1988 Service Improvements Since 1904 Brochure

Harry

What a great read. Totally enjoyed going through this, have to try to think about what the economic catalyst could have been for such improvements during the "bad 80s." Pretty interesting how that subway map mirrors today's pretty closely, with some routes like the 9, V, and W introduced and eliminated all in the time span in between. C to Bedford Park Blvd is always cool to see on maps as well. 

Many props for this one. I kept a few of the 2002 brochures introducing the V and W along with the Manhattan Bridge changes, maybe those'll be as interesting one day. 

One thing they did that they no longer have now is the (B) and (D) both running on weekends. Do you know just how many people I get asking about the (B) on Saturdays?? Transfering at 34 or Pacific for the (Q) is a pain in the ass, I know. Too bad 57-6 is no longer around to use as a terminal......

I find it especially interesting that the Bx55, B35, B42 and B54 routes are shown on this map, as if they're trying to represent the lost El service. It looks like NYCT had their own versions of the SILVER LIE back in the 80s!

Archived