Black teen sues Barney's claiming racism

Via Garibaldi 8

Barneys accused teen of using fake debit card for $349 belt because he's a ‘young black American male’: lawsuit

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/barneys-accused-stealing-black-teen-article-1.1493101

belt23n-12-web.jpg

A black teenager is shopping for justice — claiming snooty Barneys staffers and New York City cops racially profiled him for credit card fraud after he bought a $349 belt.

Trayon Christian, 19, told the Daily News he filed a lawsuit after he was targeted by staffers at Barneys’ Madison Ave. flagship store and detained by police because they didn’t believe a young black man could possibly afford to buy such an expensive belt.

The fashion-forward teen, who lives with his mom in Corona, Queens, is studying engineering at the New York City College of Technology, where he had a work-study job.

Christian said his paycheck had just been direct deposited into his Chase bank account, so he went straight to Barneys on the afternoon of April 29 to buy the pricey Ferragamo belt with a silver buckle and a reversible black and white strap.

“I knew exactly what I wanted,” Christian said. He’d seen the belt on a lot of his favorite celebrities, including rapper Juelz Santana.

He said he’d browsed the ritzy rags at Barneys before but had never bought anything at the store.

“It was a quick trip. I gave them my debit card, I signed my name,” he said.

According to his lawsuit, the clerk asked Christian to show his ID, which he did.

“I showed my state ID,” he told The News.

But he got no more than a block from the store when two undercover NYPD detectives stopped him near E. 60th St., the lawsuit said.

“They said my card wasn’t real, it was fake. They said someone at Barneys called to report it,” said Christian.

The male detectives — whose names he never learned — asked to see ID and look in his bag, he said.

They also asked him if he worked, and where.

“I showed them my school ID and my driver’s license,” said Christian, who was 18 when the incident allegedly occurred.

“I kept thinking, ‘Why is this happening to me?’” he said.

“The detectives were asking me, ‘How could you afford a belt like this? Where did you get this money from?’” he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/barneys-accused-stealing-black-teen-article-1.1493101#ixzz2iZnZkeay

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been shopping in luxury department stores here in NYC since I was 23 or 24 and I can see this happening, solely because of the way this kid dresses and the fact that he's a dark skinned black male and nothing more.  I've shopped at Barneys on several occasions and never had a problem.  In fact, it's funny because I'm wearing a Brioni tie that I bought from there back in 2011.  The last time I went there I made a quick purchase. 3 Brioni ties at $150.00 a pop.  Paid with my Amex and was out of the store in probably 10 minutes.  The sales clerk didn't give me a problem at all and was more than helpful.  In fact I've made plenty of purchases there over the years and never had a problem, but the thing is they do stereotype and profile.  I think if I went into that store dressed like this guy and of his hue I would probably have issues as well.  It's unfortunate but that's the case.  

I often times get sales folks act almost like my personal shopper.  I had a chick like that in Bloomingdales.  We usually chat about what I do and I'm on my way.

As far as which stores are the snobbiest, I'd say Bergdorf & Goodman is probably the worse.  It's geared more towards older well off types.  Saks is snobby too and in fact I would expect this in Bergdorf or Saks before Barneys.

Someone remind me what that movie was called… there were expensive cars on sale and two guys (one white and one black) are walking around the place dressed like "commoners" while everyone else had suits on. One of the staff went up to the black guy and asked him what kind of business could he possibly have and started talking down to him. In the end, the black guy bought all of cars and then asked for all of the clothes he was wearing as a trophy as well.

I should try this.

To say them accusing him of using the fake card is racist is the usual race card BS, the store's assets protection could have done some investigating and determined it to be a potentially fake/copied card even after it was approved at the register (they probably keep a close eye on the purchases since, as the article states, the store has a problem with card fraud). Once they figured out the card may be fake, the guy probably left the store which is why the cops were called and he was not stopped in-store by AP. Now, if the detectives really asked him how he could afford it and where he got the money (which would not surprise me one bit) then that could very well have been out of the detectives' racial bias, or just a typical attempt to get the person to say the wrong thing so they can put him behind bars. From my own experience, a police detective will say and do absolutely anything get you to "admit your guilt", their job is to throw you behind bars at all costs, white or black, actually guilty or actually innocent, whoever you are. (I have been accused of being a terrorist by Port Authority detectives for taking pictures and I could tell that the questions I was being asked by them were being asked on purpose so I end up saying the wrong thing and they get a successful charge)

NYPD detaining him at the precinct actually seemed to be necessary and valid in this situation, he was being investigated for credit card fraud. They and store AP had to make phone calls to the card companies to determine the card was not fake before they could let him leave.

To say them accusing him of using the fake card is racist is the usual race card BS, the store's assets protection could have done some investigating and determined it to be a potentially fake/copied card even after it was approved at the register (they probably keep a close eye on the purchases since, as the article states, the store has a problem with card fraud). Once they figured out the card may be fake, the guy probably left the store which is why the cops were called and he was not stopped in-store by AP. Now, if the detectives really asked him how he could afford it and where he got the money (which would not surprise me one bit) then that could very well have been out of the detectives' racial bias, or just a typical attempt to get the person to say the wrong thing so they can put him behind bars. From my own experience, a police detective will say and do absolutely anything get you to "admit your guilt", their job is to throw you behind bars at all costs, white or black, actually guilty or actually innocent, whoever you are. (I have been accused of being a terrorist by Port Authority detectives for taking pictures and I could tell that the questions I was being asked by them were being asked on purpose so I end up saying the wrong thing and they get a successful charge)

NYPD detaining him at the precinct actually seemed to be necessary and valid in this situation, he was being investigated for credit card fraud. They and store AP had to make phone calls to the card companies to determine the card was not fake before they could let him leave.

I bet you a million dollars that a well-dressed white kid of his age goes in there, blows a couple hundred, and walks out with no questions asked.

Also, people who say "the race card" are wrong 99.9% of the time.

LOL... My Amex card has a fraud alert on it and one time I was in Nordstrom buying some pants at the Garden State Plaza  I don't shop in New Jersey often so that's probably why the clerk had to call Amex and then put me on the phone to confirm the purchase.  I think it was $700.00 or so but it only takes maybe 5 minutes at the most to do that.  I'm still curious as to what was so "fradulent" about the purchase if he used a debit card and signed?  

I think the only reason the clerk considered his card to be fradulent is because he's a dark skinned young black male and the way he was dressed didn't make things any better.  I have to admit that $350.00 is a bit ridiculous for a belt, reversible or not.  The most I pay for belts is $150.00 and they last for YEARS.  Good quality, American, Italian or Spanish made.  Ferragamo is overpriced and quality wise isn't that great but of course this kid didn't know that.  

Young kids going to luxury stores can't just walk in unfortunately.  Appearance is always looked at in these types of stores (as in how you are dressed, what type of credit or charge cards you have, etc. - it's all about status and image) and going and buying a $350.00 belt on a debit card could be considered "suspicious" unfortunately because high end folks usually just use charge cards or high end credit cards or if anything, they'll use cash perhaps, but usually not a debit card dressed like a young thug as I'm sure this guy was perceived based on the photos of him and how he's dressed.   

I bet you a million dollars that a well-dressed white kid of his age goes in there, blows a couple hundred, and walks out with no questions asked.

Also, people who say "the race card" are wrong 99.9% of the time.

Most likely AP probably was keeping an eye on the cards being used across the store for fraud, once they saw a potential fraud they got the guy's description and called 911. 

Most likely AP probably was keeping an eye on the cards being used across the store for fraud, once they saw a potential fraud they got the guy's description and called 911. 

What the f**k is a "potential fraud"? Everything in the world is a potential fraud...doesn't mean anything's actually fraudulent. Don't bring in that bullshit police doublespeak. They saw a black kid spending money and that was suspicious, so they called the cops. That's that. 

What the f**k is a "potential fraud"? Everything in the world is a potential fraud...doesn't mean anything's actually fraudulent. Don't bring in that bullshit police doublespeak. They saw a black kid spending money and that was suspicious, so they called the cops. That's that. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MHV.  I've been shopping in luxury stores for a while now and I know how they operate.  The worst by far is Bergdorf Goodman and the security guards will help create the environment that says that "certain people" shouldn't be shopping in this store.  I've had some sales folks give me their cards and follow up with me via e-mail on when certain things were coming out.  In other words they knew I could afford the items so I was treated with respect.  This kid on the other hand, this clerk displayed a snobby attitude and did this solely to tell him indirectly that he shouldn't be shopping in that store, period. lol I've seen this firsthand in Saks as a matter of fact.

Even some of the people that work in some of these stores are treated like dirt (particularly black men).  The last time I was in Saks I went there to buy some Italian dress shirts.  A black male (perhaps African) came over to assist me.  A white middle aged male who was a higher up in Saks (perhaps his manager) talked down to him in such a demeaning manner that it was obvious how he felt about him.  Some of these luxury department stores have clichés if you will and everyone has "their place".  The same thing applies with customers too.  You're either a regular there who knows the sale folks by name and is greeted, someone like myself who shops in the stores on occasion (I prefer online shopping myself, hence why I only shop in Bloomies and such on occasion) but who earns respect and is greeted and assisted because they know I can afford what I'm buying, or folks like this kid who was clearly scorned.

Something could have gone wrong with the computer system that could have caused the card to show as suspicious/fake. He could also have set up a fraud alert on the card with his bank.

I've been around there and there's plenty of black people going in, walking around, spending money, walking out with things and there's no hassles from the cops or AP unless someone's doing something wrong.

PS: Not saying racial profiling doesn't exist in these stores. I just don't see it here.

Something could have gone wrong with the computer system that could have caused the card to show as suspicious/fake. He could also have set up a fraud alert on the card with his bank.

I've been around there and there's plenty of black people going in, walking around, spending money, walking out with things and there's no hassles from the cops or AP unless someone's doing something wrong.

PS: Not saying racial profiling doesn't exist in these stores. I just don't see it here.

I would agree with you to an extent.  I've shopped at Barneys numerous times and I've never seen anyone mistreated.  However, the store does have that "air" if you will of snobbiness, but I am rather surprised that this happened, though I personally feel that it probably did happen just from what I've seen in other luxury stores.  Barneys out of all of the luxury department stores is one of those stores with the least amount of snob appeal.  It used to rank high on everyone's list, but personally over the years, I've found their selections to be lacking and not nearly as exclusive as Saks or Bloomingdales.

The thing is though, due to their decline in terms of appeal, they may be trying to create a sense of "exclusiveness" by becoming more snobby.  This is all part of the shopping experience in some of those high end stores to attract a certain type of clientele, which is those who spend serious money (as in thousands) not a few hundred dollars.  $350.00 though expensive for a belt is considered a "small purchase". lol

Someone remind me what that movie was called… there were expensive cars on sale and two guys (one white and one black) are walking around the place dressed like "commoners" while everyone else had suits on. One of the staff went up to the black guy and asked him what kind of business could he possibly have and started talking down to him. In the end, the black guy bought all of cars and then asked for all of the clothes he was wearing as a trophy as well.

I should try this.

That was Fast 6.

--

Anyways something similar happened to me and a friend last year when we were 24 years of age.  Walked into a Mercedes dealership and was on the verge of purchasing a pre-owned vehicle.  He was almost denied access to test drive the car and we both were given looks as if we didn't have enough money for anything.  All in all, after all the disruptions and verbal confrontations, we were finally able to get the car with some slight benefits from the dealership.

That was Fast 6.

--

Anyways something similar happened to me and a friend last year when we were 24 years of age.  Walked into a Mercedes dealership and was on the verge of purchasing a pre-owned vehicle.  He was almost denied access to test drive the car and we both were given looks as if we didn't have enough money for anything.  All in all, after all the disruptions and verbal confrontations, we were finally able to get the car with some slight benefits from the dealership.

lol... Verbal confrontations huh... I'd love to hear what exactly was said though I could imagine what was said...

You want to test this car? Then the look of disbelief, etc. :lol:

---

This was posted by Barney's from their Facebook page:

The following statement can be attributed to a Barneys New York spokesperson:

“Barneys New York typically does not comment on pending litigation. In this instance, we feel compelled to note that after carefully reviewing the incident of last April, it is clear that no employee of Barneys New York was involved in the pursuit of any action with the individual other than the sale. Barneys New York has zero tolerance for any form of discrimination and we stand by our long history in support of all human rights.”

From what I gather the staff at the store were attempting to deter him from making a purchase, and/or trying to get out a "confession". Either could be interpreted as profiling at the very least, though the consensus seems to be in agreement that this was a racially motivated situation. The fact that PD was called after the purchase supports this theory greatly.

On question though, if Christian had made the purchase already on which grounds did PD stop him on? What charges could be applied? Right none. Absolutely none!

Well, Mr. Christian has it made for the next few years, courtesy of Barneys New York and the NYPD, all because some baseless profiling. Let this serve as a future lesson for storekeepers and workers with an agenda.

From what I gather the staff at the store were attempting to deter him from making a purchase, and/or trying to get out a "confession". Either could be interpreted as profiling at the very least, though the consensus seems to be in agreement that this was a racially motivated situation. The fact that PD was called after the purchase supports this theory greatly.

On question though, if Christian had made the purchase already on which grounds did PD stop him on? What charges could be applied? Right none. Absolutely none!

Well, Mr. Christian has it made for the next few years, courtesy of Barneys New York and the NYPD, all because some baseless profiling. Let this serve as a future lesson for storekeepers and workers with an agenda.

I'm not sure he has it made quite yet. What laws are on the books to support his case?

I'm not sure he has it made quite yet. What laws are on the books to support his case?

Easily the arrest and detainment can be deemed wrongful. On the same token the other side really has nothing to build a defense of any allegations.

Now, in all honesty this has a good chance of being settled out of court, however should this go to court I'd say Christian would have a better chance.

Easily the arrest and detainment can be deemed wrongful. On the same token the other side really has nothing to build a defense of any allegations.

Now, in all honesty this has a good chance of being settled out of court, however should this go to court I'd say Christian would have a better chance.

We'll see hpw this unfolds, but given the little trouble he's gotten, I'm not sure he'd be set for life if any money came out of this.

You want to test this car? Then the look of disbelief, etc. :lol:

Something like that, let's just say there was a lot of sarcasm in our tones.

Just on a side note... I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on a strip of leather.

Different tastes for different people, other people won't spend more money on computer parts or even cars for that matter.

From what I gather the staff at the store were attempting to deter him from making a purchase, and/or trying to get out a "confession". 

Problem with that is, the AP guys at these stores are usually powertripping cop wannabes who won't let their "target" get away if it meant their lives. I've heard of them even hopping turnstiles on the subway to get their perp. If they had the guy he would NOT be able to leave, especially in Barney's. Even if the AP guys weren't like that they'd still keep him in the store.

Problem with that is, the AP guys at these stores are usually powertripping cop wannabes who won't let their "target" get away if it meant their lives. I've heard of them even hopping turnstiles on the subway to get their perp. If they had the guy he would NOT be able to leave, especially in Barney's. Even if the AP guys weren't like that they'd still keep him in the store.

I would hope that you and everyone else reading knows that any private security serving as Asset Protection, Loss Prevention, etc. under definition are very limited in what they can legally do. Perusing someone, detaining someone by force, directly entering contact with someone, leaving the building are just some forbidden offenses that are more common than you think.

If their AP actually detained him he'd still have a valid case against them.

I would hope that you and everyone else reading knows that any private security serving as Asset Protection, Loss Prevention, etc. under definition are very limited in what they can legally do. Perusing someone, detaining someone by force, directly entering contact with someone, leaving the building are just some forbidden offenses that are more common than you think.

If their AP actually detained him he'd still have a valid case against them.

I'm not saying anything they do is right, but they do it. That's why I'm surprised the APs at Barney's of all places would let this guy go if they had him.

Just a quick 2 cents. It appears that the NYPD has some sort of undercover squad assigned to the "upscale" stores investigating fraud. I've heard of NYPD posting people in banks during a rash of robberies but I've never heard of them staking out something like Barneys. Are they scoping out Bloomingdale's and the like? Don't these private businesses have their own security ? At first glance this tactic, if true, seems to be a waste of NYC taxpayer's money and personnel.

Just a quick 2 cents. It appears that the NYPD has some sort of undercover squad assigned to the "upscale" stores investigating fraud. I've heard of NYPD posting people in banks during a rash of robberies but I've never heard of them staking out something like Barneys. Are they scoping out Bloomingdale's and the like? Don't these private businesses have their own security ? At first glance this tactic, if true, seems to be a waste of NYC taxpayer's money and personnel.

I was wondering the same thing. I know people who reported stolen credit cards, and the thieves were able to still make purchases in stores without getting stopped by any cops. 

Also, maybe the story was incorrect, but I remember work study jobs as paying directly for my college tuition, I never saw a cent of that money in my own pocket!

Archived