take certain mental notes each & everytime I venture out to, wherever.....

Only other NYC resident I know of that rides SCT's routes is BM5 via Woodhaven (I'm not counting that jester QJT, because I believe he was taking us (members on the forum) for a ride with all his stories, if you catch my drift)....

I see what you're saying and you're correct about the service. How most passengers (if not all) get off around the County Center. I agree with you on the S92 being split. Service would be MUCH reliable along the South Fork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.