Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RollOver

F train comes to a halt when track snaps, leaves 1,300 commuters stranded for two hours

F train comes to a halt when track snaps, leaves 1,300 commuters stranded for two hours More than 1,300 people were stuck on the Brooklyn-bound F train Friday night because of the broken track. An MTA official says nearly 800 people refused to take a rescue train that arrived, but some riders dispute that claim. Comments (5) BY PETE DONOHUE THOMAS TRACY AND JOEY SCARBOROUGH / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS PUBLISHED: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2013, 10:55 PM UPDATED: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2013, 3:13 AM
train28n-1-web.jpg MARK BONIFACIO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS  

Part of the stranded train was decoupled from the first two cars and towed back to the station around 9 p.m., according to officials.

More than 1,300 Manhattan straphangers were stranded in a subway tunnel for two hours after the track snapped Friday night, and hundreds missed out on a rescue train, said transit officials and sources.

Officials said the Brooklyn-bound F train came to a sudden stop south of the W. 4th St.—Washington Square station after two cars ran over the broken rail around 7:15 p.m.

“We were between W. 4th St. and Broadway—Lafayette St. when we felt a jerk and heard a pop,” said Kate Vance, 30, who was going home from a yoga class. “No one knew what was going on, then they said that due to a broken rail we weren’t going to be moving for quite a while.”

A rescue train showed up to bring passengers to W. 4th St., but nearly 800 refused to take it, said an MTA official. Some riders and their families disputed that claim.

train28n-4-web.jpg MRSVP VIA TWITTER 'Everyone was friendly,' says one rider who was stuck on the train. 'But around the two-hour mark people were getting more nervous and anxious.'

RELATED: DERAIL THE FARE HIKE

“We were told that there was a rescue train, but it left without us,” said Vance, who was in the second car. “It was too crowded.”

An MTA official said there was enough room on the train for everyone.

“Refused to get on the rescue train?” Laura Dolan tweeted. “Everyone wanted to get on the rescue train, but it left!”

train28n-5.jpg NYDAILYNEWS VIA TWITTER People took to Twitter to air some frustrations to The News.

“My husband was stuck on that train,” added Twitter user Tina Dupy. “They could see (the) platform and were stuck there.”

RELATED: CONTROLLER THOMAS DINAPOLI TO MTA: CUT WASTE TO CURB FARE, TOLL INCREASES

Part of the train was ultimately detached from the first two cars and towed to the station around 9 p.m. No injuries were reported.

Many took the delay in stride, according to Vance.

train28n-3-web.jpg ALEC TABAK/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Sources said the train didn’t derail, but it couldn’t go anywhere on the snapped track.

“People were actually really nice,” she said. “They were offering food and water to each other and joking. Everyone was friendly, but around the two-hour mark people were getting more nervous and anxious.”

“Nothing like an emergency subway rescue to keep my Friday night lively. #ftrain #gladichargedmykindle #2hourstoolong,” tweeted one stranded straphanger who identified herself as @-MrsVP-.

RELATED: KITTENS SHUT DOWN SUBWAY SERVICE FOR TWO HOURS

Those stuck on the train weren’t the only ones affected.

train28n-6-web.jpg BRYAN PACE/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Those stuck on the train weren’t the only ones affected. Some riders waiting for the F train didn't know what the holdup was.

Duane Sherwood, 50, said he was waiting for the F train at the W. 4th St. station and didn't know what the holdup was.

“It’s frustrating, but it’s New York,” he said. “We deal with this bull---- all the time. It’s the price we pay to live in the greatest city in the world.”

MTA officials said they had to suspend the M line from 71st Ave. to Chambers St. because of the broken track. All southbound F trains were redirected to the A line between W. 4th St. and the Jay St.—MetroTech station in Brooklyn. Manhattan-bound trains in Brooklyn were redirected along the G line.

It was unclear when normal service would be restored, an MTA official said.

Sources said the train didn’t derail, but it couldn’t go anywhere on the snapped track. It was not immediately clear if the rail was already broken when the first two cars rolled over it or if it gave way while a train rode on top of it.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/f-train-halt-due-snapped-track-article-1.1470240#ixzz2gBKlMtae

Edited by RollOverMyHead
  • Upvote 2

I can't believe it. It's a miracle. An article that actually places the blame on the 2 hour stranding where it belongs, on the PASSENGERS who were being a**holes and refusing to move, causing the ones who actually DID want to get off that disabled train to have to wait!!!!!

It was a R46. That is a stock photo on the top, taken in Queens no less.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe it. It's a miracle. An article that actually places the blame on the 2 hour stranding where it belongs, on the PASSENGERS who were being a**holes and refusing to move, causing the ones who actually DID want to get off that disabled train to have to wait!!!!!

It was a R46. That is a stock photo on the top, taken in Queens no less.

Not surprised. Totally understand what you mean.

I don't even need to get into it here but as a side point:  As a daily subway commuter, I will say many other straphangers are indeed rude, assholish and can't seem to grasp the simple concept of subway etiquette. Let me not even start on the ways I get aggravated with other straphangers and their disrespectful habits when I am tired from work or school, or both, and want a timely commute home. We all pay the same base fare, I would imagine the given passenger isn't entitled to more privileges then the next straphanger. 

I can see the stock photo was taken at 71st Street Continental now that you mention it.

Edited by realizm

Wait...can anybody explain to me how 2 cars of a 5-car married R46 set were detached and towed? I didn't know you could split a married set that easily...

• Upvote 1

yup yup yup yup yup, the phrase "crumbling infrastructure" comes to mind once again.

although the behavior of the people did not help..human nature once again.

and like so many other things, it is what it is.

Wait...can anybody explain to me how 2 cars of a 5-car married R46 set were detached and towed? I didn't know you could split a married set that easily...

4 car set, not 5.

Sorry, that's what you get when I'm used to 10-car trains. But my point still stands... the paper reads: "Part of the stranded train was decoupled from the first two cars

That does not make sense... 

You have WAY WAY too much faith in the Daily News.

2 cars went on the ground due to the broken rail

4 cars got decoupled and towed back to W4.

I was in the area at the time and I can confirm from the radio chatter that the crew on that train were getting a very difficult time from the customers who didn't want to budge. These customers who are crying about being stranded for 2 hours and that the rescue train left them behind are the ones who took a "wait and see" attitude rather than following the instructions from the crew to walk back.

• Upvote 7

I was in the area at the time and I can confirm from the radio chatter that the crew on that train were getting a very difficult time from the customers who didn't want to budge. These customers who are crying about being stranded for 2 hours and that the rescue train left them behind are the ones who took a "wait and see" attitude rather than following the instructions from the crew to walk back.

How did they get the cars that went on the ground back onto the rails and (presumably) back to the yard?

Foiled by our idiot newspapers again lol, damn! Thanks for the clarification, that wasn't making any sense. 

Did anyone take the rescue train?

Yes, all of the people who actually moved into it. The rescue train didn't just take off empty, but people actually wanted to get home, and many of them (rightfully so) were starting to panic, so they weren't going to wait for the customers who decided to be stubborn to realize that their train was NOT going to move, so it left when everybody who wanted to move got onto it. Those customers who stayed behind eventually moved to the southern-most 4 cars which got reversed back into the station.

Thank god I don't work the (F) , I don't think I could stand "serving" the people who ride that line....

There's a lot of conflicting reports on whether they refused to move or whether the train left without them. I've yet any videos proving either stance.

Thank god I don't work the (F) , I don't think I could stand "serving" the people who ride that line....

hard to believe the subway lines are that different from each other when it comes to clientele, especially as you get closer to Midtown or Downtown Manhattan or Downtown Bklyn. Or LIC.

all the bus operators I have ever known find bus lines to be real different from each other when it comes to clientele and neighborhoods; that has an enormous influence on the assignments they pick...

hard to believe the subway lines are that different from each other when it comes to clientele, especially as you get closer to Midtown or Downtown Manhattan or Downtown Bklyn. Or LIC.

Yep, it's true with subway lines as much as bus routes by line, notable differences.

If you think about it a given line serves different neighborhoods and commercial districts by route so I see what Snowblock is talking about. In this case the (F) in Brooklyn serves major neighborhoods in Brooklyn that has a high percentage of people who are of the hipster urban subculture also 'yuppies'  (the young urban professional) if you look at it objectively, much like the (L) Which is why the percentage of straphangers of that subculture is higher then the local New York 2nd and 3rd gen residents needing access to South Brooklyn further south on the ex BMT Culver elevated section past the viaduct on the IND service.

If a train is Queens bound on the (F) it's the opposite - the crowd is very diverse. That's what I've observed being in New York since birth.

Edited by realizm

Speaking of stuck train, yesterday around 10:30, I was on my way to Atlantic Antic for Tish James Volunteer and to Bus Feast Festival and I made bad judgement at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av when first (F) via (E) came in and we got stuck near 65th St station on express track for 30-45 minutes.

Yes, all of the people who actually moved into it. The rescue train didn't just take off empty, but people actually wanted to get home, and many of them (rightfully so) were starting to panic, so they weren't going to wait for the customers who decided to be stubborn to realize that their train was NOT going to move, so it left when everybody who wanted to move got onto it. Those customers who stayed behind eventually moved to the southern-most 4 cars which got reversed back into the station.

And the people that took the train were stuck for how long?

Speaking of stuck train, yesterday around 10:30, I was on my way to Atlantic Antic for Tish James Volunteer and to Bus Feast Festival and I made bad judgement at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av when first (F) via (E) came in and we got stuck near 65th St station on express track for 30-45 minutes.

What was that about?

And the people that took the train were stuck for how long?

What was that about?

QB sucked yesterday, on the way to Jamaica there was a conga line to 71st on the express tracks since all trains were going express, and there were workers on the local track north of  67th Ave

• Upvote 1