Train operator signal test

madspyxxx

Does anyone have a pdf or power point booklet to hlo study for the signal quizes and tests.

Its called *Listen to your Instructors and study what they give you* In Schoolcar... :)

If you arent in Schoolcar then no need for this  question. If you are then just follow the first response !  :)

Rude and rude. Just wanted something more compact to study from. Thank you.

No i wasnt being rude but actually if you go to this link here..

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38133-the-schoolcar-experience/

Or maybe this One here..

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/31046-train-operator-exam-8098-dcas-notice-of-result-letter-arrived/

They can help you too..

Now are you on the TO List?

Trust me when I say he's not being rude. It seems you may be in school car and if you are then follow your instructors instructions. They put a daily focus on signals. Take notes, study the notes and study the materials they provide you. If you want something more compact that you want the chance of missing something important when it comes to signals and if you miss that important point during the test that will be your last day of school car.

If you are not in school car then there is no need really to be concerned.

Rude and rude. Just wanted something more compact to study from. Thank you.

I don't know how he's being rude. Go to school car and study what they teach you and read the plenty of material they give you. If you got sworn in you already have your rule book and every signal is in there. If your looking for anything else be sure no one will post anything like that up in this foamer site.

When I was in schoolcar, they gave me a packet with all of the signals and definitions which is about 20 pages stapled together. You didn't get one of those? There really isn't anything more compact than that because you have to know EVERY WORD in it!

When I was in schoolcar, they gave me a packet with all of the signals and definitions which is about 20 pages stapled together. You didn't get one of those? There really isn't anything more compact than that because you have to know EVERY WORD in it!

No havent got that yet. 

I wonder how many folk on this forum think that signals are just those red, yellow and green things? There are also audible signals (who here knows what a long-short blast on the horn means?), hand signals, flags, and miscellaneous signs, and train operators are required to know ALL of them.

I'm surprised how many other conductors I've talked to don't know what a white sign with a black P on it is......

You always look to put down your co workers.

But is the statement factual? Since I haven't been keeping up with schoolcar I have a question. Are conductors required to pass a signals test these days? Back in those ancient days when I was a C/R we had to pass the same test M/M had to pass. Back when "the trains were wood and the men were iron" was the mantra. Remember that one of the duties of a C/R was to flag a train from the head end so a C/R had to know signals. Unfortunately, when I left there were some T/Os and TSSs around whom I trusted less than my C/R to flag me. It got so bad that they weren't allowing any non-supervisor to flag a train which sometimes created a longer delay while the crew waited for a supervisor to arrive. How are things today?

But is the statement factual? Since I haven't been keeping up with schoolcar I have a question. Are conductors required to pass a signals test these days? Back in those ancient days when I was a C/R we had to pass the same test M/M had to pass. Back when "the trains were wood and the men were iron" was the mantra. Remember that one of the duties of a C/R was to flag a train from the head end so a C/R had to know signals. Unfortunately, when I left there were some T/Os and TSSs around who I trusted less than my C/R to flag me. It got so bad that they weren't allowing any non-supervisor to flag a train which sometimes created a longer delay while the crew waited for a supervisor to arrive. How are things today?

C/Rs are not required to pass a signals test like T/Os are. Its recommended that they learn it for times when they will be flagging. I know the TSS in the C/R class that was next to ours one day in the train yard had been touching on signals but I dont think it was very indepth.

Does anyone have a pdf or power point booklet to hlo study for the signal quizes and tests.

There was a .PPT file floating around school car amongst a few C/Rs who were promoted to T/O but I heard it was outdated and was missing a few portions.

In the Rules and Regulations book as well as the Train Operators operations manual has most of what you need to know on signals. Everyone in school car received these at P.S. 248.

If you are in school car you will get a signals book when you go to the simulator.

Yes, C/R's ARE required to pass the signal test too! At least we were back in 2011 when I was in schoolcar.

Unfortunately even though C/R's are taught other-than-head-car operation, supervision will no longer let us perform it except in the biggest emergency when nobody else can reach the train. One of the questions on the C/R final exam (one of the two I got wrong) even stated that a TSS must be on the scene before an other-than-head-car move can be made.

I wonder how many folk on this forum think that signals are just those red, yellow and green things? There are also audible signals (who here knows what a long-short blast on the horn means?), hand signals, flags, and miscellaneous signs, and train operators are required to know ALL of them.

I'm surprised how many other conductors I've talked to don't know what a white sign with a black P on it is......

I know i know, pick me :lol:

Still a rule book signal, C/R's should know what it means, even if they don't see it. And it was a question on the towers exam (very important signal for tower operators, especially at 111!) which a BUNCH of other C/R's asked me about afterward.

Now maybe some people can see what I was getting at when I asked about the C/R's signal test. We were given the same rule book signal exam that M/M were given. We had the same instructors. There was only one class of M/M or C/Rs breaking in at a time in each division. The big difference was that IRT M/M and C/Rs had to learn IRT signals, too. The reason we all took the same signals test because every position in RTO, from entry level C/R to the top dog, T/M, had signals on all of the promotional exams. My M/M class was basically the same people who were in my C/R class and we had the same instructors. Imagine being taught about a door malfunction when the motor instructor suddenly turns to you to explain a "call-on" signal. Now imagine a M/M or C/R screwing up the answer and the instructor throws an eraser (if you're lucky) or a brake handle in your direction because you didn't know the most important part of RTO. R32, R62, R160, is for railfans and I don't knock them. There are people on these forums who can tell you who made the traction motors, braking system, door controls or what have you. As my rabbi taught us through my career the most important part of RTO is the signal system. If you work in RTO, in any capacity, and don't know signals it meant you don't know your job. As Snowblock and a few others have pointed out something as simple as two buzzes from C/R to T/O is a signal. Rant and history lesson over. Carry on.

Now maybe some people can see what I was getting at when I asked about the C/R's signal test. We were given the same rule book signal exam that M/M were given. We had the same instructors. There was only one class of M/M or C/Rs breaking in at a time in each division. The big difference was that IRT M/M and C/Rs had to learn IRT signals, too. The reason we all took the same signals test because every position in RTO, from entry level C/R to the top dog, T/M, had signals on all of the promotional exams. My M/M class was basically the same people who were in my C/R class and we had the same instructors. Imagine being taught about a door malfunction when the motor instructor suddenly turns to you to explain a "call-on" signal. Now imagine a M/M or C/R screwing up the answer and the instructor throws an eraser (if you're lucky) or a brake handle in your direction because you didn't know the most important part of RTO. R32, R62, R160, is for railfans and I don't knock them. There are people on these forums who can tell you who made the traction motors, braking system, door controls or what have you. As my rabbi taught us through my career the most important part of RTO is the signal system. If you work in RTO, in any capacity, and don't know signals it meant you don't know your job. As Snowblock and a few others have pointed out something as simple as two buzzes from C/R to T/O is a signal. Rant and history lesson over. Carry on.

Your posts are always informative Trainmaster!

My C/R schoolcar instructors specifically DIDN'T teach us IRT signals, despite being in the A-Div. We were told to ignore any IRT signal when studying, and that almost all of those signals were gone, and the rest would be gone soon (has that even happened yet?). However, there was one IRT signal question on the towers exam too, so it's a good thing I studied it on my own (having two days a week on the (5) for a pick last year helped too!)

Archived