Black teen sues Barney's claiming racism

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - Bank of America is originally from San Francisco, but BofA runs things out of Charlotte now.

The lack of Chase banks outside of New York is pretty jarring, though - the only Chase in the Boston metro area seems to be in Boston Logan, which is sad considering even HSBC has street branches in Boston.

This isnt true in the midwest.

Since Chase bought out First Midwest, there presence is extremely strong here. BofA is well behind them. When I'm in chicago you cant go a block or two with out there being a Chase.

The only blank spot is the UIC campus. Mainly because TCF coined a deal with the University system to become the single bank on campus. I have to go almost 3/4ths of a mile to reach a chase branch from campus.

(I bank with them)

Nah man, with these Black boys out here, it's much bigger than a self-esteem issue.... That I'm certain of.

Too many of these black boys these days are growing up in households with few to zero semblance of MEN in it whatsoever, chances are, you're gonna have feminine tendencies..... Remember how they tried to pass the whole "movement" (if you wanna call it that) as being metrosexual.... Lol, I saw that shit for what it was from jump.... The result is what you're seeing/getting from these boys..... Barney's New York... smh....

Although not limited to black kids I have seen the same trend in single income households where boys are dominated by female members of the family who cannot teach their sons, grandsons and nephews to be men. Becoming effeminated or lacking in social adeptness otherwise without the parental guidance of a father.  Sad but fact.

I can see what you are saying now.

SMH. As a minority I've never had anything against Macy's, and likewise I never felt I was ever being discriminated against, but as of late their apparel and and other items seemed to be geared towards a different demographic, and (not) coincidentally nothing really appeals to my taste anymore.

What I don't get with all three incidents is the fact that they keep letting these guys go if there's something wrong with the card. What happened to just holding them at the store?

To be honest retailers have no power to detain anyone in stores, mainly due to liability. So, if say an individual was stopped at the door they could just leave if they chose to do so.

What I don't get with all three incidents is the fact that they keep letting these guys go if there's something wrong with the card. What happened to just holding them at the store?

They do it like this to avoid any conflict or someone getting hurt.  It's the same thing in the banks.  They always tell the cashiers not to try and be heroes.  If someone wants money, give it to them and notify the police.  It's not good for business to have startled customers.  You'd scare away the high-end customers who spend lots of money and that would do far more damage long term because that circle is small.  One person talks to another and next thing you know, the folks that spend money just won't go to the store or will go to another store instead.

lol... What's next... Shopping while tall? Next thing you know everyone is going to be suing every time you turn around.

Next thing you know they'll get you for window shopping.

Shopping while tall? Next thing you know everyone is going to be suing every time you turn around.

Shopping while broke should suffice.... lol...

Ever been on a line somewhere where someone tries to pay for something using a debit/credit card - only for that person to be told there's insufficient funds on the card..... You wanna see me curse up a storm, be someone in front of me in a line that I'm on.... I used to laugh at ppl. when that happened, now it angers the f*** out of me..... Going plastic & not knowing how much you done went plastic on, that day, week, whatever...... This is why I'm an advocate of sticking to cash - especially places where you aint spending wads of cash....

CC payment for a dollar menu fries & drink.... f*** out my way with that.... it's worse when there's some type of malfunction that occurs, which isn't as rare an occurrence as you'd originally think....

Ever been on a line somewhere where someone tries to pay for something using a debit/credit card - only for that person to be told there's insufficient funds on the card..... You wanna see me curse up a storm, be someone in front of me in a line that I'm on.... I used to laugh at ppl. when that happened, now it angers the f*** out of me..... Going plastic & not knowing how much you done went plastic on, that day, week, whatever...... This is why I'm an advocate of sticking to cash - especially places where you aint spending wads of cash....

No. I advocate financial responsibility. Having been a cashier, I've also seen many people come buy things without knowing how much cash they had. A card works. People just need to be on top of their money.

Shopping while broke should suffice.... lol...

CC payment for a dollar menu fries & drink.... f*** out my way with that.... it's worse when there's some type of malfunction that occurs, which isn't as rare an occurrence as you'd originally think....

LOL... Actually that's never happened in my case.  It's probably because I don't shop in stores a lot for clothes and such.  Most of my shopping is done online.  I hate shopping in stores because of the pushy sales people and the crowds.  Also some of the stuff I buy from Europe I can only get it online, but if I need dress shirts in particular, then I HAVE to go to Bloomies or Saks because the brands that I buy that last a long time and fit me well in terms of dealing with the long arms issue are only sold in those stores for the most part.  What I try to do is shop during times when those stores won't be mobbed and that's usually right around the time that it starts to get a little chilly out. You can get some nice bargains around that time too at times.

I'm one of those types that buy the same brands that are tried and true to ensure that I don't waste my money, so if I'm going to pay $200 - 250 for a dress shirt, well I know I'll get several years use out of it, so that makes it easy for me to get in and out once I get a salesman to come over and get what I want, which is usually quick.  They seem to know who wants to spend money in those stores.  lol  I had one chick in Bloomies, she must've spent a good hour with me, literally shopping with me to get what I wanted.  I got a few dress shirts and a jacket and a dress coat.  Wound up spending a over 2k that I didn't plan on spending but I got exactly what I wanted and was in and out, just the way I like it, though we did have to look a little bit because they didn't have a few things in my size that I had planned on getting in advance.  If you get the right sales person, they'll get you good with the discounts too.  Similar situation with this other chick I had helping me in Nordstrom out in Paramus.

I can imagine that scenario happening in some stores though. lol

Next thing you know they'll get you for window shopping.

lol

No. I advocate financial responsibility. Having been a cashier, I've also seen many people come buy things without knowing how much cash they had. A card works. People just need to be on top of their money.

A card doesn't work when you don't know how much money you have in your own account.... That is not financial responsibility.

People utilizing plastic in these stores like money grows on trees & comes out of the thin blue sky & then stand there shocked & embarrassed as if money's just gonna appear in the account, is not financial responsibility.....

Yeah you get people that don't know how much cash they have on them at the time... that's not financial responsibility either, but if you don't have the cash on hand when you attempt to pay for something with cash, those ppl. know they are SOL & keep it pushin (way more often than not, compared to ppl that pay w/ credit or debit cards).... The ones that have insufficient funds on a card though, wanna stand there & curse out/argue with the cashier, like the reader is the problem or something.... Either that, or again, expect the sufficient funds for whatever's being purchased to come out of thin air at that particular moment.... It's beyond annoying.....

LOL... Actually that's never happened in my case.  It's probably because I don't shop in stores a lot for clothes and such.  Most of my shopping is done online.  I hate shopping in stores because of the pushy sales people and the crowds.  

Also some of the stuff I buy from Europe I can only get it online, but if I need dress shirts in particular, then I HAVE to go to Bloomies or Saks because the brands that I buy that last a long time and fit me well in terms of dealing with the long arms issue are only sold in those stores for the most part.  What I try to do is shop during times when those stores won't be mobbed and that's usually right around the time that it starts to get a little chilly out. You can get some nice bargains around that time too at times.

I'm one of those types that buy the same brands that are tried and true to ensure that I don't waste my money, so if I'm going to pay $200 - 250 for a dress shirt, well I know I'll get several years use out of it, so that makes it easy for me to get in and out once I get a salesman to come over and get what I want, which is usually quick.  They seem to know who wants to spend money in those stores.  lol  I had one chick in Bloomies, she must've spent a good hour with me, literally shopping with me to get what I wanted.  I got a few dress shirts and a jacket and a dress coat.  Wound up spending a over 2k that I didn't plan on spending but I got exactly what I wanted and was in and out, just the way I like it, though we did have to look a little bit because they didn't have a few things in my size that I had planned on getting in advance.  If you get the right sales person, they'll get you good with the discounts too.  Similar situation with this other chick I had helping me in Nordstrom out in Paramus.

Lucky you.... I'm not much of an online shopper because for one, I don't like the fact that I have to pay extra for something to get in my possession faster..... But you don't have to deal with crowds though... Guess that's the trade-off.....

A card doesn't work when you don't know how much money you have in your own account.... That is not financial responsibility.

People utilizing plastic in these stores like money grows on trees & comes out of the thin blue sky & then stand there shocked & embarrassed as if money's just gonna appear in the account, is not financial responsibility.....

Yeah you get people that don't know how much cash they have on them at the time... that's not financial responsibility either, but if you don't have the cash on hand when you attempt to pay for something with cash, those ppl. know they are SOL & keep it pushin (way more often than not, compared to ppl that pay w/ credit or debit cards).... The ones that have insufficient funds on a card though, wanna stand there & curse out/argue with the cashier, like the reader is the problem or something.... Either that, or again, expect the sufficient funds for whatever's being purchased to come out of thin air at that particular moment.... It's beyond annoying.....

Lucky you.... I'm not much of an online shopper because for one, I don't like the fact that I have to pay extra for something to get in my possession faster..... But you don't have to deal with crowds though... Guess that's the trade-off.....

Yeah, most of the places I shop online with have free overnight shipping, so you really can't beat it and free returns as well.  That's why foot traffic has slowed down in some stores.  

As for credit card issues, funny you mention that.  I was trying to order lunch online Friday and I kept getting a message that my credit card was declined.  I tried twice.  After that I said, I guess Citibank must've blocked my card for some reason. They go overkill with that credit card fraud nonsense.  So I call them and I tell them that I'm trying to get some lunch, and told them the amount.  It was only $26.00 or so with the tip already included.  The guy is like no sir, there is no block on your card at all.  You're free to make the purchase.  So then I'm really confused because the card still wouldn't work and while I have other Citi credit cards I don't like using multiple cards for transactions, this way I remember what card I use where if I get fradulent charges.  So then I call the store and ask them if they're having problems processing orders online and the lady is like yep we are.  This is the kind of store that will allow you to order something when they're already out of stock and then they'll call you every five minutes to order something else.  I love ordering from there because the food is fantastic and it beats dealing with the killer crowds in the actual store, but that part annoys me.  Anywho, I had to place the order over the phone since the cash option wouldn't work either. SMH

I know what my balance is on my card at any time. Download your bank's mobile app. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone.

I know what my balance is on my card at any time. Download your bank's mobile app. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone.

That's great that you're up on game, but you're giving the general public way too much credit; it doesn't matter much if they have smartphones..... Whilst on these lines, the lot of them aren't gonna take time out to check how much funds in their account anyway..... The carelessness is that apparent....

Yeah, most of the places I shop online with have free overnight shipping, so you really can't beat it and free returns as well.  That's why foot traffic has slowed down in some stores.  

As for credit card issues, funny you mention that.  I was trying to order lunch online Friday and I kept getting a message that my credit card was declined.  I tried twice.  After that I said, I guess Citibank must've blocked my card for some reason. They go overkill with that credit card fraud nonsense.  So I call them and I tell them that I'm trying to get some lunch, and told them the amount.  It was only $26.00 or so with the tip already included.  The guy is like no sir, there is no block on your card at all.  You're free to make the purchase.  So then I'm really confused because the card still wouldn't work and while I have other Citi credit cards I don't like using multiple cards for transactions, this way I remember what card I use where if I get fradulent charges.  So then I call the store and ask them if they're having problems processing orders online and the lady is like yep we are.  This is the kind of store that will allow you to order something when they're already out of stock and then they'll call you every five minutes to order something else.  I love ordering from there because the food is fantastic and it beats dealing with the killer crowds in the actual store, but that part annoys me.  Anywho, I had to place the order over the phone since the cash option wouldn't work either. SMH

Better be careful with these sites that have "problems" with online orders, especially in regards to credit cards.... But what's this bit about harassing you to get something else after making a purchase? Any site that allows future orders or back ordering I'm skeptical of anyway; if you don't have it, state/show that you don't have that/those items & gray it out/zero it out or whatever.....

That's great that you're up on game, but you're giving the general public way too much credit; it doesn't matter much if they have smartphones..... Whilst on these lines, the lot of them aren't gonna take time out to check how much funds in their account anyway..... The carelessness is that apparent....

Better be careful with these sites that have "problems" with online orders, especially in regards to credit cards.... But what's this bit about harassing you to get something else after making a purchase? Any site that allows future orders or back ordering I'm skeptical of anyway; if you don't have it, state/show that you don't have that/those items & gray it out/zero it out or whatever.....

Well I give them the benefit of the doubt because it's food but still.  I've ordered from other sites that do what you mention above and that saves the aggravation.  With them though, they kind of know that if they don't have "X" then I'm going to want something else because I need food!  They're pricey but they offer usually natural or organic food, but you need to order say a sandwich and a hearty soup to actually feel like you've eaten, then some snacks on the side and dessert for later. I don't eat breakfast and sometimes eat light for dinner so a substantial lunch becomes a must.

As for those sites, that's precisely why I have various credit and charge cards.  Anytime there are fraudulent charges or charges that I didn't approve, I just call the card company up and they take care of them.  I prefer that set up than using a bank card.  Their money being used (as in the bank's money) versus your money being used.  Zappos had a security breach once, and as soon as I heard about it, I immediately called Amex and had them overnight me a brand new card on their dime of course. lol  They've done that for me on a few occasions in fact.

Then they should not be spending at any of these places at all. I'm not saying to constantly check on the phone, but knowing approximately how much you spent should be intrinsic to every citizen participating in the economy. Spending without having a clue how much you have (whether it's credit or cash) is like a man without testosterone. Something vital is missing in these people.

Then they should not be spending at any of these places at all. I'm not saying to constantly check on the phone, but knowing approximately how much you spent should be intrinsic to every citizen participating in the economy. Spending without having a clue how much you have (whether it's credit or cash) is like a man without testosterone. Something vital is missing in these people.

Must we diverge into that discussion again?

Jokes aside some people have no accountability to speak of. It's all around you. The people who hold up the line to call their credit companies, the people who ask the cashier to remove items to lower the total, etc.

Makes me glad I'm out of the service industry, for now at least, only time before I'm at it again.

So what i he bought a $349 belt? Wether he sold drugs or whatever the issue, its not right to judge someone based on how they look. You dont know of thos person comes from a weathly backround, you just dont know. Just because you dress a certin way going into a snobby store can get ypu arrested, that just wrong matter where he gets the money from.

I dress like that, and yes i shop in expensive stores and dare someone to accuse me of credit card fruad. What about the rappers who go in those stores and spend thousands on a chain. If this kid what to buy the belt leave him the hell alone.

This country gets more and more fukd up everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

So what i he bought a $349 belt? Wether he sold drugs or whatever the issue, its not right to judge someone based on how they look. You dont know of thos person comes from a weathly backround, you just dont know. Just because you dress a certin way going into a snobby store can get ypu arrested, that just wrong matter where he gets the money from.

I dress like that, and yes i shop in expensive stores and dare someone to accuse me of credit card fruad. What about the rappers who go in those stores and spend thousands on a chain. If this kid what to buy the belt leave him the hell alone.

This country gets more and more fukd up everyday.

They're treated the same way... The fact of the matter is they're targeted by the police because of how they present themselves.  It may not be right, but I will say that it's rather foolish.  It's comes down to this. People are free to present themselves however they want to, but there are always consequences for our actions and you have to be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions, so if you know that dressing a certain way could bring you negative or undesired attention and you choose to dress that way, well then it is what it is.  

They're treated the same way... The fact of the matter is they're targeted by the police because of how they present themselves.  It may not be right, but I will say that it's rather foolish.  It's comes down to this. People are free to present themselves however they want to, but there are always consequences for our actions and you have to be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions, so if you know that dressing a certain way could bring you negative or undesired attention and you choose to dress that way, well then it is what it is.  

Here we go again. So skin color and preference where it comes to pop culture and dress is the consequence of their actions, thats what you are suggesting. Look a bit more closely at the pics posted on any of the articles. The accused don't look like the thugs that you are protraying them to be.

Here we go again. So skin color and preference where it comes to pop culture and dress is the consequence of their actions, thats what you are suggesting. Look a bit more closely at the pics posted on any of the articles. The accused don't look like the thugs that you are protraying them to be.

I didn't say anything about skin color.  What I said was we're all free to dress and present ourselves as we please, but at the same time people are going to have preconceived notions about us based on how we present ourselves, whether or not we agree with them and whether or not we like how we're treated as a result, but it comes with the territory. So yeah, this guy will sue, but it won't stop these sorts of incidents from happening.

Archived