The Official PATH thread

N6 Limited

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. When you say "scrapped", does that mean most likely sold to a scrapyard? It might be a little late, but I'd like to see if I can track down any of these cars.

Sold to a scrapyard to become scrap. Since those were retired years ago, I am pretty sure that those do not exist any more. If you want, check out Journal Square. They store trains there, and there's usually a couple of them in their yellow livery.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.panynj.gov/path/33rdstreetlineclosures.html

Looks like there's no weekend PATH service from NJ to 33rd Street. They're running shuttle buses from 29th Street to Murrary Street near the WTC stop.

What I love the most is that these shuttle buses, while free, aren't stopping at 23rd Street and 9th Street. They also aren't going straight to 33rd Street or Christopher Street. I free as though a lot of Midtown riders are gonna be pissed, but at least the shuttle buses are going to the WTC PATH station as well...

Edited by r142a 7795

http://www.panynj.gov/path/33rdstreetlineclosures.html

Looks like there's no weekend PATH service from NJ to 33rd Street. They're running shuttle buses from 29th Street to Murrary Street near the WTC stop.

What I love the most is that these shuttle buses, while free, aren't stopping at 23rd Street and 9th Street. They also aren't going straight to 33rd Street or Christopher Street. I free as though a lot of Midtown riders are gonna be pissed, but at least the shuttle buses are going to the WTC PATH station as well...

1. There's a PATH entrance on 32nd and 6th, 29th Street isn't all that bad when you consider that 30th and up having a lot of vehicular traffic(MTA and the like).

2. Christopher Street Station is a good distance away from 7th Avenue. It's only 2 or so blocks away from West Street, just to give you an idea.

3. West 3rd Street is a very short walk from 9th Street. No big deal.

Kinda doubt Midtown riders would be pissed, especially with the amount of folks at both ends explaining why things are the way they are.

Adding onto what Cait said, Christopher Street is out of the way heading uptown. Having to go west, just to come back east would take up too much time. Idk why there's no 23rd Street stop but I'm guessing they didn't need one due to ridership. As for only going up to 29th Street, it's a bit hard to get the bus turned around up at 33rd. (Left on 33rd can be tight, subject to double parked cars, no lefts on 34th) It's much easier to make the left on 29th or 31st and return to 7th Ave that way.

I was on the shuttle last weekend overnight and managed to do the uptown leg in no more than 15 minutes, and the whole loop within 30. Of course, this won't be the same during the day but it shouldn't be that bad.

The new PATH construction schedule has been released, and I don't understand why the intra-state line between Journal Square and Hoboken runs more often (every 12 minutes) than the train running between Newark Penn Station and WTC (every 20). I can barely grasp by this line exists. Is there really that much of a passenger load between Jersey City and Hoboken?

The new PATH construction schedule has been released, and I don't understand why the intra-state line between Journal Square and Hoboken runs more often (every 12 minutes) than the train running between Newark Penn Station and WTC (every 20). I can barely grasp by this line exists. Is there really that much of a passenger load between Jersey City and Hoboken?

No...But they do supplement service from JSQ-WTC

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Quick question:

Is it legal to take a photo of the WTC PATH station's Oculus entrance? I realized it may be illegal to take pictures in the PATH system itself, but I see a bunch of pictures of the Oculus online, so it may be perfectly legal. Where does it start becoming illegal, though - once you're in fare control, or once you get on the platform?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 9:15 PM, I love NY said:

Why this fantastic site hasn't a PATH section forum? The PATH has an average weekday ridership of 270,000 and run 24 hours a day and 7 days a week !!!
I think that it should be very interesting to have a own PATH section forum or a PATH / New Jersey Transit forum.

Is it possible ? Thank you for the possible reply.

Not enough PATH topics to warrant its own forum.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

I thought I heard somewhere that SmartTrip is being phased out. Does anyone have any info on whether this is true or not?

I don't recall that being announced as of now, do you have a resource by chance where you got this? Maybe you got it mixed up with SmartLink Grey...

9 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

MetroCard will be phased out. The new system will be OMNY.

I am not sure about the PATH Smart Link card.

Indeed, OMNY is the new payment form. The existing SmartLink could remain alongside or integrated with OMNY, but for now I think we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

23 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I don't recall that being announced as of now, do you have a resource by chance where you got this? Maybe you got it mixed up with SmartLink Grey

Ah, I see. No, I wasn't referencing MetroCard or OMNY, just specifically SmartLink.

Thanks for clearing things up! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I’m doing a personal project for openbve and it is the K-Class (MP51) PATH model. I have found no videos of the cars online and can only guess about the sequence of the rollsign readings. I also have no idea of what the cab looks like so I’ll presume it looks like the cab of a redbird (since they were both built by St. Louis).

What I really need to know is if anyone can personally attest to riding/seeing/hearing the K cars in service (since none were saved for museums). What did the propulsion sound like, and was it GE or WH? Was the K Car a SMEE? How many power and brake notches? What did the train sound like when the brakes were applied or released, was it like an R33?

I know this is a lot to ask for, but given that the negligent Port Authority failed to preserve any K-Cars after the fleet was purged in 2011, I have very few resources to work with. I already have diagrams and have made a full exterior shell, but that’s about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!