A few Hippo facts and SMEE.....

DOB2RTO

Thats great info. Thanks for posting that up.

Now those who wanted to know what SMEE really was, have that, and the fact is the Heepos are slowest, but under certain conditions. A heepo vs. all others on a downgrade, well the heavier train will roll alot faster......Heepos win!!!!!

How come this time you called the R32-R42 and redbirds SMEE's intead of "rust buckets"? Anyways maybe that book is talking about 0 to 15 accelation? But overall all subway cars can reach the same top speed?? And the MTA made the 68/A's slower in the mid 90's after that crash on the (J) line. Ive heard before that the 68's could go up to 70 MPH in some underwater tunnels.

Does that book say whats the fastest SMEE's?

Im shocked the MTA calls the redbirds redbirds, i thought they would called them by their R conract number.

How come this time you called the R32-R42 and redbirds SMEE's intead of "rust buckets"? Anyways maybe that book is talking about 0 to 15 accelation? But overall all subway cars can reach the same top speed?? And the MTA made the 68/A's slower in the mid 90's after that crash on the (J) line. Ive heard before that the 68's could go up to 70 MPH in some underwater tunnels.

Does that book say whats the fastest SMEE's?

Im shocked the MTA calls the redbirds redbirds, i thought they would called them by their R conract number.

If you read correctly it said, the R68 and R68A, are slowest with acceleration, due to their weight. Nothing is noted about top speed.

As for the rust buckets thing, I didn't feel in the mood to insult and hurt the feelings of the rust buckets then. Speaking of which, I wonder why there were 6 R32s in Concourse yard today, with E signs........

I'm also surprised they refer to the R40M as a separate class.

Hey, I though the R40s (Slants), were suppose to be in a seperate class, due to their high like-ability by alot on the boards. Due to this, the R40M should be seperate, due to its under-apprecitation.......

As for the rust buckets thing, I didn't feel in the mood to insult and hurt the feelings of the rust buckets then. Speaking of which, I wonder why there were 6 R32s in Concourse yard today, with E signs........

Are they normally not in that yard or something??

I'm also surprised they refer to the R40M as a separate class.

Those aren't official terms. Those are popular nicknames that the (MTA) apparently likes as well. But the (MTA) do call them by their contract numbers for a few reasons.

Simply because there are many classes of Redbirds: R26, R28, R29, R33, R33WF, R36, and R36WF. "Redbirds" is an umbrella term used to refer to all these classes at once.

Also the official terms for the R40 classes are R40 and R40A. The R40A consist of the last 100 slants and the R40M. R40M has never been an official designation, but is commonly used to differentiate them from the slants.

If you read correctly it said, the R68 and R68A, are slowest with acceleration, due to their weight. Nothing is noted about top speed.

Good catch. They were up there Monday as well but I forgot to post. There were 4 or 5 sets South of the over pass, didn't look North of it. Also was a single married pair coupled to the 2 work cars on the West most tks before the connector to the (4) line.

Hmmmmmmmm....:cool:

Good catch. They were up there Monday as well but I forgot to post. There were 4 or 5 sets South of the over pass, didn't look North of it. Also was a single married pair coupled to the 2 work cars on the West most tks before the connector to the (4) line.

Hmmmmmmmm....:cool:

are they waiting to be shipped to the death yard or just sitting there? cuz, concourse rarely does 32s...

Nope. R32s at Concourse is a rare sight.

I also question whats it doing there. Unless it wasn't allowed access to 207th Street yard and will get moved later on. R32s still gotta load up on the barge o death.....

I hope you know I meant 6 trainsets of R32s, not 6 cars. I would have snapped a pic with the camera phone, but can't do that while learning.....

Archived