BVE Lag

subway4832

Hello all, I downloaded a couple of lines for bve, and the A train, R train, and the New Lots Avenue routes lag so much, around less than 5 fps which is really bad, is there a specific reason to this, I have a dell Inspiron mini 1012, is it graphics, resolution? And if I had to run bve on a different computer, which would you best recommend, thanks!

I haven't touched games like these in a long time.  But I'd assume the content has progressed.

Judging from the name of your system already, you're system is probably below minimum requirements, though I searched up your system.

Dell Inspiron Mini 1012

Intel Atom N450 processor -> To my knowledge, Atom processors are obsolete these days and I'll say netbooks are out of date as well.

1 GB RAM -> I believe you'll need at least 4 GB of RAM for at least the newer content of BVE.

Intel GMA 3150 -> Integrated graphics, most of the newer content would require a dedicated card and not a lot of laptops carry those, especially netbooks.  Though Intel HD graphics may run a few BVE routes.

Bottom line, netbooks are generally used for word processing and e-mailing and small office work and not really meant for gaming.

Hello all, I downloaded a couple of lines for bve, and the A train, R train, and the New Lots Avenue routes lag so much, around less than 5 fps which is really bad, is there a specific reason to this, I have a dell Inspiron mini 1012, is it graphics, resolution? And if I had to run bve on a different computer, which would you best recommend, thanks!

You're looking at needing $600 or more to find a machine that can run OpenBVE with a DECENT frame rate.

My 2003(?) dell inspirion has pretty good frame rate on BVE routes. Compared to the computer that I use for regular purposes, it's outstanding. (My netbook lags so bad with BVE to the point where my whole computer freezes).

I think it depends on how fast your processor is. I'm not a computer geek, so I wouldn't know. (rr4567 could probably answer this :P ).

At the expense of hard drive space, screen size and keyboard size, and other utilitarian features such as more modern processors.

Best Buy has a couple of Lenovo's and Asus's that have 320-500GB laptops with i5's that can run OpenBVE at moderate frames.

My 2003(?) dell inspirion has pretty good frame rate on BVE routes. Compared to the computer that I use for regular purposes, it's outstanding. (My netbook lags so bad with BVE to the point where my whole computer freezes).

I think it depends on how fast your processor is. I'm not a computer geek, so I wouldn't know. (rr4567 could probably answer this :P ).

Like I said above, netbooks aren't really meant for gaming..unless you like playing Freecell (which I do) or Minesweeper. lol

Ok, what would you personally recommend then..

Depends on your overall budget. The laptop I'm currently using is an Acer Aspire V3-571G-6622. i5 processor, nvidia GT730M discrete GPU with 2 gb video memory. I'd recommend that, but it's still retailing at around $600 a pop, and that's without the 4 gig ram upgrade i gave it a few months ago. to be honest, just search for any laptop that has an NVIDIA graphics card (or any other discrete graphics card, provided you can identify them). If hard drive space and ram isn't really a limiting factor for you, you might be able to find a machine somewhere between $500 and $600 that suits your needs. 

http://www.nvidia.com/object/wtb_notebooks.html

Just scroll through the laptops listed here and see if there's one within your price range... 

you're going to have to copy the model names and paste them into a google search, since most of those computers are older models that have gone out of production (hence no longer on the manufacturers' website)

You may also want to try these links out:

http://www.squidoo.com/best-cheap-gaming-laptops-under-600

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/gaming-laptops-under-500/

Go to Lenovo, get a Y410P.  That's probably the lowest priced laptop I can find you with a discrete video card.  If you go Y510P, you have the option to go SLI with the ultrabay but of course that comes with a price.

The Y410P's lowest model will net you a GT755M and it's been updated to Haswell. It'll cost you 800 at the very least modifications.  Sadly though, it only offers a 1366x768 resolution.

Other than that, I can recommend Dell's XPS 15 but I believe their latest has WiFi issues.  I'm currently on the 2012 model of the XPS 15 (L502x) and I ran the R46 fine with no skipping frames.

Thanks fanrailer,really appreciate it, by the way, does it lag for you, and can you view full screen or change camera angles

it depends. having a discrete card increases frame rate by a considerable amount, but when running something graphics intensive like the R46 + a newer generation openbve route with a lot of scenery, the frame rate will still drop to a mediocre 12-16 fps (especially when loading objects in the distance). however, i still think that's better than the 1-3 fps i used to get with my older acer which ran intel HD 3000 integrated graphics.

Archived