(4) Tagged.....

pelhamlocal

Would someone like to explain to me what "thrill" these cretins get from sneaking around transit property at night (I assume these were tagged at night) and damaging other peoples property?? Real sick!

Different people will have different interests and motives.  Those same people would probably ask the same for you on interest in transit and such.

Another note, I'm amazed the MTA personnel let this set run in this condition!

Would someone like to explain to me what "thrill" these cretins get from sneaking around transit property at night (I assume these were tagged at night) and damaging other peoples property?? Real sick!

Graffiti Art, illegal as it is if expressed as vandalism on MTA Subways cars instead of on canvas at art shows or with legal permission by property owners, is a part of the classic hip hop movement which started in the 70's in New York City, then the world. That's the motivation behind it. However it is a automatic felony plus trespassing automatic if a graffiti artist gets bagged in train yards or areas in the subways assigned by the T/Ds for overnight or weekend layups.

Why a NTT? Graffiti artists are just as knowledged as railfanners respectively on the technicals of different car fleets but because of peer pressure kids will hit particularly NTTs and post it on the net anonymously under their tag names. The graffiti artists that can bomb a R142, R160, an R188 for that matter (they are astutely aware) will get major recognition by other artists in the subculture. New York will be New York, it is what it is.

peacemak3r, pelhamlocal, +1.

Different people will have different interests and motives.  Those same people would probably ask the same for you on interest in transit and such.

Another note, I'm amazed the MTA personnel let this set run in this condition!

The difference being however that my interest in transit doesn't include running around and tagging/damaging trains, or other property which does not belong to me. I don't see how you can compare the two - it'd be like comparing someone photographing a city to someone tagging and damaging a city. Makes no sense.

Graffiti is absolutely disgusting (and is everywhere, especially in Europe) and I would love to see stricter enforcement against it. If people want to make street art, which can sometimes be visually pleasing, there are correct venues for that and none of them involves tagging a train.

Why a NTT? Graffiti artists are just as knowledged as railfanners respectively on the technicals of different car fleets

No they're not - they just see something which looks relatively new and decide to tag it up, then post it on the internet so that they can gloat to their buddies. It has nothing to do with knowing the specs of different car classes. Passengers can also tell what is new and what is not - doesn't mean they know a thing about the train itself though.

The difference being however that my interest in transit doesn't include running around and tagging/damaging trains, or other property which

does not belong to me. I don't see how you can compare the two - it'd be like comparing someone photographing a city to someone

tagging and damaging a city. Makes no sense.

Graffiti is absolutely disgusting (and is everywhere, especially in Europe) and I would

love to see stricter enforcement against it. If people want to make street art, which can sometimes be visually pleasing, there are correct venues for that and none of them involves tagging a train.

No they're not - they just see something which looks relatively new and decide to tag it up, then post it on the internet so that they can gloat to their buddies. It has nothing to do with knowing

the specs of different car classes. Passengers

can also tell what is new and what is not - doesn't mean they know a thing about the train itself though.

actually not the case they do know what the cars are.Case in point I'm waiting for the train after school with some buddies The (R) comes in and it's a R160 one car is bombed with "Tele" in yellow script (the HighSchool for Telicommunications Art and Technology)The friend says "If they dare bomb a 160 then we'll lock them out of it"and proceeded to rip the plastic off each door window on the right side of the car and stuck it where the door meets that sliver metal and when the train came into Bay Ridge Av the door didn't open!

Graffiti artists certainty know the difference between the car fleets, I remember watching a vid on Youtube of a former tagger reflecting on the days when non stainless steal cars ran on the subway, like those IRT SMEE fleets prior to the 62/As.

They do. They used to even have the keys to get to the motorman cabs and to unlock end or side doors.

Graffiti artists certainty know the difference between the car fleets, I remember watching a vid on Youtube of a former tagger reflecting on the days when non stainless steal cars ran on the subway, like those IRT SMEE fleets prior to the 62/As.

Ok. So some people can tell apart the difference between old and new.  Great. Some people can, although my mom can't tell an R32 and an R46 apart.

However, realizm seemed to indicate that they are knowledgable on the "technicals" of different car fleets - as if they would know, for example, which propulsion which car uses. Such would only be the case if they were also railfans, and I can't think of why a railfan would want to target a vehicle that he is interested in!

And having the keys to various doors does not mean they are railbuffs either.

Ok. So some people can tell apart the difference between old and new.  Great. Some people can, although my mom can't tell an R32 and an R46 apart.

However, realizm seemed to indicate that they are knowledgable on the "technicals" of different car fleets - as if they would know, for example, which propulsion which car uses. Such would only be the case if they were also railfans, and I can't think of why a railfan would want to target a vehicle that he is interested in!

And having the keys to various doors does not mean they are railbuffs either.

But they sure know more than the average straphanger about routes, the fleets and times the T/Ds schedule for the layups of trains, where, what times, and so forth. So they can hit the cars. They know about the abandoned stations. So they can burn those stations too. Think about it.

The difference being however that my interest in transit doesn't include running around and tagging/damaging trains, or other property which does not belong to me. I don't see how you can compare the two - it'd be like comparing someone photographing a city to someone tagging and damaging a city. Makes no sense.

Graffiti is absolutely disgusting (and is everywhere, especially in Europe) and I would love to see stricter enforcement against it. If people want to make street art, which can sometimes be visually pleasing, there are correct venues for that and none of them involves tagging a train.

No they're not - they just see something which looks relatively new and decide to tag it up, then post it on the internet so that they can gloat to their buddies. It has nothing to do with knowing the specs of different car classes. Passengers can also tell what is new and what is not - doesn't mean they know a thing about the train itself though.

Tagging/damaging trains are motives, your reply proves your narrow-mindedness.  You obviously skipped the word motives because you're still thinking it's not comparable. Furthermore, you can't blame the entire "graffiti" group solely on a few misbehaving vandals.  That's like blaming all drivers because of a drunk driver killing an innocent bystander.  You want motives on overly crazed transit buffs? 1. Photographers that block pathways or scream at straphangers to move out the way for a shot. (It rarely happens but it doesn't rule out that it never happened.) 2. Rail buffs belittling non-buffs because they don't know their information on things..I've seen this done many times.  It may not be physical damage, but it's still damage.

There are two types of graffiti, the ones where they are legally allowed and have permission which in most cases happens on large walls. There's one done near my house representing a 9/11 memorial done but a regular graffiti artist.  Then there are your "vandals" that do this without the permission.  So under your logic, you're saying the 9/11 memorial graffiti is disgusting?  Of course not, you can't blame an entire community solely on a few vandals.

You are obviously only seeing one side of the picture.  Yeah the damage done to the MTA cars is wrong, but seriously blaming the entire community now?

Tagging/damaging trains are motives, your reply proves your narrow-mindedness.  You obviously skipped the word motives because you're still thinking it's not comparable. Furthermore, you can't blame the entire "graffiti" group solely on a few misbehaving vandals.  That's like blaming all drivers because of a drunk driver killing an innocent bystander.  You want motives on overly crazed transit buffs? 1. Photographers that block pathways or scream at straphangers to move out the way for a shot. (It rarely happens but it doesn't rule out that it never happened.) 2. Rail buffs belittling non-buffs because they don't know their information on things..I've seen this done many times.  It may not be physical damage, but it's still damage.

There are two types of graffiti, the ones where they are legally allowed and have permission which in most cases happens on large walls. There's one done near my house representing a 9/11 memorial done but a regular graffiti artist.  Then there are your "vandals" that do this without the permission.  So under your logic, you're saying the 9/11 memorial graffiti is disgusting?  Of course not, you can't blame an entire community solely on a few vandals.

You are obviously only seeing one side of the picture.  Yeah the damage done to the MTA cars is wrong, but seriously blaming the entire community now?

Blaming the entire Hip Hop Movement? That's where I'm coming from.

But they sure know more than the average straphanger about routes, the fleets and times the T/Ds schedule for the layups of trains, where, what times, and so forth. So they can hit the cars. They know about the abandoned stations. So they can burn those stations too. Think about it.

Fair enough.

Furthermore, you can't blame the entire "graffiti" group solely on a few misbehaving vandals.

When I refer to graffiti, I am not talking about "street art*", as most people refer to it - I am referring to the atrocities made by a**holes with spray paint cans that are frequently vulgar in nature found on the side of buildings, inside abandoned stations, or on this train. Tagging, if you will, and since graffiti has become almost synonymous with tagging street art is a much better term to distinguish between the two.

You want motives on overly crazed transit buffs? 1. Photographers that block pathways or scream at straphangers to move out the way for a shot. (It rarely happens but it doesn't rule out that it never happened.) 2. Rail buffs belittling non-buffs because they don't know their information on things..I've seen this done many times.  It may not be physical damage, but it's still damage.

I have never denied that there can be a**holes in this hobby that take this shit too seriously. But the point is that the main point of this hobby is not to deface public property.

There are two types of graffiti, the ones where they are legally allowed and have permission which in most cases happens on large walls.

Hence, my comment about appropriate venues.

There's one done near my house representing a 9/11 memorial done but a regular graffiti artist.  Then there are your "vandals" that do this without the permission.  So under your logic, you're saying the 9/11 memorial graffiti is disgusting?  Of course not, you can't blame an entire community solely on a few vandals.

No, the graffiti is disgusting because it's frequently just a bunch of colors smeared across a canvas, with much profanities and a general eyesore, made by worthless little punks who suffer from the delusion that owning a can of spray paint makes them an 'artist'. You can find a lot of this garbage on photos of the NYC Subway from the 1980s, such as here, here, and here. Or just go to the first post for another good example - I could also throw a bunch of colors at a canvas, but that doesn't make me an artist.

Some "graffiti" may be in good tastes, but NEVER looks like the shit on the photos I posted above. I don't know about this memorial you speak of, but I would be very shocked if it did mach the nonsense on the train photos.

Assuming the 9/11 memorial indeed looks how I am imagining it, is what I would define as street art or a mural, because usually the subject is much more comprehensive and it looks like the artist actually took time to make it look good, instead of just smearing a bunch of colors at a canvas, but if they made the mural without permission I am against it as well. If it was your property, I doubt you'd be so welcoming to it. There are ways people with actual talent can get permission to display their stuff, so there's no excuse.

And here is an example of what I refer to as street art:

1337912438.jpg

Additionally, I am not a fan of all art either - there are some ugly ones I have found on the internet that just look too ugly for my tastes.

You are obviously only seeing one side of the picture.

I would disagree with that. I have already said that I am not against street art and murals, so long as permission is obtained.

There was a bylaw in Edmonton passed forcing property owners to clean up graffiti 2 weeks after it first appears, or risk a fine. Penalizing the victims, idiots.

Archived