The Official PATH thread

N6 Limited

About of the late night service and the overnight connection between  NYC subway (34th st Herald Square) and Path (33rd st), what does mean the PATH notice on their site that the passageway from PATH to NYC Subway N, Q, and R trains closed daily from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. (use NYC Subway entrance at 34 St & 6 Av) ? Why isn't written that the passageway from PATH to NYC Subway N, Q, R, B-D-F and M trains closed daily from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m?

Does mean it that the connection between Path and B-D-F and M is instead possible even after the 11 p.m. (and 24 hours for the D and F lines) ? But aren't freely link the BMT and IND lines at Herald Square Station ? Why this difference ?

Thanks for a possible explanation.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/4/2015 at 1:51 AM, INDman said:

It must be a regular pay-per-ride Metrocard. Unlimited, disabled, and senior cards will NOT work.

If you have an unlimited card with a PPR balance of $2.75 or higher, the card will still be accepted. Unlimited Balances are read first on all other services.

Dual balances have been available to MetroCard customers since 2013.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, I love NY said:

About of the late night service and the overnight connection between  NYC subway (34th st Herald Square) and Path (33rd st), what does mean the PATH notice on their site that the passageway from PATH to NYC Subway N, Q, and R trains closed daily from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. (use NYC Subway entrance at 34 St & 6 Av) ? Why isn't written that the passageway from PATH to NYC Subway N, Q, R, B-D-F and M trains closed daily from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m?

Does mean it that the connection between Path and B-D-F and M is instead possible even after the 11 p.m. (and 24 hours for the D and F lines) ? But aren't freely linked the BMT and IND lines at Herald Square Station ? Why this difference ?

Thanks for a possible explanation.

I think I figured out. There are 2 passageways (or a great passageway split in 2) between the PATH and the NY subway: the direct passageway towards the NY subway N, Q, R and W trains is closed late night, while another passageway (the main) towards the 34 Street and Broadway subway  (B ,D, F, M, N, Q, R and W trains) entrance is open 24/7.

Is it right?

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, R32MB said:

PATH currently have an additional 72 PA-5 on order. How many A cars and how many B cars are included?

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/path-kawasaki-sign-for-new-refurbished-cars/

No A or B cars, they will all be C cars (there are no B cars on PATH). PATH has more than enough A cars. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Just curious, if I use a PPR Metrocard and I swipe in on PATH, is there a transfer encoded on it for transfer onto the subway? 

Not only is there no free xfer encoded onto the metrocard between PATH & MTA services, you can only use PPR metrocards to access PATH (as opposed to the unlimiteds)....

• 2 months later...

I have a question does PATH heads to the Newark Airport train stop for connection to the Airtrain EWR 

I mean yeah the bad part is to pay another $2.75 for to go from Subway to PATH but let's not forget PATH is runned by another company separate but associated with MTA (e.g..BeeLine bus uses metrocard but is separate of MTA as well as NICE buses)

So for a airport trip from let's say from Bushwick Brooklyn one would take any bus to a subway stop at aforementioned sector transfer to subway headed to Fulton Center stop and connect to the PATH WTC-EWR and from there connect to Airtrain 

Making aforementioned itinerary one will pay up $10.50 which ain't that bad compare to $80 bucks in a taxi 

1 minute ago, DS4Ever said:

I have a question does PATH heads to the Newark Airport train stop for connection to the Airtrain EWR 

I mean yeah the bad part is to pay another $2.75 for to go from Subway to PATH but let's not forget PATH is runned by another company separate but associated with MTA (e.g..BeeLine bus uses metrocard but is separate of MTA as well as NICE buses)

So for a airport trip from let's say from Bushwick Brooklyn one would take any bus to a subway stop at aforementioned sector transfer to subway headed to Fulton Center stop and connect to the PATH WTC-EWR and from there connect to Airtrain 

Making aforementioned itinerary one will pay up $10.50 which ain't that bad compare to $80 bucks in a taxi 

Nope.... Newark PATH ends at Newark-Penn; it's why so many people gun for the NJT #62 for direct access to the terminals....

Otherwise, you'd have to xfer over for the NEC or the NJCL & take it one stop to the Newark Airport RR stop (and then catch the EWR AIRTrain from there).....

22 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Nope.... Newark PATH ends at Newark-Penn; it's why so many people gun for the NJT #62 for direct access to the terminals....

Otherwise, you'd have to xfer over for the NEC or the NJCL & take it one stop to the Newark Airport RR stop (and then catch the EWR AIRTrain from there).....

Ohhh i didn't notice that I forgot about that transit loophole since should you go to the airport at that itinerary you'll pay as continue:

(MTA) $2.75

PATH $2.75

NJT #62 $2.55

In total you pay $8.05 in other words you pay way less and quite the perspective pay as you heading to JFK which you pay $7.75 only a mere 30 cent difference...the LGA trip cost you $2.75 basic since you transfer to the m60 or Q70 I prefer these buses since their quick especially the latter...but then again one can go to JFK for also $2.75 if you take (A) train to Leffets Blvd and transfer to the q10 or the (F) train to Jamaica 179 st station and catch the q3 both via free transfers as well as the (3) or (L) train to New Lots avenue for the B15

The NJT #62 takes you straight to the airport terminals and is super quick once it leaves the Newark city limits only has about 5-6 stops in Newark after it gets into the highway so yeah forgot all about that loophole XD

4 minutes ago, DS4Ever said:

Ohhh i didn't notice that I forgot about that transit loophole since should you go to the airport at that itinerary you'll pay as continue:

(MTA) $2.75

PATH $2.75

NJT #62 $2.55

In total you pay $8.05 in other words you pay way less and quite the perspective pay as you heading to JFK which you pay $7.75 only a mere 30 cent difference...the LGA trip cost you $2.75 basic since you transfer to the m60 or Q70 I prefer these buses since their quick especially the latter...but then again one can go to JFK for also $2.75 if you take (A) train to Leffets Blvd and transfer to the q10 or the (F) train to Jamaica 179 st station and catch the q3 both via free transfers as well as the (3) or (L) train to New Lots avenue for the B15

The NJT #62 takes you straight to the airport terminals and is super quick once it leaves the Newark city limits only has about 5-6 stops in Newark after it gets into the highway so yeah forgot all about that loophole XD

62 is one zone from Newark-Penn Station so the 62 will be $1.60

JFK is $7.75 on the airtrain plus the MTA $2.75, unless you take the Q3, B15 or Q10

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

62 is one zone from Newark-Penn Station so the 62 will be $1.60

JFK is $7.75 on the airtrain plus the MTA $2.75, unless you take the Q3, B15 or Q10

Oh yeah i forgot it is $2.55 to Elizabeth yeah your absolutely right it is $1.60 from Penn Station Newark to EWR Airport so the total payment is really

$7.10 

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

How come there's no 33rd-NWK service pattern for PATH? Trying to get to an early flight out of EWR is horrible enough with the horrible frequencies that 33rd-JSQ has at late night.

They had that exact service when 911 destroyed the WTC station...Main reason i think cause 33rd st cant handle extra trains on weekdays and you also got NJT trains at both penn stations....Most ppl pay the 2 dollar whatever difference rather than make the extra transfer on path

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

They had that exact service when 911 destroyed the WTC station...Main reason i think cause 33rd st cant handle extra trains on weekdays and you also got NJT trains at both penn stations....Most ppl pay the 2 dollar whatever difference rather than make the extra transfer on path

The issue is more so for late nights. I'd rather have a 33rd-NWK via HOB service pattern during late nights so waiting for that long transfer at JSQ isnt required.

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

This may be already asked, but in my driving for both Lakeland and NJT, I’ve seen PATH cars hauled on trucks on Route 3 in the Secaucus area.  Anyone know where they go if this is for heavy repair?

Kawasaki factory in Yonkers for work.

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

New cars? When was this order announced? 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:48 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

New PA5 cars I forgot to add. They're 72 new ones to be added to the NWK-WTC Line I believe and I also believe it was also  announced a few years ago 

Correct. For some reason, these each cost $3 million even though the original order cost $1.5 million per car, 10 years earlier.

Speaking of which, does anyone know why the Hudson river WTC tubes were so much more expensive to rehab from Sandy damage than the Montague tubes? Something like $1.4 billion vs under $400 million. Was it just the fact that they only could work on weekends?