Brooklyn Northern Proposal

Micstromme

If I was the power that be, this is how I would divide the Flatbush Depot and the other depots in Brooklyn:

Flatbush Avenue Depot: B2, B3 (s/w Ulmer Park),B7 (s/w East New York), B9 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B31, B41, B44 (s/w Fresh Pond), B46, B47 (s/w Grand Avenue and East New York), B49, B51 (s/w Jackie Gleason and Grand Avenue)

East New York Depot: B6 (s/w Ulmer Park), B7 (s/w Flatbush), B12, B13, B14, B15 (s/w Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue), B17, B20 (s/w Fresh Pond), B25, B42, B45 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B65 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B82 (s/w Ulmer Park), B83, Q24, Q56

Fresh Pond Depot: B20 (s/w East New York), B26, B38, B39 (s/w Grand Avenue), B44 (s/w Flatbush), B52, B54, Q54, Q55, Q58

Jackie Gleason Depot: B1 (s/w Ulmer Park), B4 (s/w Ulmer PARK), B8 (s/w East New York), B9 (s/w with Flatbush), B11 , B16 (s/w Ulmer Park), B23, B35, B37, B45 (s/w East New York), B51 (s/w Flatbush and Grand Avenue), B63, B64, B65 (s/w East New York), B67, B68, B69, B70, B71, B75, B77

Ulmer Park Depot: B1, B4 (s/w Jackie Gleaason), B3 (s/w Flatbush), B6 (s/w East New York), B11 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B36, B74, B82 (s/w East New York), x25, x27/37, x28/38, x29

Grand Avenue (Maspeth) Depot: B15 (s/w East New York), B24, B39 (s/w Fresh Pond), B43, B47 (s/w East New York and Flatbush), B48, B51 (s/w Flatbush and Jackie Gleason), B57, B60, B61 (s/w Jackie Gleason), Q59

As usual, do feel free to comment and/or add to what's here.

If I was the power that be, this is how I would divide the Flatbush Depot and the other depots in Brooklyn:

Flatbush Avenue Depot: B2, B3 (s/w Ulmer Park),B7 (s/w East New York), B9 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B31, B41, B44 (s/w Fresh Pond), B46, B47 (s/w Grand Avenue and East New York), B49, B51 (s/w Jackie Gleason and Grand Avenue)

East New York Depot: B6 (s/w Ulmer Park), B7 (s/w Flatbush), B12, B13, B14, B15 (s/w Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue), B17, B20 (s/w Fresh Pond), B25, B42, B45 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B65 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B82 (s/w Ulmer Park), B83, Q24, Q56

Fresh Pond Depot: B20 (s/w East New York), B26, B38, B39 (s/w Grand Avenue), B44 (s/w Flatbush), B52, B54, Q54, Q55, Q58

Jackie Gleason Depot: B1 (s/w Ulmer Park), B4 (s/w Ulmer PARK), B8 (s/w East New York), B9 (s/w with Flatbush), B11 , B16 (s/w Ulmer Park), B23, B35, B37, B45 (s/w East New York), B51 (s/w Flatbush and Grand Avenue), B63, B64, B65 (s/w East New York), B67, B68, B69, B70, B71, B75, B77

Ulmer Park Depot: B1, B4 (s/w Jackie Gleaason), B3 (s/w Flatbush), B6 (s/w East New York), B11 (s/w Jackie Gleason), B36, B74, B82 (s/w East New York), x25, x27/37, x28/38, x29

Grand Avenue (Maspeth) Depot: B15 (s/w East New York), B24, B39 (s/w Fresh Pond), B43, B47 (s/w East New York and Flatbush), B48, B51 (s/w Flatbush and Jackie Gleason), B57, B60, B61 (s/w Jackie Gleason), Q59

Yes those would be splendid ideas. But Ulmer isn't ready to handle b82.

Yes those would be splendid ideas. But Ulmer isn't ready to handle b82.

Didn't Ulmer Park handle B82 full time before? The B82 came from two routes and one of them was with the Ulmer Park Depot, correct me should I have this wrong.

I'm sorry I'm going to disagree with you some things on here. B51 don't need to be split with the Jackie Gleason, neither does the B45, B65, B4. The B44 is really good with Flatbush, B45 and B65 is good with East New York. I don't know if the B4 is still with Ulmer Park, I really hope it is. I'm not to fond with Grand Avenue right now but I guess the B51 is doing alright with them. the B15 is already a horrible bus route Fresh Pond don't there buses on that route. IMO I think the B35 needs to return back to Flatbush.....also the B8 needs to return to East New York, it was better with them!

I'm sorry I'm going to disagree with you some things on here. B51 don't need to be split with the Jackie Gleason, neither does the B45, B65, B4. The B44 is really good with Flatbush, B45 and B65 is good with East New York. I don't know if the B4 is still with Ulmer Park, I really hope it is. I'm not to fond with Grand Avenue right now but I guess the B51 is doing alright with them. the B15 is already a horrible bus route Fresh Pond don't there buses on that route. IMO I think the B35 needs to return back to Flatbush, it was better with them!
You just don't like CNG, this is busism! :P

I agree with his post fully!

Few things I disagree with

The B51 doesnt need to be split into all those depots. Its fine the way it is, and only like 4-5 buses fill that line.

Putting the B44 in fresh pond no good as its nowhere close to its routes, therefore should remain in Flatbush Depot. Splitting it wouldnt give it much help. Also, that bus runs very frequently (from what I've seen)

I'd post more if I had more knowledge of these brooklyn routes.

Didn't Ulmer Park handle B82 full time before? The B82 came from two routes and one of them was with the Ulmer Park Depot, correct me should I have this wrong.

The B82 Split was UP Trips only went to Rockaway Pkwy then back to Canel St i think it worked cause the AM Rush is Toward CI and PM Toward Spring Creek.

Yes Ulmer Park did have the B82

the B8 was out of Ulmer Park then went to East New York and is now at it's current home Jackie Gleason

I agree with some and disagree with others. I agree with the majority of the proposal, but I also have to agree with CurAke79 and Majinvegeta for the most part as well. The B4, 35, 44, 45, 51, and 65 need to stay as is. The B8 could be split between Gleason and East New York. As wierd as it may seem, the B39 is effective at Grand, Flatbush, and Fresh Pond.

B5(ENY)+B50(UPK)=B82. When they first combined the routes, and a for a while after, the B82 was split and each depot operated basicly the same portion of the route as they did before the change. Now it's all ENY, although I think it could work well if they went back to the split. But then again it really isn't needed because the 82 is a 24hr line. But I was also under the impression that Ulmer operates trippers on the B82. Is this not correct??? And if not, why do some of the trips end/begin in front of the Ulmer Park Depot??? I do know that there are school trippers as well between E22 St/Kings Hwy, and Coney Island. I think they are Flatbush runs.

I agree with some and disagree with others. I agree with the majority of the proposal, but I also have to agree with CurAke79 and Majinvegeta for the most part as well. The B4, 35, 44, 45, 51, and 65 need to stay as is. The B8 could be split between Gleason and East New York. As wierd as it may seem, the B39 is effective at Grand, Flatbush, and Fresh Pond.

B5(ENY)+B50(UPK)=B82. When they first combined the routes, and a for a while after, the B82 was split and each depot operated basicly the same portion of the route as they did before the change. Now it's all ENY, although I think it could work well if they went back to the split. But then again it really isn't needed because the 82 is a 24hr line. But I was also under the impression that Ulmer operates trippers on the B82. Is this not correct??? And if not, why do some of the trips end/begin in front of the Ulmer Park Depot??? I do know that there are school trippers as well between E22 St/Kings Hwy, and Coney Island. I think they are Flatbush runs.

that's what i thought first. but soon i realizes that the buses the end/begin in front of ulmer are ENY. every once in a while do they sent out a bus from UP to operate as extra serivce on the B82.

They should have the B1 out of JG, the B8 split between ENY and UP, B82 split between ENY and UP, and B68 out of UP. they should also send B36 over to Flatbush.

i Think it Would Help the B82 if its Split since the 25Av/Harway Trips Stop right in Front of UP.u Can have ENY do the Full SCT to Coney island and UP does SCT to 25 Av Trips with UP having no Trips @ night send all B82's to CI.

Some of the changes make sense. For example, the B8 should be split with the Jackie Gleason Depot because it does not make sense for a bus of that kind of pull to travel so far into a foreign territory and have absolutely no affiliation with said resident depot.

If the B8 did switch from Ulmer Park to East New York Depot, then they should have skipped the middle man and just sent it to Jackie Gleason although it is currently the powerhouse of the entire borough of Brooklyn.

Another thing, perhaps the B44 and its Limited counterpart could be helped at the very least with some rush hour trips. The accessability on those buses between the hours of 6:00-10:00AM and 3:30-7:30PM is absolutely ridiculous. Let the trips run off of the B38 or even the B54 as they are closest to the Nostrand Avenue Routes.

The B51 could do just as the B39. There is no need for three depots to fight over that dumb ass route that does not even require Low Floor Technology. The B51 could acquire a CNG from Gleason (an Orion VII, of course), an RTS from Flatbush and a LED from the East New York Depot.

There are others, I know but I cannot get myself to do anything about that right now.

Please do not make a comment to what I just posted here.

Thank you for riding with MTA NYC Transit.

Another thing, perhaps the B44 and its Limited counterpart could be helped at the very least with some rush hour trips. The accessability on those buses between the hours of 6:00-10:00AM and 3:30-7:30PM is absolutely ridiculous. Let the trips run off of the B38 or even the B54 as they are closest to the Nostrand Avenue Routes.

The B51 could do just as the B39. There is no need for three depots to fight over that dumb ass route that does not even require Low Floor Technology. The B51 could acquire a CNG from Gleason (an Orion VII, of course), an RTS from Flatbush and a LED from the East New York Depot.

Logistically, it does not make sence to do a run-off of the B38 or 54 to the 44. That would mean the buses would end at Nostrand, and as a former daily rider of the B54, that would be a horrible idea! Everyone would have to get off at the point and wait on another bus. The accessability of the 44 is bad due to traffic. There are nearly 40 buses on the 44/44LTD during rush. Adding more won't necessarily help out.

The B39 and B51 differ because the 39 is a 24 hr line, and the 51 does not have enough runs to justify it running out of another depot. Grand Av alone, is more than sufficient for the B51. You're reading into it a little deeper than need be.

The B3 is fine with UP depot, i don't think it needs to be siplt with flatbush.

B44 is fine with flatbush

B15 agreed

B17 fine with ENY

I think the B82 should be spilt with Spring creek depot.

The only reason that I suggest that they split the B15 three ways is because the route really blows right now. The B15 use to run out of East New York and they did not hold up their end of the bargain with the veteran route. Fresh Pond could add at least five extra runs that serve between Postal Facility and Woodhull Hospital, in both directions. East New York can come in from Penn Ave/New Lots like it use to do and serve throughout the point of Postal Facility; finally Grand Avenue can just worry about the entire route per Bed-Stuy to JFK Airport, not via Postal Facility. This should really be the case during rush hours.

Another thing that would be interesting would be the B45 and B65 do special trips out of Gleason. I really liked the B65 running out of Gleason for all those years. I always looked at those two routes as "Partners in Crime" since they both serve mostly the same areas and they come into contact with each other three times throughout the route.

There really is nothing wrong with the B61 but because the realms of their service enters into Red Hook, it makes sense that JG would like to keep a portion of this route, atleast during rush hours anyway.

As for my thoughts on the B51, I mentioned somewhere on this forum about my idea to expand both service and reliability of the routes. It should be extended to Atlantic Terminal and moved to weekends (Saturdays, No Sundays), and the hours should be from 5Am to Midnight.

What do you mean?

Simply put, East New York was no better at doing with the B15 what Grand Avenue did to it. Service did not get worse. If anything, no virtual change occurred during the transmission of change.

The B15 is just as bad where service is concerned as it ever was.

Archived