Notorious 'Biggie' jacket has set off much jealousy-driven violence in New York - NY Daily News

realizm

biggie11n-1-web.jpg

The Marmot Mammoth Jacket is filled with down, has a zip-off hood and boasts lots of pockets — all for about $700 or $800. It's also a status symbol among teens in New York, leading to shootings like the one in Bryant Park on Saturday.

By Corinne Lestch / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, November 10, 2013, 10:59 PM

Corey Dunton's alleged shooting spree at Bryant Park on Saturday was not the first time bullets went flying in New York because of the Marmot Mammoth coat, also known as “the Biggie.”

The utilitarian down jacket, which usually runs between $700 and $800, was the cause of bloodshed in at least two previous instances.

Raphael Ward, 16, was shot in the chest earlier this year on the Lower East Side during a scuffle with a group of teens who coveted his coat.

The 11th-grader had just bought the jacket.

Read more: Source

dunton-9.jpg

Police arrested Corey Dunton 16, on Sunday for the Saturday night shooting of Javier Contreras and Adonis Mera at Bryant Park.

Police charged a Bronx teenager with attempted murder and other charges Sunday in the Bryant Park ice rink shooting after he issued a stunning Facebook confession and suicide threat for the Saturday night melee that wounded two carefree skaters.

Cops nabbed suspect Corey Dunton, 16, after an hour-long standoff at his apartment building while the alleged gangbanger was posting to his Facebook page from a mobile device — essentially admitting that he took a showdown over a pricey jacket way too far.

Read more: Source

=========================================

These articles would be important for the kids to read, because of how dangerous things can get quickly on material items, especially now with so many users taking advantage of social media such as Facebook to communicate with friends. Sure kids has been always robbing others for jackets. But what makes this situation alarming is the fact that this shooting happened in the middle of Midtown Manhattan and involving minors at that.

I'm not understanding what's the big deal behind these jackets and why they're so pricey to begin with?  It's just some overpriced sweatshop garbage.  I've heard of them before and I can't fathom for the life of me why that coat is so expensive.  These kids are fools... 

The term/explanation you are looking for is hype...better known in the sneaker/fashion world.

Most people wouldn't understand the hype in that community just as people wouldn't understand "foam" in this community.

Either way, I'm not paying no $800 for something that looks like that.

With the way these kids act now a days, it's hard to have hope for the future. To spend $800 on a ridiculously bulky coat that will rip and become useless from the slightest snag is beyond stupid. And then to want to shoot somebody over the ugly coat... I don't even think I could bring myself to drop $800 for any single piece of clothing. I wear a $110 Carhartt jacket that is warm enough to wear through the winter months (with the addition of a hoodie when the temperature drops below 10 degrees), and 2 nice Kenneth Cole peacoats that I got on sale from Men's Warehouse for $400 for when I get dressed up.

most of the stuff that I wear is very exclusive

Aren't you special!

With the way these kids act now a days, it's hard to have hope for the future. To spend $800 on a ridiculously bulky coat that will rip and become useless from the slightest snag is beyond stupid. And then to want to shoot somebody over the ugly coat... I don't even think I could bring myself to drop $800 for any single piece of clothing. I wear a $110 Carhartt jacket that is warm enough to wear through the winter months (with the addition of a hoodie when the temperature drops below 10 degrees), and 2 nice Kenneth Cole peacoats that I got on sale from Men's Warehouse for $400 for when I get dressed up.

Same here, can't even imagine spending that much on clothes. Hell, when I was the age of these kids, I was still wearing the same jacket I'd had for the past five years that had long stopped fitting me, just because my family wasn't going to drop that much money on a jacket when the one I had still worked... 

Aren't you special!

Same here, can't even imagine spending that much on clothes. Hell, when I was the age of these kids, I was still wearing the same jacket I'd had for the past five years that had long stopped fitting me, just because my family wasn't going to drop that much money on a jacket when the one I had still worked... 

lol...  Hey listen I have three coats and only one of them is more than $800.00 and it's a high end dress coat from Italy that was about $1,100.00, but this is my third year with that coat.  The others are from Canada but they don't cost $800.00. I think both of them were around $500.00 or $600.00 a piece at the most. That coat in the picture is just some imported sweatshop garbage... Not worth $800.00 that's for sure.

$800 for some stupid jacket? Really, to buy one is one thing, but to try and kill someone over one is just ludicrous. All of the clothes I've had in the last 7 years doesn't even add up to $800. I seriously don't see the reason why anyone would need to buy a jacket that expensive, when you're only going to wear it for a few months at best. I bet they will only wear for a short period of time before the next best thing in fashion comes around, then they'll ditch those things in heartbeat.

Aren't you special!

$800 for some stupid jacket? Really, to buy one is one thing, but to try and kill someone over one is just ludicrous. All of the clothes I've had in the last 7 years doesn't even add up to $800. I seriously don't see the reason why anyone would need to buy a jacket that expensive, when you're only going to wear it for a few months at best. I bet they will only wear for a short period of time before the next best thing in fashion comes around, then they'll ditch those things in heartbeat.

Same here. I didn't have the luxury of parents who can afford expensive garb when I was in high school. 

Furthermore fashion trends are only going to last so long as you both are saying. Currently we are moving into the retro 90's trends in fashion more or less. Eventually, give it some years, this current trend will die out and render the current gear fashionably useless. That being said it is always good to have a modestly good amount of excellent quality clothing rather than a whole lot of cheap stuff.

But regardless I will not pay that amount of money for a jacket either. That can easily go towards the rent, or other needed amenities with the way I am, always carefully budgeting my finances:

The term/explanation you are looking for is hype...better known in the sneaker/fashion world.

Most people wouldn't understand the hype in that community just as people wouldn't understand "foam" in this community.

Either way, I'm not paying no $800 for something that looks like that.

+1 

That's what you get when parents refuse to parent.

Wouldn't just blame parents.... the consumerism mindset of the country is insane.

So that's what happened to Xzibit.... Shooting kids for jackets... Pathetic....

As long as you have sheeple, these jackets will continue to sell... just like the beats by dre headphones, just like the 50 million variations of overpriced jordan's, etc. etc.... It's all about fad influence & quite frankly...

Greed.

They say the children are the future. Boy am I scared. Start praying to God to protect this great nation folks. It's going to be one long trip down to the bottom of the ocean.

For the people that don't believe in God it's not required for you to pray, but just hope this nation pulls through. China isn't going to be a friendly nation for the World..........

They say the children are the future. Boy am I scared. Start praying to God to protect this great nation folks. It's going to be one long trip down to the bottom of the ocean.

For the people that don't believe in God it's not required for you to pray, but just hope this nation pulls through. China isn't going to be a friendly nation for the World..........

This article has nothing to do with nationality or race. That was not the point of the opening post. Thank you.

This article has nothing to do with nationality or race. That was not the point of the opening post. Thank you.

More ad hominems as usual, and it's not even 07:00... actually it's not even 04:00 for me.

We're certainly off to a great start today!

More ad hominems as usual, and it's not even 07:00... actually it's not even 04:00 for me.

We're certainly off to a great start today!

If he has any more feelings of yellow peril to express for whatever reason as he always does he can direct his misguided prejudice here (instead of derailing this thread) : http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43331-jimmy-kimmel-abc-slammed-by-chinese-government-over-offensive-kids-skit-ny-daily-news/

So where did we leave off? We were talking about concerns over today's youth in NYC.....

Same here. I didn't have the luxury of parents who can afford expensive garb when I was in high school.

Furthermore fashion trends are only going to last so long as you both are saying. Currently we are moving into the retro 90's trends in fashion more or less. Eventually, give it some years, this current trend will die out and render the current gear fashionably useless. That being said it is always good to have a modestly good amount of excellent quality clothing rather than a whole lot of cheap stuff.

But regardless I will not pay that amount of money for a jacket either. That can easily go towards the rent, or other needed amenities with the way I am, always carefully budgeting my finances:

Realizm, did you wear British Knights in grade school? Lol

As for this 16 year old thug: mommy and daddy must be so proud of their little angel (of death)

I think there is a deeper problem... More than people killing eachother over shit. 

Its a cultural problem... we have been brainwashed to want things and buy buy buy, but this is unsustainable and must come to an end.

Kids should be taught that material things in the world arent everything. Its something that isnt taught anymore. You go to school to get a job, to buy more shit, then you teach the same to your kids.

I'm not against owning things to be clear. I just want there to be an understanding with the next generation that they cant have everything they want, nor do they need it.

Ramblings of a redhead in the Willis tower here...

Realizm, did you wear British Knights in grade school? Lol

As for this 16 year old thug: mommy and daddy must be so proud of their little angel (of death)

No man, I was'nt that destitute. In fact I can tell you I never had so much fun in my life, (despite all the times I've been in fights with heads from other gangs), in high school. Girls and all that jazz, oh my.

The hell kind of incoherent shit is this.....

I think there is a deeper problem... More than people killing eachother over shit. 

Its a cultural problem... we have been brainwashed to want things and buy buy buy, but this is unsustainable and must come to an end.

Kids should be taught that material things in the world arent everything. Its something that isnt taught anymore. You go to school to get a job, to buy more shit, then you teach the same to your kids.

I'm not against owning things to be clear. I just want there to be an understanding with the next generation that they cant have everything they want, nor do they need it.

Ramblings of a redhead in the Willis tower here...

Of course it is (a deeper problem)..... It's called Consumerism.

The only people I know who like these jackets are very ghetto and uneducated lol.

I always thought those jackets were ugly... and way overpriced... i mean sh** I can go to SoHo and come home with like 5 bags of clothes for $800

That can pay for a new laptop or a damn good DSLR not to mention pay the rent. Can never understand people sometimes, I hear you.

Archived