Tons of Redbirds at Corona Yard?

7LineFan

Anyone know why there are about 15 or 16 Redbirds in Corona Yard today? And not just the R33WF work motors. There are other models too, but they look so similar and I can't see the numbers so I can't tell which mainline version it is (R26/28/29/33/36).

Oh snap, so thats where those Redbirds went. They were at Unionport, then went somewhere else for a supposedly paint job, and now they're at Corona. Thanks for the tip.

Lemme guess... you're going to the boardwalk right now to get them? There's four up front, and then a whole train behind the work platform. I got crappy camera phone pics, but I don't know how to load them to my computer so... :confused:

Lemme guess... you're going to the boardwalk right now to get them? There's four up front, and then a whole train behind the work platform. I got crappy camera phone pics, but I don't know how to load them to my computer so... :confused:

Not now. Maybe tomorrow. Sun direction would be wrong if I go now, even though like maybe between 6:30 - 8 PM it would make for great shots.

Not now. Maybe tomorrow. Sun direction would be wrong if I go now, even though like maybe between 6:30 - 8 PM it would make for great shots.

I hope they're still there Tuesday... I have tickets for the US Open day session, and I'm gonna see if I can get some pics of them if they're still there.

1st off: Anyone going to the boardwalk from now until September 7th better be careful if you are photographing the idle trains or buses. NYPD patrols that area very heavily. I got stopped there a few years ago when the R17 was sitting idle in the yard. All turned out fine with the cops and whatnot. They were just following protocols.

1st off: Anyone going to the boardwalk from now until September 7th better be careful if you are photographing the idle trains or buses. NYPD patrols that area very heavily. I got stopped there a few years ago when the R17 was sitting idle in the yard. All turned out fine with the cops and whatnot. They were just following protocols.

I take photos when i'm out that way all the time, there are a lot of cops, but only because when i'm there there's a game going on. They never bother me. I am going to the game on the 10th. If they are still there i'll get fotos & post in another thread.

- Andy

Any car #'s? Last I'd heard those redbirds from Unionport were in CI, some painted, some waiting to be painted...but that was almost a week ago...

Couldn't see the car numbers. I'm going out there Tuesday for the US Open, see if they're still there.

Ah, let me know and I'll let you know if its the same 10 cars from Unionport.

Only problem is, all but four of the cars were behind the work platform (looking out towards the yard, from the boardwalk) in the yard. I'm not gonna be able to see them anyway... but I could probably get you the two non R33WFs close to the boardwalk. That is, if they're still there.

Only problem is, all but four of the cars were behind the work platform (looking out towards the yard, from the boardwalk) in the yard. I'm not gonna be able to see them anyway... but I could probably get you the two non R33WFs close to the boardwalk. That is, if they're still there.

I know its a bit far off but i will get photos when i go to the game on the 10th. I will get "nice" shots then i'll focus specifically on car numbers. I will be arriving at shea at around 5 pm so if anyone wants to meet me there PM me & we can take some IRT and bus photos! :)

- Andy

I can't speak for Corona Yard but on my way to work on the (5) this morning, I saw a set of Redbirds at the Unionport Yard. I couldn't make out the numbers cause there was a set of R142's blocking the numbers but they were definately in the yard.

I know im late, but since I do live near the Union Port/ East 180 Maintence shop and yard, gonna check if the R33 are there if not then Ill know those moved to corona

The set from Unionport that was sent to CI for paint was 8 R36 WF's and 2 R29's

Anything else you see we're talking about a different set...

The set from Unionport that was sent to CI for paint was 8 R36 WF's and 2 R29's

Anything else you see we're talking about a different set...

oh sorry and thanks for the clear, and why does it need a paint job? For museum or Work train?

oh sorry and thanks for the clear, and why does it need a paint job? For museum or Work train?

Needs a paint job b/c the paint is badly faded and peeling and those cars are stored Outdoors all the time which doesn't help things. Plus the R36's are WF cars with the big windows, which can leak around the edges of the windows and the sign boxes causing carbody damage and rust, a couple of the set do have that issue, here's a pic pre paint from about a week ago to prove my point:

1zxuyi8.jpg

As for what they plan to use that train for, not 100% sure on that. The R36's have run with the rail adhesion train in the past, but they still have their passenger configuration on the interior, no crew lockers, tables, or removed benches...and of course they're still redbirds unlike the rail adhesion cars.

Also worth noting is that those R36's were from the last redbird revenue service run on the (7) line...

Archived