Best depot to work for?

nycpips

In my opinion, the best depot to work for is Casey Stengel. The reason why is because, not only does this depot have a parking lot, this depot is easily accessible by the (7) line as well. Plus, for all of the train buffs, the Corona Yard is right adjacent with those R188s!

In my opinion, the best depot to work for is Casey Stengel. The reason why is because, not only does this depot have a parking lot, this depot is easily accessible by the (7) line as well. Plus, for all of the train buffs, the Corona Yard is right adjacent with those R188s!

Where in Queens is that depot? I meant as far as less managers, better atmosphere, solid runs.

Where in Queens is that depot? I meant as far as less managers, better atmosphere, solid runs.

if you are new, than the best depot to work at is the one closest to where you live. After your probation is done you can start to worry about your preferences as far as management, union, and routes/runs are concerned...

if you are new, than the best depot to work at is the one closest to where you live. After your probation is done you can start to worry about your preferences as far as management, union, and routes/runs are concerned...

Which would be nice but more than likely there will be nothing available close to where I live, I will be commuting or relocating

lol... That's not that big of a deal... I can't think of a depot that doesn't have parking for employees... Depending on where you're coming from Casey Stengel could be a blessing or a curse.  

---

There's also management to think about.  Some personnel can be worse than others, so one has to take all of that into consideration.  It doesn't matter what union you're in, if you get enough complaints and management considers you to be more of a pain than an asset, you will be fired, but some B/O's that are in tight with management may catch a break if you will. 

Just curious Question to the OP Shouldn't this question be asked to fellow Transit Workers? Im assuming you just started to work in Surface Yes?

Seems like the transit workers are answering his question.  Some of them may not have been given that title yet or have the logo like you do under your avatar... Blitz is a transit worker and I'm assuming the other guy that talked about the express runs is too, otherwise I don't know how he would know...

Just curious Question to the OP Shouldn't this question be asked to fellow Transit Workers? Im assuming you just started to work in Surface Yes?

Yeah thats who I am asking. TA workers browse through here as well. Is there a transit workers only section? Didn't think so.

Seems like the transit workers are answering his question.  Some of them may not have been given that title yet or have the logo like you do under your avatar... Blitz is a transit worker and I'm assuming the other guy that talked about the express runs is too, otherwise I don't know how he would know...

Yes some did answer while others who don't work for transit answered as well...

Maybe he should have worded the post differently.

Yeah thats who I am asking. TA workers browse through here as well. Is there a transit workers only section? Didn't think so.

Yes its called the "Crew Room" why don't you send the WebMaster Harry a Message he can help you out with that.

You are welcome.

What are some of the better depots to work for? Borough? Depot name? Why? 

Are you OA or TA? If you're OA you wouldn't be able to pick into Staten Island (Yukon, Castleton, Charleston and Meredith) or Queens Division (Queens Village, Jamaica and Casey Stengal).  

If you want to make money come to The Bronx, however, it comes at a price.  Manhattan will be less of a headache with the riding public but as a trade off you will have increased supervision and A LOT more traffic.  Being on probation I suggest you complete your first year in The Bronx being that the streets are really wide and if you mind your own business you'll stay out of trouble.  However, if you live in Brooklyn or Queens stay close to home as the commute can be a nightmare especially on weekends.  As per contract if you are late due to using mass transit they "can't" discipline you (granted your pass shows that you swiped into the system with sufficient time to get to your depot) but you have to still go through a process of seeing the GS, this, that and the third.  It's just best to avoid that office.  The less they know about you, the better.

On another note, if you are TA and elect to transfer into either the Queens or Staten Island division, those depots are governed by various locals of the ATU union which means that each garage has a closed seniority list (They may have a general pick within the Staten Island division I can't really remember).  With that being said, you will be stuck at that garage for the remainder of your career unless you request an emergency transfer which will place you back into a TWU governed depot at the cost of ALL your seniority.

Are you OA or TA? If you're OA you wouldn't be able to pick into Staten Island (Yukon, Castleton, Charleston and Meredith) or Queens Division (Queens Village, Jamaica and Casey Stengal).  

If you want to make money come to The Bronx, however, it comes at a price.  Manhattan will be less of a headache with the riding public but as a trade off you will have increased supervision and A LOT more traffic.  Being on probation I suggest you complete your first year in The Bronx being that the streets are really wide and if you mind your own business you'll stay out of trouble.  However, if you live in Brooklyn or Queens stay close to home as the commute can be a nightmare especially on weekends.  As per contract if you are late due to using mass transit they "can't" discipline you (granted your pass shows that you swiped into the system with sufficient time to get to your depot) but you have to still go through a process of seeing the GS, this, that and the third.  It's just best to avoid that office.  The less they know about you, the better.

On another note, if you are TA and elect to transfer into either the Queens or Staten Island division, those depots are governed by various locals of the ATU union which means that each garage has a closed seniority list (They may have a general pick within the Staten Island division I can't really remember).  With that being said, you will be stuck at that garage for the remainder of your career unless you request an emergency transfer which will place you back into a TWU governed depot at the cost of ALL your seniority.

lol... I do know that unless you live on Staten Island or near it, most B/O's hate having to work out of the depots there because it can be a pain to get there if you don't drive.  I think a lot of B/O's particularly the ones with seniority live on the Island or in New Jersey.

• 3 months later...

What depots should I be looking at along the queens to nassau border. I live in suffolk. I am used to driving to Rockville Centre every morning. What depot would be close to that town or near the LIRR in case I couldn't use my car? This would be for NYC TRANSIT ONLY

What depots should I be looking at along the queens to nassau border. I live in suffolk. I am used to driving to Rockville Centre every morning. What depot would be close to that town or near the LIRR in case I couldn't use my car? This would be for NYC TRANSIT ONLY

Queens village is the closest off the cross island & jamaica. And jamaica is the 2nd closest depot from Long Island.

What are some of the better depots to work for? Borough? Depot name? Why? 

@YBlaze: I have several questions if you don't mind. Which Union governs Westfarm dopot is it Atu or Twu? Also is this one of the best depots that provide most OT. I took TA exam4600 I heard that as an TA B/O I should be able to work at any of the depots is that correct? Also you mentioned that going to the bx comes with a price is that because of the extra supervision? If things go my way my plan is to work any of the bx depots any information will be appreciated Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

@YBlaze: I have several questions if you don't mind. Which Union governs Westfarm dopot is it Atu or Twu? Also is this one of the best depots that provide most OT. I took TA exam4600 I heard that as an TA B/O I should be able to work at any of the depots is that correct? Also you mentioned that going to the bx comes with a price is that because of the extra supervision? If things go my way my plan is to work any of the bx depots any information will be appreciated Thanks in advance.

im not YB but in regards to the depot union governance

Manhattan Bronx and brooklyn depots are governed by TWU local 100 (including west farms) 

Queens is ATU 1056 

SI is ATU 726 

im not YB but in regards to the depot union governance

Manhattan Bronx and brooklyn depots are governed by TWU local 100 (including west farms) 

Queens is ATU 1056 

SI is ATU 726 

I appreciate the response thank you

Archived