You Never Knew?

Yeah it's on the West Side of Manhattan, the segment of the line that used to run from Mott Haven to New Rochelle took place in 1971 with the Amtrak takeover, extending a New York to Buffalo run to Chicago, naming it the Lake Shore line. They abandoned several portions of the old lines to accomidate the new route change from here all the way to Chicago where more abandoned portions can be found. I'm bit rusty on Amtrak historical facts admittably but that that's how it should work.

+1 Daniel for the find.

@Realizm and Gordon You're both right.

My mom's house was like 4 blocks away (63rd Street West End Avenue) back then from 1996-2004. There's so much history behind this area. I used to play basketball and stuff when I was living in the area (They still have original basketball hoops)

Speaking of Amtrak and the west side, I thought that a 79th Street Station station was discussed. In my opinion, The upper west side just is too peaceful for a noisy high-speed railroad. I mean like at riverside drive. Then again, 79 Street is a big highway entrance, so we'll see... Though it might be underground... :)

(1)  (2)  (3) IRT West Side Line

Speaking of Amtrak and the west side, I thought that a 79th Street Station station was discussed. In my opinion, The upper west side just is too peaceful for a noisy high-speed railroad. I mean like at riverside drive. Then again, 79 Street is a big highway entrance, so we'll see... Though it might be underground... :)

(1)  (2)  (3) IRT West Side Line

The MTA wanted to put a station at 70th-72nd and not 79th. This was for the proposed Penn Station access project that the had Metro North trains running off of the Hudson line via the Amtrak's Empire corridor and into Penn Station. This project will never see the light of day until Penn Station gets added tracks to actually platform those extra trains.

The MTA wanted to put a station at 70th-72nd and not 79th. This was for the proposed Penn Station access project that the had Metro North trains running off of the Hudson line via the Amtrak's Empire corridor and into Penn Station. This project will never see the light of day until Penn Station gets added tracks to actually platform those extra trains.

It will but its 15-20 years down the road.

Archived