"Blurred Lines" sets radio and sales records

JubaionBx12+SBS

and what was the controversy about anyways  i think it was about the video?

Hi there BreedekalbL. In regards to your question he just likes the song. In chat there was a debate about music and he posted a link on that song. I listened to it but I didn't like it.

The song has the "feel" of a Marvin Gaye song from back in the day. "Got to Give" it up was the side I'm thinking of. The style is similar for sure.

http://news.radio.com/2013/06/12/robin-thicke-on-his-first-no-1-blurred-lines-we-didnt-know-it-would-be-this-big/

When Robin Thicke went into the studio with Pharrell last summer, he just wanted to create a track that embodied the fun vibe of his favorite song of all time, Marvin Gaye‘s “Got To Give It Up”. An hour later, the duo came up with “Blurred Lines,” the song that would become Thicke’s first No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart as of this week.

He did sue Gaye's family and Bridgeport music for the following reason:

Many have noted the similarity between Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" and Robin Thicke's song-of-the-summer smash hit "Blurred Lines," and now Thicke has gone on the offensive to ensure that the sonic likeness of the two songs doesn't end up costing him any money.

The Hollywood Reporter broke the news late Thursday: Thicke, along with Pharrell Williams and T.I., filed a lawsuit against Gaye's family and Bridgeport Music. In the case, the trio of music makers say they have "the utmost respect for and admiration of Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic and their musical legacies," but must "reluctantly file this action in the face of multiple adverse claims from alleged successors in interest to those artists."

Gaye's family and Funkadelic (the relevant compositions of whom are owned by Bridgeport), have insisted that "Blurred Lines" is too similar to their original songs. Here's a bit of the tick-tock, courtesy of the Hollywood Reporter:

The suit claims the Gaye family is alleging that "Blurred Lines" and Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" "feel" or "sound" the same, and that the "Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre, as opposed to a specific work."

As for Funkadelic, there's said to be claimed similarity between Thicke's hit and Funakedlic's "Sexy Ways."

"But there are no similarities between plaintiffs' composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements," states the lawsuit. "Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else's composition

"Blurred Lines" is currently in its tenth week atop the Billboard Hot 100, making it summer's biggest song. The lawsuit, however, isn't the first controversy to hit the track — an earlier dust-up with critics who found the lyrics and x-rated music video to be misogynistic was eventually brushed aside by Thicke himself.

and what was the controversy about anyways  i think it was about the video?

Yep, it was the video.

Personally, I love the song. I've had it stuck in my heard for over 2 weeks since I first heard it. The video, though, is a bit rauchy.

That song sucks! shows how horrible music has become nowadays

90s rap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> today's.

I know right. Sick of hearing horrible music like that when I go to stores/malls.

That song sucks! shows how horrible music has become nowadays

90s rap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> today's.

Not to diss the OP, everyone has their tastes in music and it's cool. But I'm agreeing 100% on this one. Hip Hop from the 90's was what made hip hop, east coast and west coast alike. Back then the verses were better, the beats were better, the lyricists were not phony spewing nursery rhyme fairy tales on non issues I could care less about. The masterminds of rap pretty much always had truthful stories to tell about inner city life.

Not to diss the OP, everyone has their tastes in music and it's cool. But I'm agreeing 100% on this one. Hip Hop from the 90's was what made hip hop, east coast and west coast alike. Back then the verses were better, the beats were better, the lyricists were not phony spewing nursery rhyme fairy tales on non issues I could care less about. The masterminds of rap pretty much always had truthful stories to tell about inner city life.

It really depends on who we're talking bout here - keep in mind that the '90s gave us 'Ice Ice Baby' and 'Good Vibrations'. Nowadays, although rap has seriously declined in quality (Lil Wayne and Pitbull are just no-go areas, Jay-Z lost his touch the moment Blue Ivy was born, and every third female artist and Justin Bieber has attempted to rap), there are still good artists here and there (Missy Eliot and Eminem are still producing things with actual meaningful lyrics).

If all else fails, the UK, Latin America, and Africa have some seriously talented rappers (and I'm not going to go into the Asian scene because their rap is just a completely different animal)

Archived