7 Line Extension 90 Percent Complete

GojiMet86

Bla bla bla. Just face the fact: in Europe transit things also happen at a much slower pace (yes, we also have NIMBY's and slow-ass planners over here!) than 100 years ago. Only in Asia transit things happen fast atm.

By Asia, you mean China. South Korea, Japan, the Phillipines, Thailand, and India usually only open rail lines once every couple years. (Actually, India, the Phillipines  and Thailand have a very bad habit of proposing metro systems for its cities, only to have them thrown out by the next government in Mumbai or Bangkok.) Tokyo Metro, one of the two companies operating the "Tokyo Subway", has gone so far as to say that they will never construct another subway line due to cost.

Fast metro expansion also isn't limited to China - Madrid and Barcelona have undergone extremely ambitious transit expansions, and France is doing that whole 150km Grand Paris Express project. China only gets away with it because it literally has trillions to spend, and because it doesn't ask people whether they want the subway project to destroy their houses.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But do you know how long that took to plan and build in Europe? Waaaay longer than 100 years ago. And that's what I'm after. I'm NOT saying expansions don't happen (even here in my country there are expansions done or being done), I'm just saying that compared to 100 years ago it's moving at a slower pace. Both the planning and the building. Just like in the USA.

Here's the thing besides the problems with funding: Compared to 100 years ago, the contractors did not have to worry as much about electrical utility line, water pipe and gas relocation neither do they have to worry as much as securing building foundations as compared to now say with the SAS another example. Plus they had to break through the IND lower level while securing the IND 8th Ave in revenue part of the station above the defunct lower level.   Now the structures underground is much more complicated, making utility relocation an audacious task. And that despite the double boring machines used for efficient and quick tunneling through. My take on it from my limited understanding on civil engineering.

* Double boring TBM'S to be clear.....

Indeed. I guess that's the thing in both the USA and Europe: 100 years ago there were less things to worry about, there weren't a gazillion executives who all needed to give their (sometimes stupid) input and there was less paperwork and stuff. That's why everything rose from the ground (or under the ground lol) back then.

Kudos To MTA For This Project But On The Real Tho...7 Years For 1.5 Miles Of Track Is Rediculous In my Opinion...Thas A Long Time for such a short route not to Mention They Didnt Build The Extra Stop at 10th Avenue As The Community Had Wanted...But it is wat it is...I Hope The West Side Becomes The Future Metropolis That its slated to be!!!!

Kudos To MTA For This Project But On The Real Tho...7 Years For 1.5 Miles Of Track Is Rediculous In my Opinion...Thas A Long Time for such a short route not to Mention They Didnt Build The Extra Stop at 10th Avenue As The Community Had Wanted...But it is wat it is...I Hope The West Side Becomes The Future Metropolis That its slated to be!!!!

Go complain to the state for not having a stop at 10th Ave. (MTA) has money problems enough as is, its the state that wouldnt fund 10th Ave.

Go complain to the state for not having a stop at 10th Ave. (MTA) has money problems enough as is, its the state that wouldnt fund 10th Ave.

It's actually completely city funded, because the 7 Line Extension is a giant project that feeds Bloomberg's ego. Hey, if he couldn't have the 2012 New York Olympics, he can at least have a train line and a bunch of offices as his legacy.

Damn, I was thinking that this will be completed in 2016, but by June of 2014. Damn, its 2 years ahead of schedule. I think by the time the extension opens, most of the R188's will be on the (7) ready to go.

All 380 R188s are scheduled to be on flushing by late next year-before summer of 2015 but the (7) wont run cbtc till 2016.

What we should really do is expand the (D) across Burke Ave, and then to the end of Gun Hill Rd, so that we can have a (D) from Stillwell Ave (Bronx) to Stillwell Ave (Brooklyn)!

LMAO.

Oh yeah, lets not forget to extend the (5) to Co-Op City while were at it.

Nobody approved any extension of the 7 line into New Jersey. It was an idea floated around by Governor Christie and Mike Bloomberg after the ARC Tunnel (for Amtrak and NJ Transit) proposal fell through. Nobody with a brain stem actually took the subway extension idea all that seriously.

Nobody approved any extension of the 7 line into New Jersey. It was an idea floated around by Governor Christie and Mike Bloomberg after the ARC Tunnel (for Amtrak and NJ Transit) proposal fell through. Nobody with a brain stem actually took the subway extension idea all that seriously.

And aside from that: they wouldn't be able to fund it anyway. If they were able to, then they also would've been able to fund 10th Ave Station even if only a shell or the rest of SAS or a subway to SI for that matter. But they can't even fund those things, let alone some crazy extension to NJ.

And aside from that: they wouldn't be able to fund it anyway. If they were able to, then they also would've been able to fund 10th Ave Station even if only a shell or the rest of SAS or a subway to SI for that matter. But they can't even fund those things, let alone some crazy extension to NJ.

Which is redundant to the NJT rail.

Mike Bloomberg specifically, with the objective of promoting the Hudson Yards development by making it more accessible from New Jersey.

Mike Bloomberg specifically, with the objective of promoting the Hudson Yards development by making it more accessible from New Jersey.

If I remember correctly, Chris Christie's reaction was something between 'as long as we're not the only ones paying for it' and 'I'll believe it when I see it.'

• 2 weeks later...

Archived