What can get your probation extended

RTS4Life

Question: I am #271 for exam 2613. Therefore, depending on how the hiring process goes, I expect to be hired within the next 2 to 3 months.

However, this is also my last term at Polytechnic Institute of N.Y.U. in downtown Brooklyn, which means that I am graduating in December. The date of my commencement is May 21st, 2014 (Wednesday) at Yankee Stadium.

If my future RDO (regular days off) is a Wednesday, this will work out perfect. If this is not the case, is there any way I can submit documentation so I can get the day off to attend this once in a lifetime event, without getting my probation extended?

I'm sure this (or something similar) has happened in the past, like when someone on probation has a death in their family or something similar...

Thanks in advance.

Dont expect them to accommodate you.

Delete the date right now, and ask RTS4life to delete his message.

Call in sick, 1 time !!!

ask some one with Wen to swap days off with you.

Talk to union rep as soon as possible

Death in the family is excused leave.

When I got call down for my interview  A.K.A paper work. I told them  I already paid for a trip which was 4-months away and I could not cancel or move the date. When I pass my training and got my depot. The people at 180 let my G/M know about my trip. When it was time to go on my trip. I was told  when I come back I could not call out once or have any problems over the road  or my probation would be extended one more year. I made my year many years ago but they did watch me like a hawk when I got back 4 rides  and a few drug tests. I'm still driving and love it. Just don't lie about anything. Death in the family you need copy of death certificate. 

Question: I am #271 for exam 2613. Therefore, depending on how the hiring process goes, I expect to be hired within the next 2 to 3 months.

However, this is also my last term at Polytechnic Institute of N.Y.U. in downtown Brooklyn, which means that I am graduating in December. The date of my commencement is May 21st, 2014 (Wednesday) at Yankee Stadium.

If my future RDO (regular days off) is a Wednesday, this will work out perfect. If this is not the case, is there any way I can submit documentation so I can get the day off to attend this once in a lifetime event, without getting my probation extended?

I'm sure this (or something similar) has happened in the past, like when someone on probation has a death in their family or something similar...

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious, how did you decide to change from an engineering career training to B/O?

Hey fellow Transit workers. you can make things happen with the union. What i mean is if your RDO's are normally a Monday Tuesday but you need a Thursday Friday for one week you can submit a change of rdo slip. You can also use a vacation day (AVA), personal day or overtime you banked to cover your work. I notice you guys talked about sick day. You will be extended for sick time used but I’m not sure that you understand the difference between a sick day and a sick intense. 1 day = 1 intense, 4 days sick consecutively = 1 intense. 2 days sick then calling out sick again for 1 more day the next week is 2 intense. Your probation will be extended how may days you called out sick. After 2 intense they can extend your probation 3,6 possible 12 months depending our you and your work habits.

• 2 weeks later...

He can also use his OTO to save calling out sick or using vacation time.  From what I hear they really don't want you taking any time during probation.

There's nothing wrong with using vacation time during probation*.

Sick time is a different story.

*The only thing they don't want is you using vacation during TRAINING as you need to be there to learn, however once you are released to the crew office, there's nothing stopping you from taking vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When you are in the road alone, take as many AVAs, OTOs you banked on to kill time. Ill advised not to work your RDO during probation and most incidents occurred on the RDO where inattention and lack of rest plays a factor. The money is there to make when you are extra board and picked up a full job, plus any late clears and deadhead/travel time to make your Bacon (board time), Lettuce (late clears), and Tomato (traveltime/deadhead) sandwich for that day. If you want to make the mayo or what sauce you like, put a 'no lunch', if possible.

Archived