Fast-food workers begin strikes across U.S. over wages

Via Garibaldi 8

Fast-food workers begin strikes across U.S. over wageselated Video

By Atossa Araxia Abrahamian

NEW YORK | Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10pm EDT

(Reuters) - Fast-food workers staged strikes at McDonald's and Burger Kings and demonstrated at other stores in sixty U.S. cities on Thursday in their latest action in a nearly year-long campaign to raise wages in the service sector.

The strikes spread quickly across the country and have shut down restaurants in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Raleigh and Seattle, according to organizers.

The fast-food workers were expected to be joined by retail staff from stores owned by Macy's Inc, Sears Holdings Corp and Dollar Tree Inc.

The fast-food workers want to form unions in the virtually union-free sector without employer retaliation and bargain for higher wages.

They are demanding pay of $15 an hour, up from $7.25, which is the current federal minimum wage.

Martin Rafanan, a community organizer in St. Louis, said local employees of McDonald's and Wendy's can't make it on the salaries.

"If you're paying $7.35 an hour and employing someone for 20, 25 hours a week, which is the average here, they're bringing home about $10,000 a year. You can't survive on that." Rafanan said. Missouri's minimum wage is $7.35 an hour.

"Unless we can figure out how to make highly profitable companies pay a fair wage to their workers, we're just going to watch them pull all the blood, sweat, tears and money out of our communities."

McDonald's profits totaled $5.47 billion in 2012.

MOMENTUM BUILDING

Momentum has been building in recent months, organizers say, as they receive financial and technical support from the Service Employees International Union, community activists, politicians and the clergy.

Last November, some 200 workers walked off their fast-food jobs in New York City. Groups in Chicago, Kansas City, Detroit and other cities followed their lead in April and July.

The $200 billion U.S. fast-food sector as well as retail sales and food preparation have been under the spotlight because they have added most of the jobs, in many cases lower-paying and part time, since the recession.

Restaurant chains and trade groups say the protests are unwarranted because fast-food and retail outlets provide Americans with millions of good jobs with competitive pay and ample opportunities to rise through the ranks.

"Our history is full of examples of individuals who worked their first job with McDonald's and went on to successful careers both within and outside of McDonald's," McDonald's said in a statement.

Wendy's and Burger King did not respond to requests for comment.

The restaurant chains have not changed their wage policies as a result of recent strikes.

The National Retail Federation said in a statement the strikes are "further proof that the labor movement (has) abdicated their role in an honest and rational discussion about the American workforce."

And in the Wall Street Journal on Thursday, the conservative Employment Policies Institute ran a full-page ad with a picture of a robot making pancakes, warning that higher wages would mean "fewer entry-level jobs and more automated alternatives."

"You can either raise prices and lose customers, or (automate) those jobs," said Michael Saltsman, EPI's research director, adding that "the idea that restaurants are rolling in the money is not representative of the situation franchisees face."

The median wage for front-line fast-food workers is $8.94 per hour, according to an analysis of government data by the National Employment Law Project (NELP), an advocacy group for lower-wage workers.

"The workers are responding to total failure on behalf of the federal government to raise the minimum wage to keep up with inflation and the cost of living," said Tsedeye Gebreselassie, an attorney at the NELP, referring to the strikes.

The walkouts, coming before the U.S. Labor Day holiday on Monday, also took place in the Southern states of Texas, Louisiana, and North Carolina.

Dorian Warren, an assistant professor of political science at Columbia University who has published work on labor organizing and inequality, said the significance of protests in the South is "a huge, huge deal."

"The South has always been the model for low wage employment, from slavery to the Jim Crow laws, to the present. It's also the most anti-union part of the country, so the fact that workers feel empowered enough to take collective action is enormous," Warren said.

(Reporting By Atossa Araxia Abrahamian; Editing by Andre Grenon and Jeffrey Benkoe)

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/29/us-usa-restaurants-strike-idUSBRE97S05320130829

I think this is a joke.  They want $15.00 an hour to flip friggin' burgers AND benefits AND the ability to form a union?!? Get out of here!  There is no skill or thought required in these types of jobs and that's why they pay what they pay.  These people are trying to support a family on a fast-food wage and they wonder why they can't survive!  I mean really, these types of jobs are for youngsters or part-timers looking to supplement their income, not grown men and women.

Furthermore, the majority of these folks have no sort of people skills or manners no matter what they are paid.  Even in Whole Foods, most of the workers are rude with an attitude and there they actually make a decent buck considering what they do.  This is certainly a generational thing because when I was growing up, no one would dare strike over getting  a higher wage working at a fast food joint.

This is how I view it. I understand that many of these workers face various issues daily on the job, whether they originate from management, coworkers, or even guests, and as such I can see why they would use that as justification for a higher wage. However being that most of these positions are entry level there isn't much room for advancement in those particular positions. On the flipside though higher management positions pay a semi decent wage, and considering how generally easy internal advancement is in fast food there really shouldn't a issue with advance up the ladder, unless issue lies within the individual.

And furthermore, at this point in time I'd argue everyone should look out for themselves. I'm unemployed at the moment and can't even collect any benefits even if I wanted to due to the short span of employment given. If workers walk off in masses I'll be one of the first few people to go and get these damn jobs. I'd be grateful as hell.

When you're earning nothing in comparison $8.XX sound f**king good to me.

This is how I view it. I understand that many of these workers face various issues daily on the job, whether they originate from management, coworkers, or even guests, and as such I can see why they would use that as justification for a higher wage. However being that most of these positions are entry level there isn't much room for advancement in those particular positions. On the flipside though higher management positions pay a semi decent wage, and considering how generally easy internal advancement is in fast food there really shouldn't a issue with advance up the ladder, unless issue lies within the individual.

And furthermore, at this point in time I'd argue everyone should look out for themselves. I'm unemployed at the moment and can't even collect any benefits even if I wanted to due to the short span of employment given. If workers walk off in masses I'll be one of the first few people to go and get these damn jobs. I'd be grateful as hell.

When you're earning nothing in comparison $8.XX sound f**king good to me.

These workers can't seriously think that having the wages go up isn't going to effect anyone else. I think they're thinking is that these corporations are raking in big money so they should get some of the crumbs, but they're doing so particularly due to the low prices at these establishments.  I don't see a place like McDonald's having a $1.00 menu while maintaining $15/hr wages, plus benefits and so on.  It's just not economically feasible and they would be forced to raise prices on consumers, some of whom surely would go elsewhere for their food. I mean the more you pay the more you're going to expect in terms of quality, not only with the food but the whole experience so that's something they need to think about as well.  They would be expected to do more and handle more responsibilities making $15.00/hr because at that rate they wouldn't be able to hire as many workers.

Hm, looks like this is much bigger than I thought... All the power to them.

Being a wage-slave is starting to wear thinly on people...

^^^^^^^

I'll start there in this discussion. Sweet simple and straight to the point.

These workers can't seriously think that having the wages go up isn't going to effect anyone else. I think they're thinking is that these corporations are raking in big money so they should get some of the crumbs, but they're doing so particularly due to the low prices at these establishments.  I don't see a place like McDonald's having a $1.00 menu while maintaining $15/hr wages, plus benefits and so on.  It's just not economically feasible and they would be forced to raise prices on consumers, some of whom surely would go elsewhere for their food. I mean the more you pay the more you're going to expect in terms of quality, not only with the food but the whole experience so that's something they need to think about as well.  They would be expected to do more and handle more responsibilities making $15.00/hr because at that rate they wouldn't be able to hire as many workers.

The big picture is a nationwide capitalistic meltdown. That's why you are reading what you are reading in the article chief. This is already sounding to be like yet another debate of the rich vs the poor working class. I'll be more than happy to discuss this with you until, the thread gets locked because really you'll never get it, take that as a non offensive piece of constructive criticism.

Feel free to respond.

$15 for a unskilled job is ridiculous.

I think this is a joke.  They want $15.00 an hour to flip friggin' burgers AND benefits AND the ability to form a union?!? Get out of here!  There is no skill or thought required in these types of jobs and that's why they pay what they pay.  These people are trying to support a family on a fast-food wage and they wonder why they can't survive!  I mean really, these types of jobs are for youngsters or part-timers looking to supplement their income, not grown men and women.

Furthermore, the majority of these folks have no sort of people skills or manners no matter what they are paid.  Even in Whole Foods, most of the workers are rude with an attitude and there they actually make a decent buck considering what they do.  This is certainly a generational thing because when I was growing up, no one would dare strike over getting  a higher wage working at a fast food joint.

I highly doubt $15 is the end amount they want, but they're starting with a high demand and will probably work down. But the facts are such: the current minimum wage is too low, and every worker deserves to be in a union. I'm going to go ahead and ignore the other elitist comments that these jobs aren't for grownups and the bizarre and unrelated anecdotes thrown in.

Hm, looks like this is much bigger than I thought... All the power to them.

Being a wage-slave is starting to wear thinly on people...

^^^^^^^

I'll start there in this discussion. Sweet simple and straight to the point.

i actually agree with the same points

So this is how people are gonna get healthier after all.... Interesting.

Jokes aside, I'm not gonna waste too much energy talking about this....

Minimum wage being too low is one thing, trying to (FWIW) cash out from a low-skilled job is quite another....

Fast food companies start paying their employees significantly more like that & you'll see a directly proportional relationship with the rise in prices of their food also!

I would be offended at this if I was an entry-level, fresh out of college person that landed a position in my field that pays less than what these fast food workers are demanding pay of.....

$12 wouldn't be so bad, IMO $15 is just pushing it.

i actually agree 15 is pushing it but a wage increase is due on the minimum wage   and im suprised that people are so opposed to the movement giving the typical submissive answer go to school get a better job etc.

Not responding to anyone in particular, but I do agree the minimum wage should be raised moderately. The issue being that this would have to be done at the state level. As much as I'd like to see reform in that part of the sector it will not be an east task at all.

I highly doubt $15 is the end amount they want, but they're starting with a high demand and will probably work down. But the facts are such: the current minimum wage is too low, and every worker deserves to be in a union. I'm going to go ahead and ignore the other elitist comments that these jobs aren't for grownups and the bizarre and unrelated anecdotes thrown in.

Instead of complaining about not being paid enough for a low wage job, go out and get some friggin' skills and improve your education!  If they think $15 is what they should get with no skills, then what should someone with a degree with actual skills get?  Now I'm all for decent wages but this is ludicrous.   Every worker deserves to be in a union huh?  lol I guess you have some deep pockets for McDonald's then...  

We're turning into a society of kids that don't believe in hard work and think they should be getting paid top dollar with no skill set. It's very frightening.  In spite of the poor job market, there are actually plenty of high paying jobs out here, but the problem is they require people with higher education and skills to do them so they can't find qualified candidates. In fact, I'd say I'm against this strictly because this city has too many of these low paying service jobs and it's not doing New Yorkers any good to have more and more fast food joints with the garbage that they serve, so from my point of view, let them raise it to $20.00 if they want.  My money wouldn't go to support these types of places anyway.

Instead of complaining about not being paid enough for a low wage job, go out and get some friggin' skills and improve your education!  If they think $15 is what they should get with no skills, then what should someone with a degree with actual skills get?  Now I'm all for decent wages but this is ludicrous.  Every worker deserves to be in a union huh?  lol I guess you have some deep pockets for McDonald's then...  

We're turning into a society of kids that don't believe in hard work and think they should be getting paid top dollar with no skill set. It's very frightening.  In spite of the poor job market, there are actually plenty of high paying jobs out here, but the problem is they require people with higher education and skills to do them so they can't find qualified candidates. In fact, I'd say I'm against this strictly because this city has too many of these low paying service jobs and it's not doing New Yorkers any good to have more and more fast food joints with the garbage that they serve, so from my point of view, let them raise it to $20.00 if they want.  My money wouldn't go to support these types of places anyway.

How do you suppose that they improve their education when they're being paid seven bucks an hour on a part time job? and then they siphon taxes out the check too, so by the end of it, they're making shit per week.

How do you suppose that they improve their education when they're being paid seven bucks an hour on a part time job? and then they siphon taxes out the check too, so by the end of it, they're making shit per week.

Let's see... How about they take advantage of the free programs out there for starters.  When I started out, I most certainly took advantage of them and received free counseling on how to improve my CV and so on.  There are also plenty of college grants and financial aid out there, so there really are opportunities if people don't look for excuses for themselves.  

I started out working part-time and temping until I received my BA and was then offered a position with the company I was temping with. In fact that's what most people do.  You can't seriously tell me that the 20 year old female in the article (Shaniqua) or whatever her name is really gave a crap about her education.  She was too busy getting knocked up to care about her education, so now she's working in some fast food joint and expects them to compensate her for mistakes in life.  That's her fault, not the company's fault and higher wages demand more skill and hard work.  There is no easy way around it.

“I’m not going to stay quiet,” said Shaniqua Davis, 20, a Bronx resident and McDonald’s worker. “I’m going to continue to fight. ... I’ve got a daughter to take care of. I struggle to make ends meet.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/fast-food-walkout-workers-u-s-protest-wages-article-1.1440232#ixzz2dTKLJOWP

lol... 

$12 wouldn't be so bad, IMO $15 is just pushing it.

If you ask me, $15 isn't enough, either. The payroll should match that to inflation, which is around $20 per hour.

I think this is a joke.  They want $15.00 an hour to flip friggin' burgers AND benefits AND the ability to form a union?!? Get out of here!

If you think having their payroll raised to at least $15 with the ability to have a union and a medicare plan is a "joke," then you're lying to yourself. One to two generations ago, the payroll closely matched with inflation, making $7.25 a viable option. However, it's been thirty years with nearly no changes to inflation, even in the states where the minimum wage is higher. As of 2012, four states have a minimum wage lower than the Federal one, but there are so many loopholes that allow big companies like Walmart and McDonald's the ability to pay their workers less than they should.

We're now in a day in age where the minimum wage is so low that it doesn't keep up with inflation. If we're to adjust the minimum payroll proposal of $9.25 from 1981 to inflation today, it'd be around $24 per hour. Today's federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour (which would be $18.63 in 1981 dollars) is less than three times that much. In the 1970s and 80s, a lot of products cost less than a buck or two then. ($3.55 back in 1981 is $9.12 today according the Inflation Calculator, more than enough to buy the necessities.) Today, you're lucky to find any product worth less than one dollar. That's how much inflation has risen over the past thirty years, but since January 1981, the minimum wage has increased by only $3.70.

This is certainly a generational thing because when I was growing up, no one would dare strike over getting  a higher wage working at a fast food joint.

There is one huge reason why your generation didn't strike so much. In August 1981, Reagan fired all 13,000 Patco workers, killing the power of unions, stagnating the minimum wage, damaging the unions' relationship with the Republican Party permanently, and consequently resulting in the inequity of pay we all see today. Patco's combustion stripped the workforce and unions of their much needed voices, and it hasn't recovered. You're seeing more strikes today because people are getting sick and tired of being so far behind the eight ball that it's reached the boiling point for many workers.

And increasing the minimum wage to at least $15, providing health care, and forming unions would be a good thing for these companies.

1. It tells people whether they're customers or not that the workers matter. It gives the workers a voice, something they haven't had since long before I was born. Unions are hugely important because they're the ones who help give workers the ability to have sick days, days off, and the minimum wage. In places like McDonald's and Walmart, it's not uncommon for people to come to work sick or hurt because if they don't, they either don't get paid or may be sacked. McD's don't give these workers any help, marginalizing their worth and forcing them to literally slave their way to survive. If given a bigger payroll and unions, the workers can negotiate and give workers the ability to take sick days off, have a vacation, spend more quality time with their families, and have a medicare plan.

2. With a higher wage and union, McDonald's workers will want to come to work. All of these workers are coming to work and showing a smile out of force. They look like they want to work at McDonald's or Burger King, but they truly don't. That's how bad the working situation is in those joints. The atmospheres in the huge fast food chains are poisonous, and you can see it everywhere.

But give them a better security blanket, and you'll have people want to go to work. Workers will want — not have — to stay with the company: They feel like they can trust the executives above. That feeling of true happiness ebbs on the customers, too, because they'll want to voluntarily come back, communicate with the employees, and have a great time. In turn, the employees will want to socialize with the customers, talk to them more, laugh and joke, give them their best, and be there. The employees are happy, so the customers are happy. The atmosphere will change from poisonous to joyful. Instead of being a small ant in a stingy job, being there will be a satisfying career.

For example, one of the biggest reasons warehouse retailer Costco is ranked so highly is due to the customer service. The employees there have everything: an extremely high hourly wage (more than twenty dollars per hour), sick days, vacation days, medicare plan, and a 401k once they retire. Their annual turnover rate is five percent. The customers are happy because their employees are happy and want to genuinely give their best so the customers can continue following Costco. Give people the incentive to work, and they'll come to work and put in at least one hundred percent of their effort in their career. Costco gives their employees that incentive. McDonald's does not.

3. And there's a bigger consequence: a smaller turnover rate. McDonald's turnover rate is assumed to be extremely high, possibly one of the highest in the fast food business, and I guarantee you the poison atmosphere and poor treatment of their employees are key reasons why. A higher payroll means they don't want to leave. They want to stay working there at their own will; when they retire, they'll have a good security. A small turnover rate equals not spending a ton training for new recruits to replace them, too. Less spending money replacing employees means companies like McDonald's can save money and not waste it.

If you ask me, $15 isn't enough, either. The payroll should match that to inflation, which is around $20 per hour.

If you think having their payroll raised to at least $15 with the ability to have a union and a medicare plan is a "joke," then you're lying to yourself. One to two generations ago, the payroll closely matched with inflation, making $7.25 a viable option. However, it's been thirty years with nearly no changes to inflation, even in the states where the minimum wage is higher. As of 2012, four states have a minimum wage lower than the Federal one, but there are so many loopholes that allow big companies like Walmart and McDonald's the ability to pay their workers less than they should.

We're now in a day in age where the minimum wage is so low that it doesn't keep up with inflation. If we're to adjust the minimum payroll proposal of $9.25 from 1981 to inflation today, it'd be around $24 per hour. Today's federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour (which would be $18.63 in 1981 dollars) is less than three times that much. In the 1970s and 80s, a lot of products cost less than a buck or two then. ($3.55 back in 1981 is $9.12 today according the Inflation Calculator, more than enough to buy the necessities.) Today, you're lucky to find any product worth less than one dollar. That's how much inflation has risen over the past thirty years, but since January 1981, the minimum wage has increased by only $3.70.

There is one huge reason why your generation didn't strike so much. In August 1981, Reagan fired all 13,000 Patco workers, killing the power of unions, stagnating the minimum wage, damaging the unions' relationship with the Republican Party permanently, stripping workers of their voices, and consequently resulting in the inequity of pay we all see today. Patco's combustion stripped the voice of these workers and unions of their much needed voices, and it hasn't recovered. You're seeing more strikes today because people are getting sick and tired of being so far behind the eight ball that it's reached the boiling point for many workers.

And increasing the minimum wage to at least $15, providing health care, and forming unions would be a good thing for these companies.

1. It tells people whether they're customers or not that the workers matter. It gives the workers a voice, something they haven't had since long before I was born. Unions are hugely important because they're the ones who help give workers the ability to have sick days, days off, and the minimum wage. In places like McDonald's and Walmart, it's not uncommon for people to come to work sick or hurt because if they don't, they either don't get paid or may be sacked. McD's don't give these workers any help, marginalizing their worth and forcing them to literally slave their way to survive. If given a bigger payroll and unions, the workers can negotiate and give workers the ability to take sick days off, have a vacation, spend more quality time with their families, and have a medicare plan.

2. With a higher wage and union, McDonald's workers will want to come to work. All of these workers are coming to work and showing a smile out of force. They look like they want to work at McDonald's or Burger King, but they truly don't. That's how bad the working situation is in those joints. The atmospheres in the huge fast food chains are poisonous, and you can see it everywhere.

But give them a better security blanket, and you'll have people want to go to work. Workers will want — not have — to stay with the company: They feel like they can trust the executives above. That feeling of true happiness ebbs on the customers, too, because they'll want to voluntarily come back, communicate with the employees, and have a great time. In turn, the employees will want to socialize with the customers, talk to them more, laugh and joke, give them their best, and be there. The employees are happy, so the customers are happy. The atmosphere will change from poisonous to joyful. Instead of being a small ant in a stingy job, being there will be a satisfying career.

For example, one of the biggest reasons warehouse retailer Costco is ranked so highly is due to the customer service. The employees there have everything: an extremely high hourly wage (more than twenty dollars per hour), sick days, vacation days, medicare plan, and a 401k once they retire. Their annual turnover rate is five percent. The customers are happy because their employees are happy and want to genuinely give their best so the customers can continue following Costco. Give people the incentive to work, and they'll come to work and put in at least one hundred percent of their effort in their career. Costco gives their employees that incentive. McDonald's does not.

3. And there's a bigger consequence: a smaller turnover rate. McDonald's turnover rate is assumed to be extremely high, possibly one of the highest in the fast food business, and I guarantee you the poison atmosphere and poor treatment of their employees are key reasons why. A higher payroll means they don't want to leave. They want to stay working there at their own will; when they retire, they'll have a good security. A small turnover rate equals not spending a ton training for new recruits to replace them, too. Less spending money replacing employees means companies like McDonald's can save money and not waste it.

That's all fine and good, but what you seem to forget about is salaries and benefits cost money and in order to raise salaries and benefits, you have to raise prices.  It's simple economics.  Look at the (MTA) and what's going on with the fares constantly going up.  One can argue that higher wages is precisely why so many American jobs have gone overseas because the products become too expensive for American consumers and those companies can't compete with cheaper imports and lower wages, so there needs to be a balance for both the company and the employee.

Now I'm all for Americans getting paid decent wages BASED UPON the skills that they're doing and I generally support unions provided that they don't become greedy.  However, I have a problem with someone complaining about being fairly compensated for a low skill, traditionally low wage job.  If McDonald's workers are going to be paid $15.00 an hour to work as a cashier, then what should someone like myself make then per hour who is in a managerial position, which generally pays 70 - over 100k per year based on experience, the field etc.?  I mean hell based on what you're saying, everyone's salaries would be damn there double and you'd have a lot of companies going out of business or having to cut back on staff because of the high overhead.  In short, should these workers get a raise? Sure.  I think the minimum wage should go up probably to $9 - 10/hr, BUT to ask for $15 an hour to serve precooked food... I mean, it isn't a job that requires special talent and that's what dictates wages these days... Skills, talent and experience.  McDonald's expects there to be high turnover because no one in their right mind would want to have a career being a cashier.

I think it's very dangerous to suggest that unskilled/uneducated workers now make $15/hr because it sends the message out there that you don't need to try to make something of yourself.  Just go work at McDonald's for the rest of your life because there you can pay the bills but at the same time, you don't aspire to do anything better with your life.  No one should strive to work at McDonald's and raise a family, not unless you're a manager or have a high up position within the company, but to suggest that someone who is a cashier strive for that as a 20 year old? Really the wrong message. 

That's all fine and good, but what you seem to forget about is salaries and benefits cost money and in order to raise salaries and benefits, you have to raise prices.  It's simple economics.  Look at the (MTA) and what's going on with the fares constantly going up.  One can argue that higher wages is precisely why so many American jobs have gone overseas because the products become too expensive for American consumers and those companies can't compete with cheaper imports and lower wages, so there needs to be a balance for both the company and the employee.

Now I'm all for Americans getting paid decent wages BASED UPON the skills that they're doing and I generally support unions provided that they don't become greedy.  However, I have a problem with someone complaining about being fairly compensated for a low skill, traditionally low wage job.  If McDonald's workers are going to be paid $15.00 an hour to work as a cashier, then what should someone like myself make then per hour who is in a managerial position, which generally pays 70 - over 100k per year based on experience, the field etc.?  I mean hell based on what you're saying, everyone's salaries would be damn there double and you'd have a lot of companies going out of business or having to cut back on staff because of the high overhead.  In short, should these workers get a raise? Sure.  I think the minimum wage should go up probably to $9 - 10/hr, BUT to ask for $15 an hour to serve precooked food... I mean, it isn't a job that requires special talent and that's what dictates wages these days... Skills, talent and experience.  McDonald's expects there to be high turnover because no one in their right mind would want to have a career being a cashier.

I think it's very dangerous to suggest that unskilled/uneducated workers now make $15/hr because it sends the message out there that you don't need to try to make something of yourself.  Just go work at McDonald's for the rest of your life because there you can pay the bills but at the same time, you don't aspire to do anything better with your life.  No one should strive to work at McDonald's and raise a family, not unless you're a manager or have a high up position within the company, but to suggest that someone who is a cashier strive for that as a 20 year old? Really the wrong message. 

I'm 20, and I sure as hell have no aspirations of working at MacDonald's, even if it's a high wage.

Pretty sure profits are high in the sky.

Isn't it ironic how  some companies keep reporting massive profits every quarter? 

I don't see what profits have to do with anything.  If profits are good, then you can reward your employees with a little bonus, but you don't overpay employees.  That's not economically sustainable and it most certainly isn't financially responsible as a company, nor is it responsible to your stockholders who also invest in the company and make the company viable to go overpaying employees just because.  

Archived