Random Thoughts Thread - Suffolk County Transit

Amtrak7

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CDTA said:

Does the S92 get a lot of North Fork-South Fork riders or does the whole bus usually bail at Riverhead?

Buses basically tank at Riverhead, especially from the South Fork (which is where most of the S92's overall usage emanates from)....

Not much through ridership between both forks at all...

Edited by B35 via Church

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, B35 via Church said:

Buses basically tank at Riverhead, especially from the South Fork (which is where most of the S92's overall usage emanates from)....

Not much through ridership between both forks at all...

Not really. Maybe not as much as the South Fork but there is ridership (which I'm VERY surprised) on the North Fork. Enough ridership where if Suffolk Transit were to eliminate the North Fork portion...heads would roll.

6 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Not really. Maybe not as much as the South Fork but there is ridership (which I'm VERY surprised) on the North Fork. Enough ridership where if Suffolk Transit were to eliminate the North Fork portion...heads would roll.

Not really what? I never said or intimated anything about eliminating the North fork portion...

The north fork doesn't get as much usage as the south fork of the S92..... That's not saying the north fork doesn't get ridership.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not really what? I never said or intimated anything about eliminating the North fork portion...

The north fork doesn't get as much usage as the south fork of the S92..... That's not saying the north fork doesn't get ridership.

???

Bro, I never said you were saying to eliminate the North Fork portion. My apologizes if you thought otherwise.

All I was saying was that within the last few years, that North Fork ridership (which is STILL a surprise to me) has slightly increased...the South Fork has more ridership...yes I agree. IF Suffolk Transit were to eliminate that portion of the S92, then heads would roll.

9 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

???

Bro, I never said you were saying to eliminate the North Fork portion. My apologizes if you thought otherwise.

All I was saying was that within the last few years, that North Fork ridership (which is STILL a surprise to me) has slightly increased...the South Fork has more ridership...yes I agree. IF Suffolk Transit were to eliminate that portion of the S92, then heads would roll.

Alright, so what was that "not really" response towards then?

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, so what was that "not really" response towards then?

The ridership traveling between both forks. Again, I was very surprised as I have seen the number of riders traveling between both forks. I thought the same with MANY riders dropping out at Riverhead. Most people (must be during different times of the day) go through Riverhead and start dropping off at Jamesport and Aquebogue.

Edited by The TransitMan

6 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

The ridership traveling between both forks. Again, I was very surprised as I have seen the number of riders traveling between both forks. I thought the same with MANY riders dropping out at Riverhead. Most people (must be during different times of the day) go through Riverhead and start dropping off at Jamesport and Aquebogue.

The number of pax. I've seen/experienced over the years that ride through Riverhead (specifically, the county center) were quite low.... Matter of fact, every time I would ride the S92 (either [the full route], or [having gotten off in Riverhead for the S66 back to Patchogue or the S58/62 back to Smith Haven]), I would play a little game & count how many people were leftover on the bus after the masses would disembark at the county center.... The # of people that remained on the bus was never greater than the amt. that disembarked, and I say that with no hesitancy at all...

I know turnover (to/from either fork) is quite high in Riverhead (which is why I wanted to make clear earlier that I wasn't remotely insinuating or flat out saying that usage on the North Fork portion is low).... But if you're telling me most people go through Riverhead, I'd like to know how deep/far in the South Fork these riders are heading to/from - because I haven't experienced any ride on the S92 where that was the case.... I mean, that's your general neck of the woods; you have a better vantage point than I do....

You get this question about the S92 out of people, really, because people look on a map (and/or on the schedule) & see that it's a long ass route (for lack of a better term).... That prompts people to question why that's the case (and/or should it be split or not).... While I do think it should be split, I would worry about how much service SCT/Sunrise would allocate for the north fork over the south fork... The south fork getting more patronage over the north fork is not something someone looking at a map/schedule would know - Which is why I ride these routes for myself & take certain mental notes each & everytime I venture out to, wherever.....

Only other NYC resident I know of that rides SCT's routes is BM5 via Woodhaven (I'm not counting that jester QJT, because I believe he was taking us (members on the forum) for a ride with all his stories, if you catch my drift)....

On 8/10/2018 at 9:43 PM, B35 via Church said:

The number of pax. I've seen/experienced over the years that ride through Riverhead (specifically, the county center) were quite low.... Matter of fact, every time I would ride the S92 (either [the full route], or [having gotten off in Riverhead for the S66 back to Patchogue or the S58/62 back to Smith Haven]), I would play a little game & count how many people were leftover on the bus after the masses would disembark at the county center.... The # of people that remained on the bus was never greater than the amt. that disembarked, and I say that with no hesitancy at all...

I know turnover (to/from either fork) is quite high in Riverhead (which is why I wanted to make clear earlier that I wasn't remotely insinuating or flat out saying that usage on the North Fork portion is low).... But if you're telling me most people go through Riverhead, I'd like to know how deep/far in the South Fork these riders are heading to/from - because I haven't experienced any ride on the S92 where that was the case.... I mean, that's your general neck of the woods; you have a better vantage point than I do....

You get this question about the S92 out of people, really, because people look on a map (and/or on the schedule) & see that it's a long ass route (for lack of a better term).... That prompts people to question why that's the case (and/or should it be split or not).... While I do think it should be split, I would worry about how much service SCT/Sunrise would allocate for the north fork over the south fork... The south fork getting more patronage over the north fork is not something someone looking at a map/schedule would know - Which is why I ride these routes for myself & take certain mental notes each & everytime I venture out to, wherever.....

Only other NYC resident I know of that rides SCT's routes is BM5 via Woodhaven (I'm not counting that jester QJT, because I believe he was taking us (members on the forum) for a ride with all his stories, if you catch my drift)....

I see what you're saying and you're correct about the service. How most passengers (if not all) get off around the County Center. I agree with you on the S92 being split. Service would be MUCH reliable along the South Fork.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How is it that this guy is always on, or immediately in the vicinity of these buses that are breaking down out on LI..... Glad he doesn't ride buses here in the city... NICE & SCT needs to blacklist this dude, for real....

Aside from that, smfh at putting mini-buses on the S58.... Pineyboy is right though, quite sure that thing got slammed before reaching Smith Haven

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, B35 via Church said:

How is it that this guy is always on, or immediately in the vicinity of these buses that are breaking down out on LI..... Glad he doesn't ride buses here in the city... NICE & SCT needs to blacklist this dude, for real....

Aside from that, smfh at putting mini-buses on the S58.... Pineyboy is right though, quite sure that thing got slammed before reaching Smith Haven

Well supposedly those mini-buses are going to be replaced...by regular buses. Thank goodness!

• 1 month later...

I once said about 3-4 years ago that the s92 was a very very long route its route is 3 times more longer than the (MTA) s78 bus and is 50 in shy of the real longest bus route in the states the NJT 317...the s92 basically splits up in 2 portions the North North fork route from Riverhead to Orient Point via Greenport and the south fork portion to East Hampton via Flanders and the Hamptons via Sag Harbour...I put a statistic in that 75% of the ridership is the SF portion while the NF portion at 25%...but is really depending time and day since majority of its passengers get off at Riverhead or itineraries since Riverhead is basically the ONLY transfer point between the S92 and other SCT routes and by virtue to the west part of the county going to as far as Patchogue (s66) Hauppauge (s62) or East Northport (s58) since the rest of transfer are to feeder routes (10B and 10c the latter more important since it heads to Montauk as the only bus route out there) then again 4 years ago this turned out to be really a. Myth in wh ich many do go beyond Riverhead if boarded in itineraries going either to Greenport or East Hampton...in reality I remember once summer 2015 I got on the 440p s92 to Riverhead which by schedule was suppose. To reach Riverhead by 600pm but reaches nearly 1 hour late 657pm missing the 645p s58 and the 650p s66 but luckily catched the s62 to Port Jefferson and took the LIRR back to the city in that rush hour s92 I witnessed a 1st time ever packed Suffolk Transit bus it looked like I was in an MTA bus like the q58 bus but it was in Suffolk county...when I pressed the stop request button I was the only one disembark with the packed s92 going to Orient Point (last bus up to the point) but I got a glanced of many Latinos boarding the bus going from Hampton bays and especially Flanders which is home to a sizeable Hispanic population and really the poorest portion of the Hamptons since the hamptons really commences here in Flanders (where the big duck is located)...in return I would say YES and NO...yes because Riverhead is the tanking refueling point of passengers but no in which many go beyond Riverhead...I once suggested that the s92 be split in 2 routes but by witnessing 4 times ridership in the s92 I can estimate that about 60% go between the 2 forks and 40% disembark at Riverhead is a must to say that the s92 WON'T be split into2 routes since more than half the ridership go beyond the 2 forks especially the Hispanics at 85% since many work at the rich people homes as landscaping heck the Hampton are clean because of them (well I give them my support since I myself am Hispanic) but to them the s92 is like a regular MTA bus route just that it is in Suffolk reality in the end of the county so its a NONO for the split

P.D: really no one go past Greenport but the bus goes all the way to O.P.anyways but it really goes there if a passenger there is willing to go to Orient Point if he/she gets off at East Marion or Orient but I can estimate that probably like 3-5 people board the Greenport-Orient Point segment virtually all the very low ridership is treated like a shuttle since all get off at Greenport...I can guess that the s92 goes to Orient Point for 2 reasons 1) the Ferry pays the bus segment from Greenport to the Ferry dock since the s92 really I repeat really terminates in Greenport heck all 3 times I went to Orient Point the driver asked me if I was going to the ferry dock dock which I replied with YES...but in virtue the s92 dissent go to Orient Point...I can assume that if a 1055am s92 from Riverhead arrives Greenport at 1150am and in schedule due to arrive the ferry dock at 1210pm what the driver would do is terminate in Greenport go buy its lunch at the supermarket or dinery nearby and just adjust its clock alarm to 1225pm to leave Greenport and report there for the 1240pm departure...in turn they do this since this part of the county is sparsely populated possibly the only region with a very low population and with a bus line I mean Oyster bay has more people than this region compared and no bus routes...the true reason drivers do this is because 1) rarely no one goes to the ferry dock (5% at much) 2) the bus much more be adjust. To be on time the departure or arriving ferry boat (1210pm to 1240pm is a big margin) and the real reason is 3) Greenport has it all for concessions for the driver also if the bus is bad shape after the 3 hour+ trip from East Hampton it can change buses at the garage since the s92 bus garage is at Greenport hence giving Greenport as the as the TRUE terminal of the s92 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, Mtatransit said:

Compared to NICE buses, it seems like SCT doesn't do interlining. Do the same drivers do the same routes the whole day?

Some routes are Interlined. 

There is a few S40 runs that are inter lined with the S66. 

The S68 interlines with S61 about the start of the afternoon Rush.

A 6B driver heads to Hauppauge in the afternoon to be an S110 run from there.

A S66 driver replaces the 6B driver that goes to do the S110. 

The second 6B in the morning from SCCC-Selden comes off a short run of the 6A

A 3C driver heads all the way to Patchouge to be the S66. 

The First S110 driver in the morning heads from SUNY Farmingdale to Bay Shore to be a  S45. 

The first S60 driver of the day becomes the first S56 from Smith Haven Mall.

On Saturday an S59 driver interlines with the S60 that becomes the S69

There is also a Saturday Interline with an S62 and S57. 

Edited by mac5689

• 2 months later...

What's wrong with the 2B? I tried the S1 to Farmingdale State College for a connection to the n70, and the guy on board the bus was complaining about how the 2B won't honor the transfer at Smith Street.

I see SCT using small Arbok buses for the S20 at Sunrise Mall while waiting for the n71. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So what happens to the S68?

Nothing. SCT's Hours are evenly spread among routes to prevent one bus operator from doing too much. I think the S68/S66 is supposed to run on a combined 30 minutes.

NICE should give the n48 and n49, n54 and n55 separate paper schedules.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of miss doing those trip reports I used to do....

Lol..... Nothing like waiting for a bus for 43 minutes in the snow (of course it was for the dam S54.. my luck with that bus sucks).... If anyone passed by Jericho Tpke & ElDorado dr. (same side as the McDonalds) & saw about 50 snowballs by the bus stop, that was me that made 'em.... Police in the Mickey D's parking lot, I'm sure were watching me, but as long as I wasn't approached & nothing was said to me, well no harm, no foul......

Anyway, the real reason for the the post here, is to ask - Which routes does SCT operate minibuses on?  Or is it a random thing?

Did some (long overdue) SCT fanning yesterday... Did the S66 (from Patchogue) to Riverhead > S62 to Smith Haven > S63 back to Patchogue > 7a to LIRR Ronkonkoma > S59 back to Smith Haven > S58 to Huntington Sq. mall > S54 to Whitman Mall > S29 to LIRR Babylon....

Ended up just missing the S41 as Huntington Sq. (thanks to the slick road conditions along Middle Country, but at least the S58 driver got us there in one piece; we skidded twice), so I had to improvise...... Snow started coming down when I was on the 7a, around a quarter to 2pm.....

The 7b and the S59 I took, were minibuses..... Also saw them throughout the day on the S20, S57, 6a (the two 6b's I saw were the 35 footers though), and the 1a.....

48 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Anyway, the real reason for the the post here, is to ask - Which routes does SCT operate minibuses on?  Or is it a random thing?

Well, I recall seeing at least one video (from within the past few years) of one on the S42. I think this was an actual conversion, as the route isn't exactly known for its ridership, something that hasn't changed much from the days when I had family in Central Islip.

Edited by Lex