Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RTS4Life

Things to know

Things to know 

How many Bus Operator Exams are there 

There are 6 B/O Exams from 2801, 2901, 2301,3101,2613,4600 with 3 different Divisions from TA, MABSTOA,  

Mta bus

Which Exams are TA, Mabstoa, Mta bus 

2801 ,2901 ,3101- Mabstoa 

2301 - Mta Bus 

2613 , 4600 - TA

Which Exam is expiring soon 

Exams that will be Expiring in the next 1-2 years will be 2801, 2901.

Which exams are they calling right now

Currently they are calling 2801 and 2901 for  Mabstoa  

I applied for Mabstoa. They offered me Mta Bus .

When you apply for any  Mabstoa  B/O exam  They can also offer you  Mta Bus part time or full because Mabstoa and  Mta Bus are none civil service .

Is TA Bus Operators civil service

Yes They are 

What is civil service system 

A civil service system generally means employment in government with such positions filled on merit as a result of competitive examinations or screening.  Employment in civil service brings with it certain rights regarding job security; namely, that in most civil service appointments discipline or termination can only occur where there is just cause and after due process has been provided.

Do all Divisions get the same Transportation Pass

No they don’t. TA and Mabstoa can ride on local buses and ride the subway system.

Mta bus can only ride on local and on Mta bus express buses.

• Upvote 1

The pass won’t work when you swap it . But if you work for MTA bus you won’t have a problem. Now let say if you work for MTA bus and you wanted to ride the subway system .Sometimes you can get a person that just don't care and would not look at it, As we all work for the same company. If you got on my bus and show me a MTA bus pass.  I would look at as were co-workers we do the same job

Not to be a trouble maker, but some of the red/blue pass holers can come off as extremely snobby when I request a ride with my green MTA bus pass

I remember last week I had an issue with my car, so I had to take a bus and a train home. I politely gathered the bus operator's attention and said good afternoon and showed him and he acted like I didnt exist. 2 stops down a guy with a red pass got on , he didnt really acknowledge the operator, but flashed the pass and the operator was "oh whats up boss how you doing "

In the train station the lady in the booth also didnt want to respect the pass...

When anyone flashes a red pass on my bus im happy to let them on. I thought we were one big family.

Not to be a trouble maker, but some of the red/blue pass holers can come off as extremely snobby when I request a ride with my green MTA bus pass

I remember last week I had an issue with my car, so I had to take a bus and a train home. I politely gathered the bus operator's attention and said good afternoon and showed him and he acted like I didnt exist. 2 stops down a guy with a red pass got on , he didnt really acknowledge the operator, but flashed the pass and the operator was "oh whats up boss how you doing "

In the train station the lady in the booth also didnt want to respect the pass...

When anyone flashes a red pass on my bus im happy to let them on. I thought we were one big family.

That does suck since you guys work for the same agency, I just want that damn red pass with a uniform! In the meantime i'll keep using my cousin who works in the booth to let me ride for free.

I've gotten the same reaction some times as well, don't feel singled out. Even those of us with the same red/blue U passes aren't supposed to be buzzed in or let thru the gate at subway stations even when a pass isn't working properly. We're supposed to dip the U pass even on TA buses, not flash. I understand B/Os and S/As need to follow their rules and will never get an argument from me, but I can't understand when they do it with an attitude towards fellow employees from their agency or related ones. We're basically alone down here and when a fellow MTA person boards your bus, train, or enters your station you should be glad to have them around.

• Upvote 1

What are the differences with the passes and what does a train operator and a train conductor get? Also when do we get those passes when we get hired? (so I have an idea when I get called down how long I would have to buy metrocards that sort of thing)

What are the differences with the passes and what does a train operator and a train conductor get? Also when do we get those passes when we get hired? (so I have an idea when I get called down how long I would have to buy metrocards that sort of thing)

A Train Operator and Conductor fall under NYC Transit, so male employees of NYC Transit (including buses) would get a red pass, female employees get blue. When you get called down to 180 Livingston Street, for final processing, they will take your picture. As far as potential Bus Operators are concerned, the first day you report for training is when you will get your pass. I am assuming it is the same procedure for Conductors and Train Operators, unless it is a promotion in which you already have a pass.