New York City Subway Smell Map

Trainspotter

New York City Subway Smell Map

We asked, and you answered. Presenting the New York City Subway Smell Map, created with the able assistance of Gawker readers universe-wide. [float=right]smell%20map%20live.jpg[/float]We've separated hundreds of reader smell reports into ten distinct categories of aromas: food, feces, vomit, sewage, perfume, alcohol, you name it. Glide your mouse over any subway station on the map to see the station name, subway lines, and smell categories. Click, and the popup expands to reveal Zagat-style excerpts from actual reader reports. Careful study and rote memorization of the smell map will allow you to navigate the subway system without even opening your eyes. Of course, you'll have to train your nose to distinguish the local urine varietals at each station, but that's a small price to pay. Note also that the map remains open to future submissions for stations not yet covered or stations currently under-covered. All due props to consummate mapmaker Will James at onNYTurf for use of his elegant subway map. Enjoy this finely interactive and cartographic work of investigative service journalism.

Check it out here: http://www.gawker.com/maps/smell/

"Asscake deathvenom animal carcass ... Burnt rubber.", "Cow shit" is this a joke?

If it ain't its funny as hell. I use the 14th Street Union Square station every weekday and I don't smell anything at all. I don't know what to think of this.

Whether that map is true or not it's so damn funny. Take a look at what they have to say:

"F is for Fetid, Funky, Fresh poop ... Vodka, stronger than the urine ... Like being inside the bowels of a very sick animal ... Like death mixed with poop ... Oceans of waste ... Sickly-sweet piss-decay, undertone of feces and tuberculosis ... Rotting flesh."

"Like old cheese and vomit, mixed with dog food ... Halitosis and aged cabbage ... Rank Swiss cheese ... Sour milk ... Pee in the air every day ... Like an open corpse ... Like a musty homeless person decomposing in musky homeless person urine ... Caramel with a slight undertone of mildly rank underarm ... Rodenticide."

"Magic snakes."

"Smell of outer space (presumably)."

My home stations (depending where I park in the morning) are 53rd Street, 45th Street or 36th Street, all underground, and they all do not smell at all according to my nose. There's not much homelessness around this area of Brooklyn just a few panhandlers once in a while.

My section of the Bronx has some homeless people around it (not as much as some other areas, though). I've seen panhandlers around the main street in the neighborhood (Southern Blvd./Westchester Ave.) not infrequently.

This area has improved greatly in the past 15 years; during Dinkins' tenure, it was one of the most run-down neighborhoods in the entire city, and it gained notoriety, being under the jurisdiction of the infamous 41st Precinct.

Archived