Trying to plan out a commute (Patchogue to Hampton Bays), is this why people in LI use cars more?

Akira

My girlfriend and I are moving out to Suffolk from the City (priced out of the City for what we wanted, and we found more value in Long Island). We love Patchogue Village as a revitalizing South Shore town. Originally I thought about working and commuting to the City via the LIRR, but I realized a 90 minute trip to and from Manhattan with a transfer in the middle would make sure I have no time during my day to enjoy our new home, so I decided I'd leave the City trips for recreation and/or exploration. Jobs in Western Long Island were out of the question too, if I wanted to commute I'd have to go all the way to Jamaica and loop back around again which I just can't wrap my mind around. I may have found a potential job in Hampton Bays, but the problem is getting it.

Now, the obvious choice in Long Island is to drive. It's roughly a 30 minute drive via Sunrise Highway from my home in Patchogue to Hampton Bays, which is great. However, being from the City, I want to explore transit options as well.

The LIRR would've been so convenient to take from Patchogue to Hampton Bays, but what is with that schedule? Seriously, that's the summer schedule to boot? I thought people went to the Hamptons during the summer for vacation. Trains to Hampton Bays arrive at 3:04 and 9:59 in the morning, and 1:22, 6:40, 8:12, 9:16, 10:46 in the afternoon/evening. It's really a shame, I wanted to use the LIRR.

So my next option was SCT. I saw that I could use the S66/S92 combination to get to work. A long trip however, almost two hours and I'd have to leave at 5:45 am to get there.

Is this just the norm for Eastern Long Island, Long Island in general? I want to use mass transit even after leaving the City (cheaper, more relaxation, better environmental effects), but the options on Long Island are just plain bad:

- Commute to the City and have less time at home.

- Inter-island LIRR travel restricts you to a single branch, trying to get to another one means mindlessly slingshotting around Jamaica, and the schedule is horrible considering the LIRR seems to only exist as a way to get people to and from Jamaica/Penn/Atlantic rather than around Long Island.

- Rely on county buses. Same schedule issues as the LIRR, and I can't say I ever want to rely on NICE again after the numerous times it made me late coming to work from Long Island after visiting my girlfriend at college. Got to rushing to the bus stop only to see the only bus for an hour leaving five minutes early.

Is this why a car is the norm for Long Island? I really didn't want to have to rely on one, but I guess I have to. It's really a shame, I'm so close to Patchogue Station, my work is close to Hampton Bays Station, but the LIRR is just unusable for commuting.

I guess my point is are there alternatives? Is the MTA or SCT aware of these kinds of issues, and just don't care to serve Eastern LI? You guys tell me, I'm curious to hear opinions.

It's more of being SCT and LIRR at fault here. Nassau is actually doing quite fine. Sure, NICE isn't perfect but at least the connections and especially the schedules are better compared to SCT. LIRR used to run lots of trains down the Montauk branch years ago but somewhere in the 90s they cut it back to what it is now.

You need a car. You live in the suberbs.

LIRR trains are so not frequent out in eastern LI.

Suffolk County bus system is not like NYC bus system that runs more often.

You have poor planning. Bring extra cash for a taxi ride or take a rip-off Hampton Jitney or 7 Bus to NYC.

Otherwise, move closer to NYC.

The LIRR is very good at getting people from where they are to New York and little else.  Intra-island and intra-city travel has been a weak point for the LIRR for a long, long time.  Hopefully when ESA comes around and the schedules get virtually redone the LIRR will give more thought to the intra-island commuter.

Though I must say the Montauk branch is particularly gifted with intra-island travel opportunities.  The main AM peak train, train 2703, stops at Babylon, Hicksville, and Mineola.  In the evening there are one or two Patchogue trains that make Mineola and/or Hicksville as well.  That gives you pretty convenient two-seat rides to most of the stations on the system.  While not as convenient as more direct north-south links could make it, we're better off than some other branches.

My girlfriend and I are moving out to Suffolk from the City (priced out of the City for what we wanted, and we found more value in Long Island). We love Patchogue Village as a revitalizing South Shore town. Originally I thought about working and commuting to the City via the LIRR, but I realized a 90 minute trip to and from Manhattan with a transfer in the middle would make sure I have no time during my day to enjoy our new home, so I decided I'd leave the City trips for recreation and/or exploration. Jobs in Western Long Island were out of the question too, if I wanted to commute I'd have to go all the way to Jamaica and loop back around again which I just can't wrap my mind around. I may have found a potential job in Hampton Bays, but the problem is getting it.

Now, the obvious choice in Long Island is to drive. It's roughly a 30 minute drive via Sunrise Highway from my home in Patchogue to Hampton Bays, which is great. However, being from the City, I want to explore transit options as well.

The LIRR would've been so convenient to take from Patchogue to Hampton Bays, but what is with that schedule? Seriously, that's the summer schedule to boot? I thought people went to the Hamptons during the summer for vacation. Trains to Hampton Bays arrive at 3:04 and 9:59 in the morning, and 1:22, 6:40, 8:12, 9:16, 10:46 in the afternoon/evening. It's really a shame, I wanted to use the LIRR.

So my next option was SCT. I saw that I could use the S66/S92 combination to get to work. A long trip however, almost two hours and I'd have to leave at 5:45 am to get there.

Is this just the norm for Eastern Long Island, Long Island in general? I want to use mass transit even after leaving the City (cheaper, more relaxation, better environmental effects), but the options on Long Island are just plain bad:

- Commute to the City and have less time at home.

- Inter-island LIRR travel restricts you to a single branch, trying to get to another one means mindlessly slingshotting around Jamaica, and the schedule is horrible considering the LIRR seems to only exist as a way to get people to and from Jamaica/Penn/Atlantic rather than around Long Island.

- Rely on county buses. Same schedule issues as the LIRR, and I can't say I ever want to rely on NICE again after the numerous times it made me late coming to work from Long Island after visiting my girlfriend at college. Got to rushing to the bus stop only to see the only bus for an hour leaving five minutes early.

Is this why a car is the norm for Long Island? I really didn't want to have to rely on one, but I guess I have to. It's really a shame, I'm so close to Patchogue Station, my work is close to Hampton Bays Station, but the LIRR is just unusable for commuting.

I guess my point is are there alternatives? Is the MTA or SCT aware of these kinds of issues, and just don't care to serve Eastern LI? You guys tell me, I'm curious to hear opinions.

you just answered your own question why people drive in Long Island dude. Where in western LI are those jobs?

You need a car. You live in the suberbs.

LIRR trains are so not frequent out in eastern LI.

Suffolk County bus system is not like NYC bus system that runs more often.

You have poor planning. Bring extra cash for a taxi ride or take a rip-off Hampton Jitney or 7 Bus to NYC.

Otherwise, move closer to NYC.

Trust me, this was planned. I knew Suffolk didn't have transportation like NYC. Like I said, I knew I would probably need a car, I just wanted to ask why the transit out there was so poor and if improvement was coming to save money in the future, that's all.

I'm quite fond of the idea of a bunch of smaller north-south light rail links in Nassau and Suffolk County.  Something along Flanders Road (Hampton Bays/Riverhead), Nicolls Road (Patchogue-Holbrook/Holtsville/Stony Brook), Rt 231 (Babylon/Deer Park/Dix Hills), Rt 107 (Massapequa/Hicksville/Oyster Bay), Rt 106 (Bellmore/Hicksville/Glen Cove), and then one or two in the Garden City/Hmpstead Area (not to familar with that part of Long Island anymore).

Simple little north-south links, not meant to be carrying hundreds of people like rush hour trains, just smaller systems build along existing roads to help relieve pressure and serve as a backbone for better street transit infrastructure.

But a bit pie in the sky, I know.

I'm quite fond of the idea of a bunch of smaller north-south light rail links in Nassau and Suffolk County.  Something along Flanders Road (Hampton Bays/Riverhead), Nicolls Road (Patchogue-Holbrook/Holtsville/Stony Brook), Rt 231 (Babylon/Deer Park/Dix Hills), Rt 107 (Massapequa/Hicksville/Oyster Bay), Rt 106 (Bellmore/Hicksville/Glen Cove), and then one or two in the Garden City/Hmpstead Area (not to familar with that part of Long Island anymore).

Simple little north-south links, not meant to be carrying hundreds of people like rush hour trains, just smaller systems build along existing roads to help relieve pressure and serve as a backbone for better street transit infrastructure.

Hmm won't improving N80 accomplish the same thing? And upgrading bus service do the same especially express service. Like an example S27 Babylon port Jefferson via Nicholls rd and sunrise hwy not detailed unless you want that.

Trust me, this was planned. I knew Suffolk didn't have transportation like NYC. Like I said, I knew I would probably need a car, I just wanted to ask why the transit out there was so poor and if improvement was coming to save money in the future, that's all.

No, you didnt expect the way that you want. There is very little demand out in eastern LI. Get a car or move close to NYC.

No, you didnt expect the way that you want. There is very little demand out in eastern LI. Get a car or move close to NYC.

Although I'm not very fond of SCT, people with these kind of opinions like yours are part of the reason why the demand is so little.

If tram-trains were legal in the states, they would be very useful.

Although I'm not very fond of SCT, people with these kind of opinions like yours are part of the reason why the demand is so little.

To be fairly honest, I'm attending university out here right now, and everything outside is all 55MPH roads, cul-de-sacs, large single-family detached houses, big box stores, and endless seas of parking lots. Roads are eight lanes wide on a regular basis (with two left-turn lanes), crosswalks must be push-button (and i'm not even sure if they work), and drivers regularly honk at pedestrians on the sidewalks that are barely three feet wide.

Transit in the 'burbs is definitely no cakewalk, which definitely impacts transit ridership. It just seems downright dangerous to take transit out here compared to the city.

If tram-trains were legal in the states, they would be very useful.

I was thinking something along the liens of the HBLR seen in New Jersey.  Take the left lane of those three lane roads, turn it into an HOV/Bus Lane and run light rail tracks down the middle of it.  Set up the signal system to tie in with traffic lights so they turn green as the train approaches.  It could be done.

Trust me, I've resided in Long Island short term before. I know it and love it there. This is more like a 'What's going on?' question. Transit or car, I love Long Island.

I'm quite fond of the idea of a bunch of smaller north-south light rail links in Nassau and Suffolk County. Something along Flanders Road (Hampton Bays/Riverhead), Nicolls Road (Patchogue-Holbrook/Holtsville/Stony Brook), Rt 231 (Babylon/Deer Park/Dix Hills), Rt 107 (Massapequa/Hicksville/Oyster Bay), Rt 106 (Bellmore/Hicksville/Glen Cove), and then one or two in the Garden City/Hmpstead Area (not to familar with that part of Long Island anymore).

This alone would prevent having to slingshot around Jamaica and improve inter-island transit. The MTA, NICE, an SCT are really trying to push mass transit alternatives, but as much as I and others really want to, they must realize the system or schedule isn't in place for it yet. I know improvements are possible.

Trust me, I've resided in Long Island short term before. I know it and love it there. This is more like a 'What's going on?' question. Transit or car, I love Long Island.

This alone would prevent having to slingshot around Jamaica and improve inter-island transit. The MTA, NICE, an SCT are really trying to push mass transit alternatives, but as much as I and others really want to, they must realize the system or schedule isn't in place for it yet. I know improvements are possible.

You need the big shot legislatures to stop cutting funds in transit. They been decreasing services over the years. LIRR especially...The on-time-performance is a joke. You have to wait very long time for another population boom and officials to start realizing to improve transit otherwise if you not poor, get a car.

You probably would have been better off moving somewhere in Nassau with a downtown & an LIRR station, such as Bellmore, Mineola, Floral Park or Westbury, but it would've probably cost more. Unfortunately as others have said the LIRR is still in the 1950s mentality of getting people to NYC & back. There's quite a few Montauk/Speonk/Patchogue trains that travel via the main line, a valuable north-south connection, the problem is only a few actually stop at Hicksville or Mineola. I've been complaining about this to the LIRR for years, for some reason, they are brain-dead and won't even give a reason for these trains not stopping. Again, that city centric mentality. 

Now as for going to Hampton Bays, the problem is it's single tracked, which limits scheduling. I do think however they could have a later westbound train from Montauk, currently it's 2:51pm, and if you miss it you're stuck there till late night, or have to get robbed by the crooks at the Jitney. There's sidings near Mastic Shirley, Hampton Bays (could put a 2nd platform there), and I think Bridgehampton or Southampton, so there could be meets. 

As far as Suffolk Transit goes, it's a long ride, the S66 is known to get packed and run late and be a bit rowdy, and the S92 aint no picnic either, and you'd have to rely on those 2 routes which I do not recommend. The bottom line there is that you're gonna get to know your car really well. Suffolk Transit actually isn't as bad as it could be, over in Jersey, Ocean Ride & Monmouth/Veolia/NJT make ST look great. But it's a bit less populated down there. 

I was thinking something along the liens of the HBLR seen in New Jersey.  Take the left lane of those three lane roads, turn it into an HOV/Bus Lane and run light rail tracks down the middle of it.  Set up the signal system to tie in with traffic lights so they turn green as the train approaches.  It could be done.

You do realize the north-south roads don't get packed like that right? Light rail seems like overkill unless you replace the west Hempstead line with it.

You probably would have been better off moving somewhere in Nassau with a downtown & an LIRR station, such as Bellmore, Mineola, Floral Park or Westbury, but it would've probably cost more. Unfortunately as others have said the LIRR is still in the 1950s mentality of getting people to NYC & back. There's quite a few Montauk/Speonk/Patchogue trains that travel via the main line, a valuable north-south connection, the problem is only a few actually stop at Hicksville or Mineola. I've been complaining about this to the LIRR for years, for some reason, they are brain-dead and won't even give a reason for these trains not stopping. Again, that city centric mentality. 

Now as for going to Hampton Bays, the problem is it's single tracked, which limits scheduling. I do think however they could have a later westbound train from Montauk, currently it's 2:51pm, and if you miss it you're stuck there till late night, or have to get robbed by the crooks at the Jitney. There's sidings near Mastic Shirley, Hampton Bays (could put a 2nd platform there), and I think Bridgehampton or Southampton, so there could be meets. 

As far as Suffolk Transit goes, it's a long ride, the S66 is known to get packed and run late and be a bit rowdy, and the S92 aint no picnic either, and you'd have to rely on those 2 routes which I do not recommend. The bottom line there is that you're gonna get to know your car really well. Suffolk Transit actually isn't as bad as it could be, over in Jersey, Ocean Ride & Monmouth/Veolia/NJT make ST look great. But it's a bit less populated down there. 

Good luck the LIRR structure makes north south travel impossible unless you use the bus. There is a cheaper bus called 7bus out of riverhead with several departures jitney is no longer the only game in town.

Tram trains allow tram vehicles to also operate on rail tracks, so you could theoretically build a north-south link using the Oyster Bay, Hempstead, and West Hempstead branches from Oyster Bay to Valley Stream.

They are. Look at what vehicles Hiawatha in Minnesota is using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiawatha_Line

(hint: Bombardier Flexity Swift tram-trains)

Tram-trains themselves are not illegal. Actually operating one is essentially, for all intents and purposes, illegal, since you can't interline light rail, heavy rail, or mainline rail.

@bobtehpanda: Ah, like so. Then I had a different concept in mind than you. In that case I'm not familiar with operating a tram-train being illegal or not in the States but here in my country it isn't and there are a few lines operated like that. It would be awesome if Nassau and especially Suffolk would have some tram-trains.

I wasn't thinking converting current branches into trams, that would be barbaric.  No, what I was thinking was more along the lines of light rail.  i.e. take a north-south six lane road in Suffolk County, take the two center lanes, paint them red and drop down a pair of rails in the road.  It would look like what was shown in that photo and in this one from Philidelphia as well.  Think of it as select bus service on rails and with overhead wires.  The light rail would get priority at traffic lights and have dedicated lanes (that other cars could only enter into for turning--just like bus lanes) so the trip up and down would be much faster on the light rail then by car.

And with that you don' have to worry about trouble securing an ROW, etc.  The ROW is already there.  We just need some paint, some rails, and some overhead wire and we're good to go.

Archived