RTS' make a return to Staten Island

LRG

Due to multiple 6xxx's being removed from service from Staten Island as a result of deferred maintenance, RTS buses are making a return to Staten Island for the rest of the summer until they get their Orion 5s back.

Five buses were sent from Ulmer Park to Yukon for p.m. service, and ran exclusively on the S89 Limited. After p.m. rush hour service was over, the buses went back to Ulmer Park. This pattern is likely to continue, as I don't know if they'll have the buses just stay at Yukon rather than send them back and forth.

The buses that were sent yesterday were 5090, 5098, 9408, 9416, 9616 and 9614. The buses running today are 5077, 5101, 5110, 9400 and 9410. Shifting will not occur on weekends. Happy hunting.

Interesting. Sounds like Yukon will kill them more than likely kill them if anything. Either way, sounds foamtastic.

Just realized it's interesting how they're running the S89... I don't recall seeing EZPass on those buses (which makes me wonder how they got across the Verrazano).

Probably just switched them out from the Vii's.

They need to stay in staten island. Forget moving them back to brooklyn. Going to school out there now I would say people would benifit from a longer more roomy bus as opposed to those small orion buses. last semester it was hell getting on a S93 going home because I always ended up squished. Hopefully more RTSs will get sent to staten island and go to caselton as well as yukon and speaking from experince the S93 could really use some RTSs. But we'll see what happens.

They need to stay in staten island. Forget moving them back to brooklyn. Going to school out there now I would say people would benifit from a longer more roomy bus as opposed to those small orion buses. last semester it was hell getting on a S93 going home because I always ended up squished. Hopefully more RTSs will get sent to staten island and go to caselton as well as yukon and speaking from experince the S93 could really use some RTSs. But we'll see what happens.

Don't count on it. As much as I enjoyed the RTS' in Staten Island, it doesn't look like they'll be coming back anytime soon (not including Yukon's current situation.)

Don't count on it. As much as I enjoyed the RTS' in Staten Island, it doesn't look like they'll be coming back anytime soon (not including Yukon's current situation.)

Right lol. But if they dont keep the RTS I hope they at least bring back some XD40s cus those were execllent on the S93. and I dont wanna sound like a foamer but they never considered artics for staten island ?

Right lol. But if they dont keep the RTS I hope they at least bring back some XD40s cus those were execllent on the S93. and I dont wanna sound like a foamer but they never considered artics for staten island ?

Once again, not to kill your hopes but the XD40's, I'm not sure about them making a return either. As for artics, probably not because most of the streets in Staten Island are too narrow and most of the routes don't really have ridership for them.

The S79 has grown a lot in ridership and deserves artics. The S53 shud also get artics because sometimes they can bee crowded.  

All i know is that the north shore busway will have routes 100 and 101 SBS running artics, but since the busway will take 6+ years to complete and they have not had even started because of money, new buses will follow.

My guess is that when the economy fully recovers (2019), they will begin construction and run these. They will entirely replace their fleet, expand express bus service, and possibly add reverse peak 46 from 6-9AM and 2:30-10PM

On the SI fleet, I think it would make sense for the other depots to lend their NGs and O5s, so at least SI has buses they are familiar with. Perhaps go one step further: transfer these buses to SI and (send the buses that are currently being repaired to MtA bus) when the MTA ever gets the new order of buses, send them directly to the depots that had to give up their buses.

I just hope the mta didn't retire too many buses yet as it seems like they will be needed very soon with school starting in a few weeks.

On the SI fleet, I think it would make sense for the other depots to lend their NGs and O5s, so at least SI has buses they are familiar with. Perhaps go one step further: transfer these buses to SI and (send the buses that are currently being repaired to MtA bus) when the MTA ever gets the new order of buses, send them directly to the depots that had to give up their buses.

I just hope the mta didn't retire too many buses yet as it seems like they will be needed very soon with school starting in a few weeks.

If anything they'll throw a few Prevost's or MCI's on the trippers to make service in the next week or two.

On the SI fleet, I think it would make sense for the other depots to lend their NGs and O5s, so at least SI has buses they are familiar with.

Technically, they tried to do that since SI has gotten O5s from Bronx division depots and Casey Stengel, but even that's not enough if Yukon is short to the point where they're sending out MCI's and Prevosts on the local routes to cover their runs.

Archived