Port Authority to offer weekend pedestrian shuttle bus service at Bayonne Bridge

So, you want to cross the Bayonne Bridge but you have no car. The Port Authority plans to help.

Since the closing of the bridge walkway earlier this month, pedestrians and bicyclists have had no way to get from Bayonne to Staten Island and back.

That changes today.

The Port Authority said it will begin providing weekend shuttle service for pedestrians and bicyclists.

The service is free of charge and will run Fridays through Sundays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

While the walkway will be closed until the “Raise the Roadway” construction project is completed, the shuttle will only run “during the peak usage months” from May to October, according to a press release sent out by the Port Authority.

Shuttles, running every 30 minutes, will make stops at two locations, one on each side of the bridge.

The shuttles leave Bayonne on the hour and half-hour, and they leave Staten Island at 15 minutes and 45 minutes after the hour.

The stop in Bayonne will be located on west fourth Street adjacent from the staircase leading up to the walkway, while the stop in Staten Island will be located at the entrance to the Bayonne Bridge Administration Building Parking Lot.

The shuttles are equipped with bike racks to accommodate bicyclists, the Port Authority said.

No shuttle service is currently planned Monday through Thursday, but spokesperson Chris Valens said the Port Authority would “play it by ear” and “continue to adapt as needed” to avoid issues with the public.

The walkway was closed on Aug. 5, as construction crews began to install temporary standpipes and other fire safety equipment needed for the construction on the bridge, which is scheduled to begin in November.

The construction will raise the roadway 64 feet in order to accommodate the larger container ships that will be making their way to the ports in Elizabeth, Newark and Staten Island after the Panama Canal is widened in 2015. The cost of the project is pegged at $1.3 billion.

When completed, the Bayonne Bridge roadway will also include an expanded, 12-foot walkway for shared use by pedestrians and bicyclists, the Port Authority said.

The hot line the Port Authority has created for information about the bridge-raising project can be reached at (855) 265 5482. For more information, visit www.panynj.gov/bayonnebridge.

Read the full article at http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/08/port_authority_to_offer_weeken.html

These buses will likely be operated by Academy/Number 22 Hillside using NJT NABIs, unless they put bike racks on the ex-Rutgers Nova RTS/LFS buses. So, look forward to seeing NJ NABIs on Staten Island.

Gonna be tricky especially on the island side, in front of the administration building/PAPD precinct.

Solution:

iphone_guit_spy.jpg

SpyPhoto is not just your usual camera tweak. As the name suggests, SpyPhoto is a specially designed jailbreak app that will enable Apple iOS device (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch) users to take photographs secretly, no shutter sound and flashes will be made. But aside from taking photos silently, the main feature of the app is the speed with which it can take photos, and how it takes them.

http://icellbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/12/spyphoto-jailbreak-app-allows-ios.html

I just flip the silent switch, turn flash off be discreet and hope for the best. Course they've caught me doing that, and here they might be standing by watching/dispatching the buses.

Should mention, for everyone heading out there, photography and videotaping are STRICTLY PROHIBITED on Port Authority Bridges & Tunnels. Filming inside the bus shouldn't be an issue, but seeing that the buses (on SI) pick up in front of a PA Police precinct on a bridge entrance ramp you might run into some issues with the PAPD. They take it EXTREMELY seriously on the bridges and tunnels, from what I hear more so than the airports and PATH, so be VERY careful.

Should mention, for everyone heading out there, photography and videotaping are STRICTLY PROHIBITED on Port Authority Bridges & Tunnels. Filming inside the bus shouldn't be an issue, but seeing that the buses (on SI) pick up in front of a PA Police precinct on a bridge entrance ramp you might run into some issues with the PAPD. They take it EXTREMELY seriously on the bridges and tunnels, from what I hear more so than the airports and PATH, so be VERY careful.

I don't know what the official rule is, but the last time I walked across the GWB, many if not most of the pedestrians were taking lots and lots of pictures, and nobody batted an eyelash.

In any case, the Port Authority can only establish rules that apply on Port Authority land. As long as you are standing on public (city) land, you can take all the pictures you like of buses (and bridges).

I don't know what the official rule is, but the last time I walked across the GWB, many if not most of the pedestrians were taking lots and lots of pictures, and nobody batted an eyelash.

In any case, the Port Authority can only establish rules that apply on Port Authority land. As long as you are standing on public (city) land, you can take all the pictures you like of buses (and bridges).

There are "USE OF CAMERAS STRICTLY PROHIBITED" signs in front of every PA crossing. Maybe it doesn't apply on pedestrian walkways, I don't know.

Also just realized that the perfect spot to get pictures is at Morningstar Road and Walker Street, the buses (coming from NJ) will be using the same exit ramp the S89 uses and will turn onto Walker to get to the PAPD/administration building. The administration building and that onramp are likely considered Port Authority property, and either way if you spook the PAPD they'll probably try to hold you for "investigation" since they make a big deal about photography no matter how legal it is. 

There are "USE OF CAMERAS STRICTLY PROHIBITED" signs in front of every PA crossing. Maybe it doesn't apply on pedestrian walkways, I don't know.

If that's actually the rule (and signs sometimes claim to prohibit activities that aren't actually prohibited!), it certainly applies on pedestrian walkways as well. That doesn't mean it's regularly enforced.

Also just realized that the perfect spot to get pictures is at Morningstar Road and Walker Street, the buses (coming from NJ) will be using the same exit ramp the S89 uses and will turn onto Walker to get to the PAPD/administration building. The administration building and that onramp are likely considered Port Authority property, and either way if you spook the PAPD they'll probably try to hold you for "investigation" since they make a big deal about photography no matter how legal it is. 

They didn't care in the slightest about the dozens of GWB pedestrians taking lots and lots of pictures.

The Bayonne Bridge Shuttle is neither a bus or even a minibus:

2lnuv5g.jpg

I'm not quite sure who operates the service, the gentleman driving the bus wore a TUCS shirt.

Also, I was the only one there from the Bayonne side; one bicyclist was awaiting at the New York side.

The bicycle rack is on the back.

Not much activity on the pedestrian walkway at this time.

The Bayonne Bridge Shuttle is neither a bus or even a minibus:

2lnuv5g.jpg

I'm not quite sure who operates the service, the gentleman driving the bus wore a TUCS shirt.

Also, I was the only one there from the Bayonne side; one bicyclist was awaiting at the New York side.

The bicycle rack is on the back.

Not much activity on the pedestrian walkway at this time.

TUCS is Port's cleaning company at the PABT. Guess they got them to run the vans here too.

Also that's kinda pathetic...

I meant to say van operator :P

Also, I found it quite convenient for my Sunday afternoon commute  :)

:njt: 10 (Kennedy & Montgomery to W, 4 St. ) (:35), PA Shuttle Bus (:10),  :nyct: s44/s59 to ETC (:30) (1:15 total)

vs.

PATH to WTC,  x17 or x1 or x10/s74 (1:45+ total)

I meant to say van operator :P

Also, I found it quite convenient for my Sunday afternoon commute   :)

:njt: 10 (Kennedy & Montgomery to W, 4 St. ) (:35), PA Shuttle Bus (:10),  :nyct: s44/s59 to ETC (:30) (1:15 total)

vs.

PATH to WTC,  x17 or x1 or x10/s74 (1:45+ total)

Van operator? TUCS is a cleaning company! The guy behind the wheel cleans the floors too!

Archived