Transit Workers join forces for missing teen

Mtatransit

post-5097-0-99783500-1382711896_thumb.jpg

Amber Arlert for Avante Oquendo

In an unprecedented and monumental effort, hundreds of track workers and maintenance personnel fanned out through the entire subway system searching for the autistic teen, who walked away from his Long Island City school more than a week ago and has not beenseen since. MTA New York City Transit joined in the intensive city-wide search for Avonte Oquendo with the canvassing of hundreds of miles of subway tunnel, all468 subway stations, more than 1,000 maintenance and equipment rooms throughout the system as well as every train yard. This effort is in addition to recorded and live announcements being made in stations and on board trains around the system.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-99783500-1382711896_thumb.jpg

They probably still didnt check 76TH ST...

You think a mute and autistic teenage boy somehow accumulated the drilling materials necessary and conducted a covert operation to knock down the walls and break his way into the unfinished skeleton of 76th St. Station? 

I don't know... the kid's been missing for 12 days with no food and water and is nonverbal.. to me he's either kidnapped, dead, or starving. I hate to be pessimistic but I can't imagine how he's coping being alone for so long...

Those stupid school security guards let him go in the first place.... in the schools where I've been to a lot of the guards don't do smack.. they sit at their desk all day and read the newspaper

Well to a degree, can you blame them? If they were to get into an altercation with the kid (kid tries to fight back) then the parents would probably sue the guard for hitting back or using force to subdue the kid. (not saying this kid would've hit someone, but with how people are so quick to threatening a lawsuit these days....)

I don't know... the kid's been missing for 12 days with no food and water and is nonverbal.. to me he's either kidnapped, dead, or starving. I hate to be pessimistic but I can't imagine how he's coping being alone for so long...

Those stupid school security guards let him go in the first place.... in the schools where I've been to a lot of the guards don't do smack.. they sit at their desk all day and read the newspaper

He's probably been able to get food from candy stands and the like. He is apparently a very friendly, cute kid even though he is non-verbal. 

Well to a degree, can you blame them? If they were to get into an altercation with the kid (kid tries to fight back) then the parents would probably sue the guard for hitting back or using force to subdue the kid. (not saying this kid would've hit someone, but with how people are so quick to threatening a lawsuit these days....)

I see what you mean: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/time-police-nypd-school-cops-article-1.390382

In October 2007, I wrote about shocking reports of kids being humiliated, manhandled, bullied and shackled by school cops in other U.S. cities and predicted that our city was fast approaching the same shameful category as those places where kindergarten children had been handcuffed and arrested.

Only a few weeks after my column appeared, a 5-year-old special needs student named Dennis Rivera was handcuffed and removed from Public School 81 in Ridgewood, Queens.

Handcuffing a 5 year old child? Are they kidding me?

You think a mute and autistic teenage boy somehow accumulated the drilling materials necessary and conducted a covert operation to knock down the walls and break his way into the unfinished skeleton of 76th St. Station? 

This, not to mention I don't think the drilling materials necessary to knock down that type of wall can be bought by anyone.

Even if it was possible for him to get the materials and carry them from the station though the tunnel to the site, I'm sure he would realize its not worth it to possibly spend a couple of years in Jail just to see an abounded station that might not even be there.

Stupid security guards? lol they NEVER enforce kids leaving school early, I don't think schools want to them to either.

However the real cops, NYPD do though.

I took the subway to work today.  At 96th street while waiting for the express train they had an announcement about him. 

From what I heard though, the security guard just told him to go back to class, but that was it.  She didn't follow him or anything so he just went back and left out of a side door.  Ridiculous.

He's probably been able to get food from candy stands and the like. He is apparently a very friendly, cute kid even though he is non-verbal. 

Apparently someone thought they may have spotted him trying to steal some food, but who knows.  He's only 5'3". Didn't realize he was such a little guy.

I took the subway to work today.  At 96th street while waiting for the express train they had an announcement about him. 

From what I heard though, the security guard just told him to go back to class, but that was it.  She didn't follow him or anything so he just went back and left out of a side door.  Ridiculous.

Apparently someone thought they may have spotted him trying to steal some food, but who knows.  He's only 5'3". Didn't realize he was such a little guy.

I was wondering about how he'd obtain food after its been so long. But now the question comes to mind, does he know where he lives? Even though he's autistic, he likes trains so he'd at least know how to get home by train possibly? 

I really dont think this dude is alive people. It is what it is. This is nhow it happens with people gone missing with rare exceptions. Dont kill the messenger, I dont mean this in a pesimistic way, this is how situations like this concludes. No way in the world this kid was not found by now.

crazy....

I sincerly hope I am wrong....

I've been seeing flyers of this missing kid all over the place.... Jokes aside, Is he the kid of someone wealthy or something?

All the missing kids you briefly hear about on fox 5 news or w/e, but none have gotten this much attention over the years....

Why isn't little Avonte given the 10-second-with-the-sad-music-in-the-background treatment....

Crap, the above sounds f***ed up....

Lemme reciprocate the question  - Why don't the other missing kids get as much attention that little Avonte's gotten.....

Hope they find the kid alive though.....

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Most missing kids don't get this much attention. Especially not having at least a hundred new recruits from the NYPD combing through every nick and cranny of a neighborhood. I'm not trying to sound insensitive and I hope they find this kid alive and well, but there's something weird about how everyone's treating this case.

Archived