Lots of R46 F trains in Rotation

Culver Lcl

img_95133.jpg

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?95133

Pic taken by a photographer in 2009. Remember those days. R46 put ins on the (E) along with the then usual R32s back then before the R160's were reassigned to the QBL after the 30 day tests on the (A) failed. Ain't happening now. Or could it, in the near future ? Never know....

Now that's more like it. Never liked R32s on the (E). All it's missing here is the blue stripe, the old (E) bullet, and the strip map on the inside

Now that's more like it. Never liked R32s on the (E). All it's missing here is the blue stripe, the old (E) bullet, and the strip map on the inside

I loved having the R32s on the (E). I remember the (E) being almost entirely R32s. To me the R32s belong to the (E). It was the line they were supposed to be on.

R46's seem to run on the (F) every other train.

I've seen two R160s in a row.

IMO honestly the R32s belong to either the (A) or (F). Despite the timers, the (A) has a large express run on Central Park West, 8 Avenue and Fulton Street and fantastic views across Jamaica Bay and through the Rockaways. The (F) offers nice views along the Culver Line (outdoor portion).

The (C) and (E) both played great host of the Budd cars. I ain't gonna lie there.

I loved having the R32s on the (E). I remember the (E) being almost entirely R32s. To me the R32s belong to the (E). It was the line they were supposed to be on.

I've seen two R160s in a row.

Lol not me I hated them old loud shits. Everytime I took the (E) back then I use to hope to catch an R46 and I took it a few times. My first (E) train ride in 01 and a few times after that in the same year and in 2008 right before it got R42s

R46's seem to run on the (F) every other train.

If it seems that way that's not the intention.  The dispatcher doesn't care how many consecutive R46's there are, how many consecutive R160's there are or any combination thereof.  He has intervals to make service.  He has to keep track of what trains need to go to Jamaica yard for "attention".  He has to crew up trains.........

Lol not me I hated them old loud shits. Everytime I took the (E) back then I use to hope to catch an R46 and I took it a few times. My first (E) train ride in 01 and a few times after that in the same year and in 2008 right before it got R42s

And the NTTs are so much quieter, right?

Never said they were quiet the're just a litte bit more quiet on the inside and smoother. but I also wasn't a fan of the 32s cus it didnt show the blue (E) like the 46s did. 

The 32s have side signs.

Also, the R160s don't show the blue (E) anywhere. Neither does any NTT for that matter.

IMO honestly the R32s belong to either the (A) or (F). Despite the timers, the (A) has a large express run on Central Park West, 8 Avenue and Fulton Street and fantastic views across Jamaica Bay and through the Rockaways. The (F) offers nice views along the Culver Line (outdoor portion).

The (C) and (E) both played great host of the Budd cars. I ain't gonna lie there.

No the R32s don't belong to the (A) they were very few on the (A), they were mostly on the (C) and (E) with the rest being on the (A), (G),(R),(N) after GOH, the (F) have a few sets in 1991-1994 then again from 2001-2009 (they came from the (G) when it was shorten to 4 cars) after GOH the R32s made brief appearances on the (B),(D),(Q),(W) and also on the (M) in the early 90's and 2001, also with 207th's shitty maintenance and constant complaints the R32's are rumored to go elsewhere, just because the (A) is the longest line doesn't mean it should have the oldest equipment, if anything the (A) should have R160s with 1/4th of it being R32s instead of R46s

That took me by surprise because the R44s on the MTA SIR are usually sent to CI yard for heavy maintenance. So I guess it's the 207th Street shops that does the dirty work on the MTA Subways R46's, and Jamaica Yard that does usual inspections and light maintenance:

There are three distinct facilities with similar names.

Coney Island Yard is a storage facility, not a maintenance facility of any sort. It stores trains. That's it.

Coney Island Maintenance Shop is responsible for everyday maintenance and scheduled inspections of the R160's, R68's, and R68A's assigned to the B, G, N, Q, and Franklin shuttle. It also, apparently, helps out on the R during the week. There haven't been any R46's assigned to Coney Island in decades.

Coney Island Overhaul Shop is responsible for major overhaul work - SMS and the like - on all B Division cars. (I think the Corona fleet also has its SMS work at Coney Island Overhaul Shop - can anyone confirm?)

The 46s should be on the (E) . Im kinda tired of seeing them on the (F). But the (E) riders just gonna PMS about it so that can never happen .

The R46's have 32 doors per train on each side. The R160's have 40 doors per train on each side. Since ridership on the E is very heavy, 40-door trains are typically assigned to the line, to keep dwell times down. Since the early 90's, the E ran almost exclusively R32's, then R42's for a short period during the R160's phase-in, and now R160's. Don't expect to see R46's on a regular basis. (Of course, in a pinch, R46's can run on the line.)

Contrary to popular belief, NYCT doesn't assign cars based on who they expect to complain. (The overwhelming majority of riders don't care one way or the other, as long as the car is air conditioned and reliably gets them where they're going.)

(The overwhelming majority of riders don't care one way or the other, as long as the car is air conditioned and reliably gets them where they're going.)

And to make up for that, the rest of them complain 3x times as much! :P

That tidbit about the overhaul shop is interesting, though - where do the A division cars get sent for overhauls (minor the Corona ones)? 207?

Archived