F train comes to a halt when track snaps, leaves 1,300 commuters stranded for two hours

RollOver

How does the rescue train concept work? Do they walk onto the trackbed back into the station, or does a train physically pull up in front/behind it?

A second train pulls up behind (or in front of) the train in need enough where people can walk through the cars into the rescue train

...well in this case, everyone just walked into the back half of the train and that half became the rescue train

I haven't read the official report, so this information is all what I pieced together due to what I heard on the radio, and from other co-workers. They sent a second R-46 behind the disabled one, coupled up to it, and then had the customers walk through until they got onto the second train (this is the one that was signed up as the S to W4). I would estimate it took about a half hour to get most of the people through and then the train reversed back to W4. The customers who refused to move (who seemed to think that if they stayed on that train, it would keep moving towards Brooklyn sooner or later) were the ones "abandoned" when that rescue train left, and were eventually (2 hours later) forced to move into the north 4 cars, which got decoupled (as the south 4 cars couldn't go anywhere until that rail got fixed and the train re-railed) and sent back to W4. From what I heard, these customers decided to organize a protest and there were too many of them for the train crew to force to move, so management finally decided to leave them behind so that they could get the other 800 or so people out of the tunnel and back to W4. I guess they didn't send the rescue train back for a second pickup because by that point there were too many other logistic nightmares to deal with. I can't believe anyone is buying this "they sent a rescue train, but then it left before ANYBODY could get on" story.

The (F) still had Culver service due to southbound trains being routed down 8th Ave from 5-53 to Jay, and also via Crosstown from Roosevelt Ave to Bergen. Some (F) trains ran normal until 14-6, when they got crossed over to B3 and ran via the bridge, 4th Ave, and West End Express.

There is a definitely a diversity of customers depending on the line and borough. When there's a problem with the (L) , the customers will make sarcastic remarks and then run to reddit.com or twitter the moment they get a wifi signal to bitch. When there's a problem with the (F) , the customers will start calling 511 or Marty Markowitz to collectively protest, particularly the Park Slope yuppies. Remember, this is the group who is trying to get an (F) express between Church and Jay, even though it's going to bypass THEIR stations.

Archived