How do you become a subway train conductor or a train driver for the MTA?

Airplanepilotgod8888

What does it take to work as a train driver or conductor for (MTA)? Where do you have to take the test? When do you have to take the test? When you past the test where do you begin your training?

Well me and you are in the same boat and unfortunately for us the  (MTA) won't be doing any open competitive exams for the motorman position, you shouldn't limit yourself to those two positions take any exam you meet the requirements for so you have something to fall back on. I'm gonna try my luck with an internship with them or a "skilled trade position" that way I can get my "foot in the door".

I'm not going anywhere. I wish people can get thru there heads there's no steering wheel at the train ops positions. There are controls like an machine. You OPERATE a subway train or train.

Dan in America We do!   :)

Anywhere else let em call em what they want....

I think people know dam well one can't actually DRIVE a train. They just cant figure out a better word. Plus no one gives a shit how they sound or come off these days. Personally I'd go with words like "maneuver " or "control" possibly even "commandeer".

I think people know dam well one can't actually DRIVE a train.

I don't.  I think the general population never thought about it and are uneducated as to what really happens. 

An example is one of the most common stupid questions I get at Grand Central Terminal when loading the train.  "Which was is the train going to go"?  Meanwhile they just walked past the bumping block against the wall!

Archived