MTA Job Fair August 8th...

circa1904

Hello all,

This topic will probably sink like a stone but I thought I would give it a shot anyway ^_^

Has anyone here ever had any experience attending a job fair held by the MTA?

There is to be one tomorrow, August 8th, up at Columbia University. 

http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/open_house.pdf

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2013/07/30/mta-job-career-fair-august-8

If anyone has had any experience or knows someone who has, is it a worthwhile experience, or am I better off just keeping my eyes peeled on the MTA jobs page and exam openings?  (The MTA advertisement doesn't seem to indicate that it would solely be corporate jobs or the like.)    If anyone has any info or opinions, please feel free to share!

Well, my peers and I will stop by to check things out. This will be our first career fair regarding the MTA. So, we're pretty much excited about it.

It's a bit of journey for me distance wise, but I figure I'll slog it out. Never hurts to find out as much information as you can even if its only for a few hours.  Thanks for your response.  ^_^

I got there today at 10 am, was waiting in line for an hour before someone told us that they wouldn't be accepting any more people to the job fair because it was too full. Was told to register online and choose "Harlem Week" as the answer to how I heard about the job fair, but I couldn't find anything about that on mta.info. Did anyone else find anything online about registering?

I got there today at 10 am, was waiting in line for an hour before someone told us that they wouldn't be accepting any more people to the job fair because it was too full. Was told to register online and choose "Harlem Week" as the answer to how I heard about the job fair, but I couldn't find anything about that on mta.info. Did anyone else find anything online about registering?

Darn.  At the very last minute, something came up and I was unable to make it to the city.  Since I started this OP, I have been kicking myself all morning for not being able to make it but now I suppose it would have been for naught, and I most certainly would not have been able to be there at 10 sharp, try as I might.  Sorry to hear you couldn't make it inside.  It sounds like they could have used a bigger venue or held it more than one day.  Hopefully some other members here were able to make it inside or heard where exactly you "register" and what that entails.  

That sucks and that's also bad preparation by the MTA. They should of known there was going to be a huge turnout. Good luck and keep your eye on the website.

Extremely bad preparation. They should've rented out the Javits center or the Barclays center. It was very obvious an MTA sponsored job fair would bring in a huge crowd. Especially with some many folks in need of a job or better paying job. I recommend so many folks to go up there and not a single person has told me that they got in. All said they waited in line for over an hour only to be sent packing. And that sucks because many of them took time off of work, time they couldn't afford to take, but sacrificed it for a chance at a better job. So they made people waste time and energy and the fare there and back home. They could've at least let people drop their resumes in a box or something. But to tell folks to go to the website is BS. They could've done without taking the trip there.

Yes bad preparation when they were only looking for 200 people someone has told me.

Looking to have 200 people cycle through the job fair?  200 people to hire? 

Doesn't matter either way.  Being all divisions of the MTA were to be represented at the job fair 200 seems to be an extremely low number for hires or for a pool.  I've seen well over 200 show up an a Metro North job fair alone.

I filled out a form and gave it in.  That's all i cared about.  Glad i didn't bother to get dressed up.  I kinda knew I wouldn't actually get to speak to anyone.  I agree with the person who said the Javits center would be better.  I was thinking that as i arrived at 116th street.

As far as looking for the Harlem Week icon at the website, it will not lead you to the career fair. Just simply go to the MTA career opportunities section, and pick out what agency you would like to work for, or what jobs are open. The choices are MTA NYC Transit, MTA Bus, Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, Bridge & Tunnel, and MTA Capital. 

I went through all of them, and whatever I qualified for I placed in my resume and filled out the application online. During that job fair, I too was shocked to see all those people waiting on line to enter the building. I also found out that the line was so huge, that it went around the block!!! But I managed to give one of the MTA representatives a copy of my resume, and filled out the application that the school security guards were handing out for a future appointment. But, do yourselves a favor. Don't just rely on that application that you had to fill on that day when you were at the fair. Go to the website and place your resume and your application on the job that you want. You'll beat two birds with one stone.

Archived