Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Amtrak7

Random Thoughts Thread - Suffolk County Transit

10 hours ago, Lex said:

Well, I recall seeing at least one video (from within the past few years) of one on the S42. I think this was an actual conversion, as the route isn't exactly known for its ridership, something that hasn't changed much from the days when I had family in Central Islip.

I wouldn't doubt them being on the S42; everyone's too busy jumping on 3c's, 3d's, and S40's.....

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

It looks like the S40 diversion down to Middle Road was quietly eliminated. I didn't even noticed it, until I realize something about the schedule looks off. This has to be a recent thing. 

https://www.sct-bus.org/schedules/s40.pdf

Yeah, I saw a notice on a couple of the buses I rode a couple weeks ago, stating the discontinuation of that branch.... Surprised it lasted this long, to be honest.

27 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I saw a notice on a couple of the buses I rode a couple weeks ago, stating the discontinuation of that branch.... Surprised it lasted this long, to be honest.

Considering how inconsistent service on that branch was (and that it left gaps of 60-120 minutes on the main route in that area, whatever it's like), I share the sentiment.

I just now realized that you can pay for ST bus fares on an app. I was boycotting fanning ST cause of their odd bus stop layout got me passed up as the B/O pulled into the stop, didn't see the route he was driving on the sign and kept going, and this a cold day in November on a route with hour headways!

I'll try to stick to ST routes with short headways, I know the S1 has or had short headways for a suburban bus system.

BTW this happened on the S62 on that last left it makes before Port Jefferson LIRR, Smith Haven mall bound. The stop where it makes the first right after crossing the railroad tracks, the actual bus stop sign wasn't there so I didn't know the bus stopped there otherwise I would have waited there instead of look for another stop.

In the long run it worked in my favor as I ended up getting an M3 on the Ronkonkoma Branch later that day :)

Edited by trainfan22

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I just now realized that you can pay for ST bus fares on an app. I was boycotting fanning ST cause of their odd bus stop layout got me passed up as the B/O pulled into the stop, didn't see the route he was driving on the sign and kept going, and this a cold day in November on a route with hour headways!

I'll try to stick to ST routes with short headways, I know the S1 has or had short headways for a suburban bus system.

BTW this happened on the S62 on that last left it makes before Port Jefferson LIRR, Smith Haven mall bound. The stop where it makes the first right after crossing the railroad tracks, the actual bus stop sign wasn't there so I didn't know the bus stopped there otherwise I would have waited there instead of look for another stop.

In the long run it worked in my favor as I ended up getting an M3 on the Ronkonkoma Branch later that day :)

You wouldn't get too far if you wanted a suburban bus system with short headways lol. The frequency out there simply suck, but they do provide alot of coverage though

Last 3 times I rode the 7a from Patchogue to Ronkonkoma, the total amount of riders on those 3 separate rides = 5

I accounted for 60% of that number :( 

• Sad 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, Mtatransit said:

You wouldn't get too far if you wanted a suburban bus system with short headways lol. The frequency out there simply suck, but they do provide alot of coverage though

To be fair, the US just doesn't really fund suburban transit.

Canada has pretty similar land use patterns and you can find extensive coverage systems with frequent transit in their suburbs.

16 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

To be fair, the US just doesn't really fund suburban transit.

Canada has pretty similar land use patterns and you can find extensive coverage systems with frequent transit in their suburbs.

Canada has higher frequency for their suburbs (well Toronto has every 10 minutes). Most of Canadian's suburb has all day 30 minute service at the minimum. I would also argie that Canadian suburbs are more walkable

I also think its a mindset. In the U.S we written off the suburbs as "they would never use the bus" or "only the poor will use the bus". This mindset prevents transit agency from improving service. The only poor will use transit also cause PEOPLE to not use and support funding transit. 

Ironically in my opinion the most successful suburban transit system was MTA Long Island Bus. They had more ridership than most midsize cities in the U.S. If they would've gotten more funding, we could've gotten a Queens style network in aleast the Western part of Nassau

Edited by Mtatransit