R32 Retiring Soon (Feel free to add photos & videos)

Daniel The Cool

u and i have a lot in common. you said on RD that you would avoid the R32s as much as possible just like how i avoid the R42s and R44s as much as i can, by not riding the (A)(E). does that mean you will avoid the (C)? your excuse for wanting the R32s to go first is poor. saying a car needs to retire just because it is old is like saying you want everyone to die at a certain age. i have good reasons why i despise the R42s and R44s and they are pretty much the same reasons why the general public hates them.

I believe that all of you here who claim to hate specific car types should really grow the f**k up. I don't want to attack any individual or use any verbal vulgarity, but I am just fed up with this nonsense on how people avoid entire lines just because of the rolling stock it has.

And how can you claim the general public hates the R42s and R44s? Why not run a survey on those millions of individuals who ride the subway everyday and ask them which cars they hate. And I bet that 3/4s of them don't even know what an R42 is.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I heard it will be R40M or R42 will retire last.

Neither car can run on the (C) due to customer complaints. The R32 is the only retiring car that can do so, so it will be the last to retire in order to provide the cars for (C) service.

and from what i heard, the general public hates the R42s, so if (NYCT) wants to satisfy its riders, which i highly doubt they will, they should get rid of those rusted tin cans first. seriously, R32s have a slightly higher MDBF than the R42s, but i was told R40 slants and R38s have the highest and yet, they are going first.

Will you PLEASE stop referring to 40 ton subway cars as rusted tin cans?

And here is the real MDBF -

R32 - 112,550

R38 - 137,940

R40 - 121,793

R42 - 111,890

The cars are being retired by both how they perform structurally and mechanically. The R40s and R38s are rusting the most, and the Phase II R32s had the most mechanical problems. That is why those cars were going first. After this, the R42s will probably go next.

BTW, what is your handle on RD?

there are still some Phase II R32s at Concourse that have not been stripped nor reefed yet. if anything, i hope (NYCT) does the right thing and temporarily put them back into service

u and i have a lot in common. you said on RD that you would avoid the R32s as much as possible just like how i avoid the R42s and R44s as much as i can, by not riding the (A)(E). does that mean you will avoid the (C)? your excuse for wanting the R32s to go first is poor. saying a car needs to retire just because it is old is like saying you want everyone to die at a certain age. i have good reasons why i despise the R42s and R44s and they are pretty much the same reasons why the general public hates them.

that is totally bad news. i used to love the (E) since it was the only line using those cars. now i avoid it as much as i can unless i am lucky enough to catch that R32 or R160. i hate the R42s just like everyone else does.

Good reasons? Yeah right. So what if they're the same reasons the general public likes them, they don't know anything about the subway. You only don't like subway cars because they are "rusted tin cans". And who are you to say everyone hates the R42s? Most people who ride the (E) don't even care.

I believe that all of you here who claim to hate specific car types should really grow the f**k up. I don't want to attack any individual or use any verbal vulgarity, but I am just fed up with this nonsense on how people avoid entire lines just because of the rolling stock it has.

And how can you claim the general public hates the R42s and R44s? Why not run a survey on those millions of individuals who ride the subway everyday and ask them which cars they hate. And I bet that 3/4s of them don't even know what an R42 is.

I agree just because a subway car you don't like come dosen't mean you have to avoid it. The only reason I ride the R68/R68As on the (;)(D)(Q) lines because those are the subway cars that always come and come on FlushingExpress thats redicolus for you to avoid the (E) just because it uses R42's.

I agree just because a subway car you don't like come dosen't mean you have to avoid it. The only reason I ride the R68/R68As on the (;)(D)(Q) lines because those are the subway cars that always come and come on FlushingExpress thats redicolus for you to avoid the (E) just because it uses R42's.

I mean really... the subway is not all about WHICH CARS PEOPLE LIKE, it's about getting to people from A to B in the shortest time possible. I mean, I know the older cars are crap, but when I ride it I just ignore the appearance and perhaps, the performance. It doesn't kill just to ride in the car you "hate".

Neither car can run on the (C) due to customer complaints. The R32 is the only retiring car that can do so, so it will be the last to retire in order to provide the cars for (C) service.

Will you PLEASE stop referring to 40 ton subway cars as rusted tin cans?

And here is the real MDBF -

R32 - 112,550

R38 - 137,940

R40 - 121,793

R42 - 111,890

The cars are being retired by both how they perform structurally and mechanically. The R40s and R38s are rusting the most, and the Phase II R32s had the most mechanical problems. That is why those cars were going first. After this, the R42s will probably go next.

BTW, what is your handle on RD?

Good reasons? Yeah right. So what if they're the same reasons the general public likes them, they don't know anything about the subway. You only don't like subway cars because they are "rusted tin cans". And who are you to say everyone hates the R42s? Most people who ride the (E) don't even care.

(E) rider's Hate The R42's, They can't stand them, I never seen an (E) rider say we like these cars, When an R160 or an R32 pop up at jamaica center, They will run like its a milloion dollars for those trains, Alot of people complain about the R42's, even the (R) riders complained about the R42's, and I have never heard (R) riders complain before.

(E) rider's Hate The R42's, They can't stand them, I never seen an (E) rider say we like these cars, When an R160 or an R32 pop up at jamaica center, They will run like its a milloion dollars for those trains, Alot of people complain about the R42's, even the (R) riders complained about the R42's, and I have never heard (R) riders complain before.

Go ahead and conduct a survey at every station asking the passengers what trains they hate. We would like to hear your results.

so the R42s have the lowest MDBF of all of them? that means they need to go now! when i see an R42 (E) trains, its riders do not look very happy. (A) riders are used to the R44s, so i really cannot say anything about them. my view on RD is full of crap. i used to have an account there, but i left when i joined myspace, facebook, and youtube. the members on RD are very childish and easily got into disagreements and arguments. i got fed up and left there and am on the brink of leaving here if i continue to get scolded just for expressing my opinions.

so the R42s have the lowest MDBF of all of them? that means they need to go now! when i see an R42 (E) trains, its riders do not look very happy. (A) riders are used to the R44s, so i really cannot say anything about them. my view on RD is full of crap. i used to have an account there, but i left when i joined myspace, facebook, and youtube. the members on RD are very childish and easily got into disagreements and arguments. i got fed up and left there and am on the brink of leaving here if i continue to get scolded just for expressing my opinions.

Since when do (E) riders look happy on any train?

And I agree about RD, the place has really gotten out of control in the past few months. What's your posting name there? 7 express?

And I agree about RD, the place has really gotten out of control in the past few months. What's your posting name there? 7 express?

If a train is on time and not crowded, then they are happy.

As for RD, IMO, that place is a bit more than a ratcage with those bloody threads circulating it.

i do not remember my username there because i have not logged in for over two years. i think it starts with "cherry" or something, not transit related.

I bet you've never any E rider say they hate these cars either.

I live in Jamaica too. There is no jump for joy when a R160 shows up as apposed to a R42/R40M.

E riders are only happy when they can get a seat. E ridership has increased to the point where it's rare for you to get a seat at Jamaica Center unless you know EXACTLY where the train doors will be and you stand directly at the platform edge.

You gotta get your boguarding skills on most mornings.

As you can see from my Transit Forum nickname "R32 Anthony," I am heartbroken to see the R32's go. When I log onto http://www.nycsubways.org and see the R32's stripped and on barges, it make me sick. I remember the R32's original look. It had a blue interior and straphangers. The front had the route and terminal, as well as local and express markers on top. In 1989, they were rebuilt, but lost some attractiveness. Nevertheless, it still is a great train. There are still quite a few R32's left. Does anyone know if they are still on the (E)? I remember riding them on all lines except: (H), (K), (J), (M), (S), (T), (V), (Z) and (JFK). I seen pictures of them on the QJ- now the (J) train, (M), (S), (T), (V) and even the (Z) lines. I just hope if they are going to "retire" the R32's, stop stripping any more and keep them for fan trips and other uses. (The same goes for our buddies: R38's, R40's, and the R42's. The oldies but goodies club.)

As you can see from my Transit Forum nickname "R32 Anthony," I am heartbroken to see the R32's go. When I log onto http://www.nycsubways.org and see the R32's stripped and on barges, it make me sick. I remember the R32's original look. It had a blue interior and straphangers. The front had the route and terminal, as well as local and express markers on top. In 1989, they were rebuilt, but lost some attractiveness. Nevertheless, it still is a great train. There are still quite a few R32's left. Does anyone know if they are still on the (E)? I remember riding them on all lines except: (H), (K), (J), (M), (S), (T), (V), (Z) and (JFK). I seen pictures of them on the QJ- now the (J) train, (M), (S), (T), (V) and even the (Z) lines. I just hope if they are going to "retire" the R32's, stop stripping any more and keep them for fan trips and other uses. (The same goes for our buddies: R38's, R40's, and the R42's. The oldies but goodies club.)

Post 9-11-01, I remember seeing an 8-Car R-32 (M) Train layup in Coney Island Yard. It had to be sometime in Early October of 2001, when the (M) ran via 4 Av/Sea Beach Local (replacing the suspended (N)).

The rollsign read:

Metropolitan Av,

Queens

-----------------

Stillwell Avenue

Coney Island

-----------------

(M) Myrtle Av /

Nassau St

Im not sure if it ever ran, but it was signed up as the (M) ready to go.

Zach

I recall seeing the V with R32s, this was scene during the aftermath of the Chambers Street signal room fire that knocked out the C.

Archived