BVE Lag

subway4832

Thanks CT1660, my budget is at least $400, any laptops that meet the requirements? I searched a couple and I'm not so sure about the results.

By the way ct, way computer do you use? And do you have a YouTube account?

I use a 13" Apple MacBook Pro (Mid-2010)

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

8GB DDR3 (upgrading ram soon to 16GB)

1TB Serial ATA HDD (upgrading hdd soon to 2TB)

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB (can use up to 4GB shared memory)

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 + Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dual Boot

YouTube account is ct1660.

I would recommend at least a Core i3 System + Intel HD Graphics 3000, but for best results, a Core i5 + Dedicated AMD or NVIDIA graphics

Is there a reason why openBVE and BVE in general seems to discriminate against ATI graphic cards/chips. I used to run openBVE on an NVidia integrated card (9100) which gave me an unexpected 20fps (and up to a solid 70 in Cab mode) on the R46 and even higher FPS on mud's 32.

However, I got a GRAPHICS CARD, which should no doubt give me higher frame rates because it's a real graphics card (I can play BF4 on lowest settings, so it's not power that's the issue here), but I seem to lag in EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME. In cab, my frame rates are shaky, going from 40-60 and it fluctuates to those extremes, and 5-10 fps on the R46. It seems that the coding doesn't work well with ATI for some reason. When I go into the exterior view, it seems that there's rendering problems as well, as the elevated tracks disapear every so often (I have no missing dependencies).

Is this a design flaw, and is there a fix for this?

Is there a reason why openBVE and BVE in general seems to discriminate against ATI graphic cards/chips. I used to run openBVE on an NVidia integrated card (9100) which gave me an unexpected 20fps (and up to a solid 70 in Cab mode) on the R46 and even higher FPS on mud's 32.

However, I got a GRAPHICS CARD, which should no doubt give me higher frame rates because it's a real graphics card (I can play BF4 on lowest settings, so it's not power that's the issue here), but I seem to lag in EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME. In cab, my frame rates are shaky, going from 40-60 and it fluctuates to those extremes, and 5-10 fps on the R46. It seems that the coding doesn't work well with ATI for some reason. When I go into the exterior view, it seems that there's rendering problems as well, as the elevated tracks disapear every so often (I have no missing dependencies).

Exact same issues here, quad core radeon apu and all of my trains run like sh*t but other games there's no problem maybe it's not optimized for amd gpu's.

you need to tell us which graphics card you got... they come in all different qualities. i tend to prefer NVIDIA.

you need to tell us which graphics card you got... they come in all different qualities. i tend to prefer NVIDIA.

I do as well, but Radeon tends to have the best bang for the buck. On my laptop currently, I'm equipped with a 7730M. This should be more than acceptable to run all routes (and trains minus the 46 and 6th gen trains) at a solid 50 fps (that's what I ran on a chipset do the math). However, I get massive stuttering and color problems.

Same issue occurs on my desktop which is equipped with a late 7000 series graphics card, more than enough to run any game from last year at low quality, and games 2 + years at max. Doesn't matter WHICH card I have, as this seems to be a reoccuring issue on ALL ATI RADEON cards.

And my CPU goes up to 3.2 ghZ on an i7, so no problems on that end either.

The frame rate is clearly going to be higher when there aren't any friggin' objects for the graphics processing unit to render. It's common computer knowledge. Is that the same computer you were referring to in your original post? 

Also, if you want to talk in terms of objects or no objects, my computer would run that route in your video probably at an average of 250 FPS (in cab), and drop down to around 100 fps (depending on the detail of the train I chose) in exterior view mode, but a more detailed route (in cab view) would probably run more around 30 FPS, and then drop down to around 12-16 FPS for an exterior view.

I do as well, but Radeon tends to have the best bang for the buck. On my laptop currently, I'm equipped with a 7730M. This should be more than acceptable to run all routes (and trains minus the 46 and 6th gen trains) at a solid 50 fps (that's what I ran on a chipset do the math). However, I get massive stuttering and color problems.

Same issue occurs on my desktop which is equipped with a late 7000 series graphics card, more than enough to run any game from last year at low quality, and games 2 + years at max. Doesn't matter WHICH card I have, as this seems to be a reoccuring issue on ALL ATI RADEON cards.

And my CPU goes up to 3.2 ghZ on an i7, so no problems on that end either.

I assume you've played around with the graphics options that should be part of the card control panel system?

Mine is a dell Inspiron mini, same laptop, I was running the harbourvale line. I I downloaded the Q, F, or A train or any other with let's say an R160 and the new lots avenue package with the 142A would it run well? Cause those lines are high quality routes and don't get over 10 fps especially the New Lots Route, A, C, V, And G which lag really bad at 3 fps.

It appears that I have a preliminary fix for the lag issue. For all of you with ATI/AMD Radeon dedicated cards on desktop or a laptop, you need to do a series of steps before you can have a fully functional game.

It seems that ATI/AMD products are poorly optimized for openBVE (or it could be the other way around, I don't know) and in order to make it work, you need to have Catalyst Control Center installed. Now I have only tested this on my switchable graphics laptop, but I'm sure that if your computer has the specs to operate a basic openBVE route, that this will improve or stabilize your frame rates drastically.

1. Download and update your latest drivers. DO NOT do this via Device Manager but go directly to the AMD website or Intel website (depending on your card). Once this is done, YOU MUST RESTART.

NOTE :   If your computer relies on COMPANY SPECIFIC DRIVERs, (ie. DELL drivers, HP drivers, ect. go straight to dell.com, hp.com, ect. and download THEIR OWN drivers). This ONLY applies to laptop or desktop computers which rely on SWITCHABLE graphics. If you have a dedicated GPU that is operational at all times, download your drivers straight from the GPU manufacturer's website.

2. If you use ATI/AMD, you need to install the LATEST version of Catalyst Contol Manager (only if it supports your video card model). If it doesn't, then this guide will not work for your computer as your graphics card is outdated. You MUST RESTART after this process. (I am not familiar with NVidia and Intel ect., so I'm not really sure what your course of action is.)

3. Once you finish your second restart, and CCC is operational, open it up, and click on graphic properties or something of the sort. Go to add program, find openbve.exe, and select that as high prioriety. This is to make sure that openBVE runs using your dedicated GPU, and your GPU dedicates an adequate amount of resources for the game. Load the game, and you should see a significant increase in performance.

This HAS worked for me, as I have seen an increase of up to 30 - 40 fps. Again, there are some stability issues meaning that it still fluctuates from 10 - 60 fps, but this at least allows openBVE to become operational.

Archived