Black teen sues Barney's claiming racism

Via Garibaldi 8

I'm thinking it was saved up for because she couldn't get a credit card to begin with.  lol

Credit card companies don't give out credit cards the way that they used to.  When I was in college, they would literally come on to the campus to recruit you.  Hell I had three credit cards and I was still in college.  I kid you not.  Now you need to have some sort of credit history which of course most kids aren't going to have since they usually aren't working regularly.  What some parents do now is put them on their credit which allows the kids to establish credit assuming that the parents have good credit to begin with.

Yeah, I almost got a secured card recently... I got approved but added 2k extra to my income...

Decided not to go with the card. Have no need for it yet.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I almost got a secured card recently... I got approved but added 2k extra to my income...

Decided not to go with the card. Have no need for it yet.

Well there are ways to establish credit without getting a credit card per se.  You can look into credit unions where you build up your credit with your own money.

Well there are ways to establish credit without getting a credit card per se.  You can look into credit unions where you build up your credit with your own money.

i used to be part of one, but they are some what scarce here.

Let me look into it again.

Credit card companies don't give out credit cards the way that they used to.  When I was in college, they would literally come on to the campus to recruit you.  Hell I had three credit cards and I was still in college.  I kid you not.  Now you need to have some sort of credit history which of course most kids aren't going to have since they usually aren't working regularly.  What some parents do now is put them on their credit which allows the kids to establish credit assuming that the parents have good credit to begin with.

I would be inclined to agree had I not visited a bank earlier and just gotten approved for a card. What did the bank employee do to get it for me? Bullshit the income, occupation, etc. They get commission, and I get a card with very useful benefits. Of course, we both knew that I had the money, but the fact that in this day and age bank employees would be so willing to bullshit applications to get their clients what they wanted makes me wonder if stricter regulations did anything since the recession.

Koreans in general can't stand black ppl's guts, yet they got hair care places all up in dominantly black neighborhoods.... Where's the racial discrimination from them? Won't see it happen, because they're not that f'n stupid! Siphoning MILLIONS of dollars out of the black collective (aint no community), and you get 2 instances of racism from this Barney's place.... Real Bright.

I'm not up on these high end ass fashion stores, but you can bet the next high-end white-washed establishment of sorts will GLADLY accept GREEN from this wave of black women & fashionista type, estrogen-dominant ass dudes roaming around here.... There's racism & there is just plain ole everyday stupidity..... Good job Barney's, you've displayed both......

Not exactly true in the overall sense of race relations between blacks and Asians. Dude, don't believe the hype!!! Not all Asians are white driven, simply they are in the minority those who are very openminded out there in this world. Search harder, they are there, partner.

If you see the blogs and also what I am expressing from personal encounters with persons I have met, there are in the minority many Koreans, Japanese and even Chinese who have respect and adminration for Afro-Americans who particularly led the struggle during the civil rights movement. Historically many of the Black Panthers were actually Japanese matter of fact. In Japan and Korea many Asian women in particular are into Hip Hop culture and have this facination with Black men. There are (depite what census statistics say on rates of IR marriage by ethnicity) many Afro-Asian families which exist, particularly where the spouse is Japanese and the other is Black, both professionals and doing extremely well, with kids.

There are many black men who are holding incredibly successful careers in Japan and Korea, married to Asian women with kids. Because many Asians know that contrary to popular belief there are plenty of successful black men out there.  I've met many of such families personally and given them kind words of support in a world full of hate. Contrary to what the haters want you to believe, such ones are accepted in Asian societies as mentioned as long as the black man understands the language and culture.

You dont have to take my word for it, there are plenty of youtube videos and pics even that explain the myth as not true in the sense that there are indeed many blacks and Asians who are trooping together, in the US and abroad. I sincerely understand your fustrations as seen in your post but there is a huge expection to that rule concerning racial dynamics in the United States and again abroad even. Not all Asians are reverse racists. Heck you are reading this post written from one.

All these facts mentioned should hold true to the fact and PROVE  that yes Asian-black race relations are not as despondant as you may think!

Pictures can tell a story louder than words:

Capture_zps13e3119a.png

I would be inclined to agree had I not visited a bank earlier and just gotten approved for a card. What did the bank employee do to get it for me? Bullshit the income, occupation, etc. They get commission, and I get a card with very useful benefits. Of course, we both knew that I had the money, but the fact that in this day and age bank employees would be so willing to bullshit applications to get their clients what they wanted makes me wonder if stricter regulations did anything since the recession.

Well you still have a job and I would assume decent credit so in that case they may fudge the numbers, but if you're poor with no credit history, they're less likely to consider you.  Predatory lending still exists of course but it isn't as rampant as it was before the housing meltdown.

Not exactly true in the overall sense of race relations between blacks and Asians. Dude, don't believe the hype!!! Not all Asians are white driven, simply they are in the minority those who are very openminded out there in this world. Search harder, they are there, partner.

If you see the blogs and also what I am expressing from personal encounters with persons I have met, there are in the minority many Koreans, Japanese and even Chinese who have respect and adminration for Afro-Americans who particularly led the struggle during the civil rights movement. Historically many of the Black Panthers were actually Japanese matter of fact. In Japan and Korea many Asian women in particular are into Hip Hop culture and have this facination with Black men. There are (depite what census statistics say on rates of IR marriage by ethnicity) many Afro-Asian families which exist, particularly where the spouse is Japanese and the other is Black, both professionals and doing extremely well, with kids.

There are many black men who are holding incredibly successful careers in Japan and Korea, married to Asian women with kids. Because many Asians know that contrary to popular belief there are plenty of successful black men out there.  I've met many of such families personally and given them kind words of support in a world full of hate. Contrary to what the haters want you to believe, such ones are accepted in Asian societies as mentioned as long as the black man understands the language and culture.

You dont have to take my word for it, there are plenty of youtube videos and pics even that explain the myth as not true in the sense that there are indeed many blacks and Asians who are trooping together, in the US and abroad. I sincerely understand your fustrations as seen in your post but there is a huge expection to that rule concerning racial dynamics in the United States and again abroad even. Not all Asians are reverse racists. Heck you are reading this post written from one.

All these facts mentioned should hold true to the fact and PROVE  that yes Asian-black race relations are not as despondant as you may think!

Pictures can tell a story louder than words:

Capture_zps13e3119a.png

You're lumping Asians together when in fact race relations with each group of Asians and Blacks can vary.  He said Koreans, not Japanese. I've found Japanese folks to be far less racist than Koreans.  I'd say the Koreans from my experiences can be more closed, snotty and cold followed by the Chinese.  Then you have the Indians from various places that can be pretty closed as well with Blacks.  Heck the Koreans out of all of the groups I'd say are the most closed in that they don't even want to mingle with whites.  There was an article out not that long ago about a Korean club right in Midtown that was trying to uphold a Korean admittance policy, trying to not allow Whites, Blacks or anyone else who wasn't Korean into club.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/06/29/are-nightclubs-allowed-be-racist

^^^ Understood, but feel free to reread my post. I've mentioned Koreans in the reply. Paragraph 2. Thank you.

I didn't say all Koreans were racist. I have a few Korean friends myself who are very cool.  I just know how they operate, and generally speaking, they don't like mingling outside of their circle of Koreans.  The younger Koreans are changing things a bit but traditionally speaking that's the deal.  There are some Koreans and Japanese here in Riverdale and out of the two, I find the Koreans to be far more standoffish and snobby with any group, not just Blacks.

Keep in mind that Asian attitudes are also extremely generational - many older Asians are every "-ist" and "-phobic" in the book, but Asian American children (esp in this city) tend to Americanize very quickly.

^This. For some reason, Chase won't let people with no credit history obtain credit cards, even if they already have had bank accounts there for years. On the other hand, BofA hands out credit cards to kids like candy, but the terms on BofA cards are really crappy.

I've also noticed after departing for college that there aren't many Chase branches outside New York. Everything seems to be BofA.

Keep in mind that Asian attitudes are also extremely generational - many older Asians are every "-ist" and "-phobic" in the book, but Asian American children (esp in this city) tend to Americanize very quickly.

^This. For some reason, Chase won't let people with no credit history obtain credit cards, even if they already have had bank accounts there for years. On the other hand, BofA hands out credit cards to kids like candy, but the terms on BofA cards are really crappy.

I've also noticed after departing for college that there aren't many Chase branches outside New York. Everything seems to be BofA.

Yeah I tried for a Freedom Card and got denied. For some reason I got a Capital One Secured however...

Yes, I'm very aware of this.  My Asian friends are all from my generation (Chinese, Koreans and so on) and they're much more open than their parents.  My Chinese friend's mother is quite racist and doesn't care for Black people.  Now my friend is dating a Puerto Rican and Black chick.  I don't know if he has introduced her to his mom yet, but I wonder how that went if he did.  She probably went nuts and started cursing in Cantonese.  :lol:

As for BoA and Chase, yeah, Chase is funny like that.  They're really strict with giving out cards and large amounts unless your credit is really good.  BoA will give a card but not high limits unless your credit scores are high.  As for the branches, Chase is #1 in New York City.  Outside of NY BoA is probably the biggest American bank. Chase is headquartered here in NYC. I think BoA started out west IIRC though their presence has grown substantially here as they've bought up smaller banks like Fleet, etc.

Yes I am aware of this, however what I am saying is that with persons from oversees in particularly Korea or Japan they tend to be more openminded as such cities as Seoul, or Tokyo are international hubs. So is New York but in this case sitting in a multicultural country.

Many Africans are coming to Japan to attend universities and look for work, and are successfully meshing in. I've seen this for myself in Japanese talk shows which my ex girlfriend pointed out to me one day. Furthermore I have read recently that many Africans are attending universities in Bejing in our homeland.

In agreement with your quote on Asian Americans, as an Asian American, for what it's worth.

Yes, I'm very aware of this.  My Asian friends are all from my generation (Chinese, Koreans and so on) and they're much more open than their parents.  My Chinese friend's mother is quite racist and doesn't care for Black people.  Now my friend is dating a Puerto Rican and Black chick.  I don't know if he has introduced her to his mom yet, but I wonder how that went if he did.  She probably went nuts and started cursing in Cantonese.

:lol:

I dont find this funny. What is there to LOL about in this?

I dont find this funny. What is there to LOL about in this?

You don't know his mom personally as I do so of course you don't see the LOL in it.  Aside from that it's funny to me because sometimes the most racist parents wind up having kids marry and have boyfriends or girlfriends that are of a race that they don't like.  Happened with another friend of mine as well.  

You don't know his mom personally as I do so of course you don't see the LOL in it.  Aside from that it's funny to me because sometimes the most racist parents wind up having kids marry and have boyfriends or girlfriends that are of a race that they don't like.  Happened with another friend of mine as well.  

The reality is that particularly with Asian girls who are 1/2 genners, they are heavily influenced by their parents and peers in their decision making in choice of mate. Marrying another Asian man or a white man is acceptable but if it is a black man then they get ridiculed, disowned and shunned however with delightful exceptions where we have truely openminded families. I have seen cases of Asian girls having abortions of their Afro-Asian unborn children because of pressure from peers and family. It gets that deep.

It's not as bad with Asian men and their decision making in terms of who they date however.

The reality is that particularly with Asian girls who are 1/2 genners, they are heavily influenced by their parents and peers in their desision making in choice of mate. Marrying another Asian man or a white man is acceptable but if it is a black man then they get ridiculed, disowned and shunned however with delightful exceptions where we have truely openminded families. I have seen cases of Asian girls having abortions of their Afro-Asian unborn children because of pressure from peers and family. It gets that deep.

Not surprised at all... That's why I chuckle because for all of the "we're one people folks out there", there is still a TON of racism.  Sometimes people just try to be more subtle but it's still there.  The way I see it, those people are simply exercising their true beliefs on things.  Being of mixed background, I've heard and seen all sorts of things from people that they would dare say or do in public or say around Black people for that matter, but are fine saying behind closed doors.  

I still remember a friend of mine talking about this Black chick on TV and how her hair was almost "normal". lol

I'll vouch for this...carrying a C1 card these days myself...except now my credit score aint so low.

I have two of them myself.  I have too many credit cards in all honesty, but I have at least one with every main bank  :lol:, but it's because most of them I don't pay any yearly fee for with low interest rates, so why not.  I've had Capital One going back to my early college days, then I was irresponsible with several cards, but then I paid them all off and had no credit cards at all, but Capital One was one of the first credit card companies to say that they wanted my business back so I got one then they offered another and then all of the others followed... Chase, BoA, Citibank, Amex, Discover and the like.  :lol:

As for BoA and Chase, yeah, Chase is funny like that.  They're really strict with giving out cards and large amounts unless your credit is really good.  BoA will give a card but not high limits unless your credit scores are high.  As for the branches, Chase is #1 in New York City.  Outside of NY BoA is probably the biggest American bank. Chase is headquartered here in NYC. I think BoA started out west IIRC though their presence has grown substantially here as they've bought up smaller banks like Fleet, etc.

Yep - Bank of America is originally from San Francisco, but BofA runs things out of Charlotte now.

The lack of Chase banks outside of New York is pretty jarring, though - the only Chase in the Boston metro area seems to be in Boston Logan, which is sad considering even HSBC has street branches in Boston.

Yep - Bank of America is originally from San Francisco, but BofA runs things out of Charlotte now.

The lack of Chase banks outside of New York is pretty jarring, though - the only Chase in the Boston metro area seems to be in Boston Logan, which is sad considering even HSBC has street branches in Boston.

HSBC is probably the most global out of the three to be honest.  I had HSBC years ago as a college student and used them when living in Europe.  They didn't have many but they did a few branches in Italy, but too far north (Turin for example) so it didn't even matter since I wasn't living in Turin and the time that I visited Turin, I was not going to go seek out an HSBC ATM for a meager amount of savings if any.  HSBC also has a presence in Canada as well.

I think it's just a self-esteem issue. I mean on the weekends, I'm perfectly happy with just a plain inexpensive American made t-shirt and a straight leg jeans. The name isn't important.  I just don't like the sweat shop stuff, but I'm not all opposed to inexpensive clothing that aren't the big names.  It's all about the fit.  Most of the stuff that I have doesn't have the name of what I'm wearing shown because aside from on the inside because I'm not out there advertising for anyone.  Whatever I wear is my business and no one else's.  When Burberry became "popular" years ago, all of the folks that would wear it because it was exclusive just stopped, including me.  I had a few dress shirts of theirs from Saks and some piqué shirts from Bloomies for the weekends.  I knew some folks were wearing knock-offs, but still.  I don't like the idea seeing a particular brand that I wear plastered all about. I went and bought some plain piqué shirts that were cut just as nice and American made for probably half the price. lol  Some folks aren't used to nice things so they have to "advertise" to make themselves look big. lol

Nah man, with these Black boys out here, it's much bigger than a self-esteem issue.... That I'm certain of.

Too many of these black boys these days are growing up in households with few to zero semblance of MEN in it whatsoever, chances are, you're gonna have feminine tendencies..... Remember how they tried to pass the whole "movement" (if you wanna call it that) as being metrosexual.... Lol, I saw that shit for what it was from jump.... The result is what you're seeing/getting from these boys..... Barney's New York... smh....

Funny thing is, say 20 yrs. or so ago, parents had to worry about the streets raising their kids - aint gotta worry about too much of that anymore.... Mamma & 'untee & gran'ma & great gran'ma & big sis' & any other female you can name from up off a family tree is doing a piss poor job of raising these boys..... Victor's secret isn't too far away, wouldn't be surprised if a store of sorts being opened is in the works as I type this....

Anyway, As far as name brand clothing vs. non name brand clothing or w/e, yeah, not being used to anything has somethin to do with it as well.... Which is why you'll (even) get the women that blow the a] amt. of money & b] (more importantly) the percentage of what they earn, on clothing..... Hell, do what you want with what you earn, but the gubbermint (government) on down to the common man knows full well that women are the BIGGEST consumers out - and the exploitation is very much apparent..... When I watch shows like Suze Orman (for example), I laugh whenever I see how much CC debt & how little in savings & retirement these women have..... They tell on themselves.... Case in point, these women don't dress for us (men) - They dress because they're in competition with themselves.... The former is one of the biggest misconceptions a lot of men believe....

Ya got bitches tryna out-do bitches...

Now you got nzzzzz tryna out-do nzzzzz when it comes to fashion - What part of the game is that..... 

What's scary from some of these black boys/young black men is that they have this mindset that involves being dependent on their woman (this is from the street dude on down to the "square" dude).... for examply, big 6'5" 250+lb able bodied MF-er being financially supported by lil ole 5 foot nothin, 120 lb chick with some job/a career in the medical field or whatever.... That's good for the woman in that case b/c she's holdin fort, but for the dude in that situation, totally embarrassing..... I would rather be homeless than to have my lady support me financially (and I've told her that too).....

But yeah man, these high end stores can charge as much as they want b/c they know they'll have a solidified customer base - and the gap b/w said customer base being strictly well to do whites, and that of any non-white person being lesser off, is decreasing (including Black women & these young black boys growing up).... Not to say black men my age aren't into nice shit, but I will agree it goes back to the point it seems that you're getting at....

...which is WHY folks buy from these places.

^Damn everything you said was just informing and on point.

Growing up with just my mom and lil sis, my mother from time to time would fear I'd come out as one of those "down-low brothas". She was afriad I wouldn't grow up to be a real man and so that's why she sent my ass to live with my father at 16 back in 2011. Thou didn't last too long at all...

Nah man, with these Black boys out here, it's much bigger than a self-esteem issue.... That I'm certain of.

Too many of these black boys these days are growing up in households with few to zero semblance of MEN in it whatsoever, chances are, you're gonna have feminine tendencies..... Remember how they tried to pass the whole "movement" (if you wanna call it that) as being metrosexual.... Lol, I saw that shit for what it was from jump.... The result is what you're seeing/getting from these boys..... Barney's New York... smh....

Funny thing is, say 20 yrs. or so ago, parents had to worry about the streets raising their kids - aint gotta worry about too much of that anymore.... Mamma & 'untee & gran'ma & great gran'ma & big sis' & any other female you can name from up off a family tree is doing a piss poor job of raising these boys..... Victor's secret isn't too far away, wouldn't be surprised if a store of sorts being opened is in the works as I type this....

Anyway, As far as name brand clothing vs. non name brand clothing or w/e, yeah, not being used to anything has somethin to do with it as well.... Which is why you'll (even) get the women that blow the a] amt. of money & b] (more importantly) the percentage of what they earn, on clothing..... Hell, do what you want with what you earn, but the gubbermint (government) on down to the common man knows full well that women are the BIGGEST consumers out - and the exploitation is very much apparent..... When I watch shows like Suze Orman (for example), I laugh whenever I see how much CC debt & how little in savings & retirement these women have..... They tell on themselves.... Case in point, these women don't dress for us (men) - They dress because they're in competition with themselves.... The former is one of the biggest misconceptions a lot of men believe....

Ya got bitches tryna out-do bitches...

Now you got nzzzzz tryna out-do nzzzzz when it comes to fashion - What part of the game is that..... 

What's scary from some of these black boys/young black men is that they have this mindset that involves being dependent on their woman (this is from the street dude on down to the "square" dude).... for examply, big 6'5" 250+lb able bodied MF-er being financially supported by lil ole 5 foot nothin, 120 lb chick with some job/a career in the medical field or whatever.... That's good for the woman in that case b/c she's holdin fort, but for the dude in that situation, totally embarrassing..... I would rather be homeless than to have my lady support me financially (and I've told her that too).....

But yeah man, these high end stores can charge as much as they want b/c they know they'll have a solidified customer base - and the gap b/w said customer base being strictly well to do whites, and that of any non-white person being lesser off, is decreasing (including Black women & these young black boys growing up).... Not to say black men my age aren't into nice shit, but I will agree it goes back to the point it seems that you're getting at....

...which is WHY folks buy from these places.

LOL... That's too funny... Victor's secret.

Archived