Random Thoughts Thread - Suffolk County Transit

Amtrak7

I really don't think it's called "Macy's Shopping Center" as Macy's would probably be more than happy to call it that.  It is confusing I do believe it is two different shopping centers right next to each other and probably called many things over the years...

While the shopping center is offically called Commack Plaza, it seems, according to a post I had seen on the Commack Patch, that the locals or maybe some never seemed to refer to it by the name. They refered to it simple 'the plaza with whatever start name. Macy's was there, and if I guess may still be there, so that may be why it's refered to as Macy's Shopping Center on the bus schudules. (I mean why confuse the locals who may ride the routes by calling the shopping center by a name they maynot use.)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After taking nasty driver's 8:25 n20 Hicksville #1849, arrived Hicksville Station at 9:40 (I didn't took chance to get off at gas station on Middle Neck Rd to use restroom at gas station b/c she could refused me onboard. LIRR employee was cleaning restroom, so I walk to Old Country Rd to buy newsday and nice employee let me use restroom. I got on 10:40 n79 South Huntington 1661 ontime. Nice male driver gave me transfer for S54 and arrived Walt Whitman Mall at 11:17.

After that, I stopped by at Apple Store to tell Animal Rights activsts called "Long Island Orchestrating for Nature" my plan change from 13:00 to 14:00pm because I missed 7:25 n20 Hicksville, which made me late for protest. At Panera Bread, there was man taking time in restroom and I gave up and waited for 12:00 S54 bus.

I enjoy my Sunday ride on 12:00 S54 Patchogue #1055, nice male driver and he said in friendly voice, "Commack Plaza-Marcy's will be the best choice for S58 bus. Not so many people onboard the bus.

I got off at Commack Plaza/Marcy's at 12:22 and quick rush through Marcy's to use restroom and finished in 5 minutes because I knew S58 bus will be very long time.

Then, I got on 12:35 S58 Riverhead #1068 which came ontime at 10:40 and another nice male driver and I paid $2 for bus ride.

S58 bus got very busy, even after Smith Haven Mall. I was studying the landscape on NYS Route 25/Middle Country Rd because my friend from protest need direction by driving since protest ends after last S58 bus leaves.

At Coram Plaza at 12:41, male bus driver changed and he told his relief I was going to Artist Lake.

There was nice passengers onboard this bus. Male driver didn't know Artist Lake well and passenger almost sent me off at wrong bus stop. I knew shopping center wasn't it because automated announcement didn't say "Now Approaching Middle Country Rd/Artist Lake.", so I didn't get off. Soon after passing beautiful wooden area, I saw protestors in front of circus tent opposite of beautiful gorgeus lake, so I indicated to them by tapping bus window lightly and got off at Artist Lake at 13:55pm. It was beautiful bus ride ever in Suffolk County buses. My first Sunday ride.

From what I heard the S58 on sundays is used more between Smith Haven Mall and Riverhead, though I have no idea why they use the 30ft buses, Especially since the yard they run it out of should have enough 35ft buses to use. 

Overall though I think I remember reading a few months ago that the Sunday Service on the 8 routes that recieved Sunday service back in Janurary, weren't getting more riders then they had been getting on Saturdays. (Or at least there hadn't been a big increase in riders.) I have no idea if things have changed. 

• 3 weeks later...

MAJOR delays & changes on SCT system wide due to flooding (too many to post here)...If you need to ride SCT today check out SCT's twitter feed for updates..  Click this link for SCT's Twitter page.

I was suprised to hear that the 7D/E wasn't running, or at least it wasn't this morning. Normally the 7E misses the area that floods. 

• 4 months later...

From what I heard the S58 on sundays is used more between Smith Haven Mall and Riverhead, though I have no idea why they use the 30ft buses, Especially since the yard they run it out of should have enough 35ft buses to use. 

Overall though I think I remember reading a few months ago that the Sunday Service on the 8 routes that recieved Sunday service back in Janurary, weren't getting more riders then they had been getting on Saturdays. (Or at least there hadn't been a big increase in riders.) I have no idea if things have changed.

they offer no real incentive to use their service then again LIRR service ain't helping since it is so bad out there.

they offer no real incentive to use their service then again LIRR service ain't helping since it is so bad out there.

Suffolk's advertized as well as stuck huge signs at the bus stops announcing that there is Sunday service on those routes that have it. A low turn out at first could have been that not alot of people had known about it, or didn't believe it was a permantant thing and didn't want to get use to taking it and then have it taken away. (I mean the routes that now have Sunday Service wasn't subjected to a fare increase like the S92 and 10C were in order to get the service so it wouldn't be hard ro believe that people thought that the service wouldn't last on the others with no increase to fund it. I mean once I start doing soming in a routine I find it hard not to stop doing it) Or it could have been that at first maybe not that many people weren't that intrested in traveling by bus on Sundays. I mean it's been nearly a year since Sunday Service started on my route and I haven't yet had the need to take the bus on Sunday, maybe there are more people like me.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does the S94 not run to Montauk Station?

That's a good question. I don't know any possible answer to that, and I wouldn't be suprised if there isn't one. My guess would be that if the S94 had been run by a private company Suffolk just kept the route as it was. (I'd say 90% of the bus route were kept as they were from when private operators ran the bus routes) So if it was kept the same as a private operator ran things then you would have to find that company and maybe they would know why they never ran to Montauk Station.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the expected blizzard conditions, Suffolk County Transportation will be terminating all transit and accessible transportation services by 6:00PM this evening.

All transit and accessible transportation services will be cancelled on Tuesday, January 27, 2015.

While services are expected to commence on Wednesday, January 28, 2015, riders should check this website, or call (631)852-5200 to confirm this.

sct_bus_2.jpg

SCT-BUS.org:

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015, the following Suffolk County Transportation routes will have a delayed starting time of 9:00AM:

8A

10A/B

10C

10D/E

All other routes will start at normal hours of operations. Delays should be anticipated given weather and road conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

One of S66 rider thanks LIBRU. We do have same power as Straphangers Campaign, Tri-State Transportation Campaign, and Riders Alliance, well as Transportation Alternative.

"I am so grateful for Sunday service. Due to my severe Diabetes, I was forced to stop driving early and rely on the buses to get everywhere. It wasn't until the new Sunday service that I was even able to spend time with my son on the weekends. It's because of Long Island Bus Riders' Union that I can finally take him to the movies or teach him how to fish and his mother can finally have some time herself. I get an extra day to spend with my son without the fear of not having a ride to get him home on Sunday or to school on Monday, and it's all thanks to the Bus Riders' Union."

Edited by FamousNYLover

One of S66 rider thanks LIBRU. We do have same power as Straphangers Campaign, Tri-State Transportation Campaign, and Riders Alliance, well as Transportation Alternative.

"I am so grateful for Sunday service. Due to my severe Diabetes, I was forced to stop driving early and rely on the buses to get everywhere. It wasn't until the new Sunday service that I was even able to spend time with my son on the weekends. It's because of Long Island Bus Riders' Union that I can finally take him to the movies or teach him how to fish and his mother can finally have some time herself. I get an extra day to spend with my son without the fear of not having a ride to get him home on Sunday or to school on Monday, and it's all thanks to the Bus Riders' Union."

The Sunday Service had nothing to do with the LIBRU, Suffolk had been looking to add Sunday Service for years but never had the money for it. Money from the state and a ridership more willing to take a fare increase for the added service then ridership in the pass led to Sunday Service. LIBRU hopped on something that had probably been in the works for years and has taken claim for helping it which has caused the person to misinterpreate the facts.

You can thank Steve Bellone for Sunday SCT service NOT the LIBRU.... You guys are unbelievable!

You can thank Steve Bellone for Sunday SCT service NOT the LIBRU.... You guys are unbelievable!

Bellone actually made sure something was done about it, Levy had brought the subject up but never really followed through with it since the riders weren't keen on paying higher fares for it during his time in office. 

Yes, the "power" to have one misguided, uninformed person reference you juvenile legion of self-stroking buffoons - about something that isn't even true....

One more time... Stop spamming this forum with the LIBRU bullshit.

From the News12 app:

Cops: 8 people taken to hospital after bus, truck crash

February 18, 2015 BY ELLEN YAN

At least eight people were taken to the hospital, including one by helicopter, after a three-vehicle crash that included a pickup truck and a Suffolk County Transit bus Wednesday in Medford, Suffolk police and bus officials said.

The crash occurred at Station Road near Sills Road / Route 101 at 11:35 a.m., police said.

The pickup truck was going north on Station Road when it ran a red light and slammed into the 7B Patchogue-Bellport bus, which was headed south on Sills, said Philip Berdolt, deputy commissioner of the Suffolk County public works department, which runs the transit bus system.

"It T-boned the bus," he said.

The pickup truck took the brunt of the crash, with the front end and passenger side mangled.

A passenger in the pickup was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital but the extent of that person's injuries was not immediately clear, Berdolt said.

The drivers of the pickup truck and the bus, and five passengers were taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center to be treated for minor injuries, police said.

Berdolt said the only passengers were a mother and four children, and that the driver had bumps and bruises.

A hospital spokeswoman said all were released.

The driver of the third vehicle was not injured, police said.

The intersection was shut down but reopened about 3:20 p.m.

Other details were not immediately available as county officials and Fifth Precinct detectives continued gathering information Wednesday afternoon.

With John Valenti

Bus # 1075...